Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2011, 12:28 PM   #1
TCS

Party Boats

I've gone out to LJ on the New Seaforth a few times lately when the wind was up or when I was feeling lazy and thought I would post up a few do's and donts.

The do's are: you should try this. It's super easy. You just show up with a couple of rods and a bucket of tackle, walk on the boat and they take you to the spots. You might learn a few techniques if you're new to this and you'll probably catch a few fish. They clean the fish for you. When you get back you just drive home and cook it for wifey.

I actually have learned more than a couple of things and have been practicing casting the surface iron some. The captains of the New Seaforth are RJ and Brian, they're pretty cool and they don't hate on kayakers.

On the console of the pilot house there is a big sticker that says 'don't be a dick', which brings us to the donts.

The big one is: Don't be a dick. Don't get too close. I was out there last week anchored up by the kelp and there were a bunch of kayakers around. A couple of guys flylining their macks paddled right up the side of the boat. Like 25 to 30 feet away. It was actually pretty amazing that one of them didn't pick up the flylined sardines the boat had out and make a big birds nest out of it.

You don't want to be close to the boat anyway cause that's where the dogs are.

You're probably not going to get a big trophy this way, although I did get a nice yellow a while back. But it's pretty fun and a change of pace. This is a service business, so if the service is good you need to leave a good tip.

Just my two cents. If you haven't gone, you should check it out. Don't go on that other boat, that dude hates on the kayaks, or so I've heard.
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 01:52 PM   #2
flydigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCS View Post
I've gone out to LJ on the New Seaforth a few times lately when the wind was up or when I was feeling lazy and thought I would post up a few do's and donts.

The do's are: you should try this. It's super easy. You just show up with a couple of rods and a bucket of tackle, walk on the boat and they take you to the spots. You might learn a few techniques if you're new to this and you'll probably catch a few fish. They clean the fish for you. When you get back you just drive home and cook it for wifey.

I actually have learned more than a couple of things and have been practicing casting the surface iron some. The captains of the New Seaforth are RJ and Brian, they're pretty cool and they don't hate on kayakers.

On the console of the pilot house there is a big sticker that says 'don't be a dick', which brings us to the donts.

The big one is: Don't be a dick. Don't get too close. I was out there last week anchored up by the kelp and there were a bunch of kayakers around. A couple of guys flylining their macks paddled right up the side of the boat. Like 25 to 30 feet away. It was actually pretty amazing that one of them didn't pick up the flylined sardines the boat had out and make a big birds nest out of it.

You don't want to be close to the boat anyway cause that's where the dogs are.

You're probably not going to get a big trophy this way, although I did get a nice yellow a while back. But it's pretty fun and a change of pace. This is a service business, so if the service is good you need to leave a good tip.

Just my two cents. If you haven't gone, you should check it out. Don't go on that other boat, that dude hates on the kayaks, or so I've heard.
About getting too close.... I guess it should be common sense to stay at least 100 yards away or you risk getting your lines caught or worse an iron to the skull! And stay 30 yards or more away from any another kayak.. ..Some guys don't give due courtesy to anyone else and it goes both ways. I've had several a party boat come right up along side me and drop anchor... in a kayak and in a boat.. it doesn't matter. Lately I haven't had any bad experiences knock on wood.
flydigital is offline   Reply With Quote