Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2014, 09:17 AM   #21
GregAndrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
Question about you w the 6w and Greg w the 5w requirement:
Do you always transmit at the higher wattage?
Ive found that the half power is definitely adequate for kayak and mothership communication. Depending on how much you transmit you can double your battery life.
If I was in distress I would kick up to full wattage. Also w the 2.5w you arent talking over others who dont want to hear your conversations anyway since most of us dont follow. proper radio procedure.
You are right that for most conversations for those around you, you will not need more than half the power. But I don't like to fish in the crowds, and often will be more than a couple miles from friends of mine, let alone emergency personnel. Our little handhelds are not likely to step on anyone except those in our immediate vicinity. And even at lesser watts you are probably going to step on someone transmitting from a mile away to somebody near you. Battery life is a good point if you are on a limited recharge excursion. And you are also right that we could all do with some better radio etiquette. The original poster just asked what minimum requirements we would want in a radio, not the minimum settings we may choose. When you are a mile and a half off Manhattan Beach pier and you have an emergency, and have to contact either Redondo Beach or Marina Del Rey harbor authorities you will be glad to have a couple extra watts. Or , at least that is my thinking.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:48 AM   #22
Zed
BANNED

All good points. I was just wondering if everyone stayed on high power all the time. Like I said, in my experience (I hate people too) even on motherships, I haven't ever gone to 5w and can communicate with who I want/need to well enough. Like I said if I was in distress, I would broadcast at 5w.

I've responded to radio checks @2.5w where I was surprised I was heard.

Paddle on.