Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 04-23-2016, 08:37 PM   #1
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Chinook Salmon out of Dana Point

Caught while rockfishing http://pforadio.com/listen-captain-t...a-king-salmon/
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:21 PM   #2
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Oh my.

These are years to remember, aren't they?
Old 04-23-2016, 09:58 PM   #3
jruiz
Large Member

Isn't there a weird regulation that once you boat a salmon the whole boat has to be fishing barbless circle hooks from that point on? If so, I'm guessing that caught alot of people off guard
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 11:45 PM   #4
Aaron&Julie

I caught a 24 lber less than a mile out of the Redondo Harbor back around 1978 when Kings and Bluefin made a great showing for months, a truly remarkable year of fishing. The bar was almost level, but I lost the JP that day to a bluefin.

Also, I never had a better tasting fish in my life than that fresh broiled Salmon I filleted that day, and cooked that night. I still drool thinking about it.

Aaron
Old 04-24-2016, 06:09 AM   #5
Dave Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruiz View Post
Isn't there a weird regulation that once you boat a salmon the whole boat has to be fishing barbless circle hooks from that point on? If so, I'm guessing that caught alot of people off guard
It's something like that. Maybe it's that the whole boat has to switch to single hook rigs. I remember hearing one should fill up on rockfish first before pursuing salmon for that reason.
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 09:24 AM   #6
matanaska
Junior

I listened to the radio report and how the captain says his son did everything right with this fish. WRONG! First, you can't keep a Chinook salmon unless it is caught with barbless jhooks if trolling or barbless circle hooks if stopped and using bait. The circles hooks can't be more than 5" apart. On the radio broadcast he says you can't gaff a salmon. In their situation it wasn't a legal take because of the barbed hooks so he is correct in using a net, but if it was a legally caught Chinook salmon 24" or better you could gaff it. Your required to carry a net of 18" diameter at all times regardless if your targeting salmon. If they kept the salmon which it looks like they did then it was illegal and they are supposed to go to barbless hooks once a salmon is kept and since they were probably not trolling it has to be barbless circle hooks.

It pisses me off how regulated we are in northern California when you guys in SoCal blatantly break the law like this and have all these big party boats that rape and pillage the rockfish. They were fishing 300ft. We can't go deeper than 120ft because of yelloweye. You guys don't have yelloweye cause yall already killed them all. Your rockfish season is longer, you have better fishing weather, and you have more people and bigger charter boats while we have way less people, shorter seasons, worse weather, less places to launch, and most of our charters are 6packs, but yet our season isn't open yet and closes in october. Its bs!!

That being said if you ever want to catch a salmon or a real halibut like a pacific halibut from a kayak then get in touch cause I'm a licensed guide out of Humboldt. I have landed numerous pacific halibut over 40" up to 49.5" and lots of salmon to 39".
matanaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 09:42 AM   #7
StinkyMatt

The way you come across.......

Customers are lining up.

No, seriously, who wouldn't want to spend a day fishing with an "angry" guide.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 09:56 AM   #8
Iceman
Administrator

regs you are quoting do not apply south of Point Conception.
Old 04-24-2016, 10:08 AM   #9
momo fish

You joined or changed your name just so you can vent about ONE salmon caught on dumb luck...

Looked up your guide service.. Anger Management Angler.. ?
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 11:40 AM   #10
matanaska
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo fish View Post
regs you are quoting do not apply south of Point Conception

What regs are you talking about? Net is statewide as well as barbless hooks when a salmon is going to be kept. Heck salmon is regulated by the feds and the whole west coast except Alaska is barbless hooks when keeping a salmon.

As far as being angry, Lol I'm far from it and there isn't many customers up here to begin with so it doesn't pay the bills reguardless. I enjoy putting people on fish on occasions, but I would rather put a client on a pacific halibut or salmon than rockfish or lings which aren't even sport fish. Going for rockfish or lings is like going to the grocery store and telling the meat man what you want. It's just too easy to catch rockfish and lings up here.

I'm sure I'll be posting some reports here this year. I'm doing a 3.5 day mothership trip on the Islander the 1st week of June and I hope to do some yellowtail and wsb trips out of La Jolla. I did hire Kevin last year in February and he put my ex and I on some nice yellowtail.

If you lived up here you would have the same opinion and be frustrated that we have more regulated fishing as well as shorter seasons even though we have bigger and plenty of rockfish and lings. In Trinidad I can put you on 18"-20"+ blacks all day long. Lings over 30" are common and big cabezones over 20" too.

This year our salmon season got cut in half and pacific halibut is only the 1st 2 weeks each month through August or until the small quota is met. Fishing here is way different than SoCal. We have real waves on a regular basis. My cutoff is around 10 @ 10 seconds if there is no wind. Don't get me wrong, we do have flat days which is almost necessary to go 5-7 miles offshore to the deep water just to target them. I live in Humboldt so it's hard to be too angry with all the weed smoke in the air.
Old 04-24-2016, 11:46 AM   #11
stevie951
Lurker

I think we just needed another dime bag
Attached Images

~Malibu Stealth-14
~Malibu X-13
stevie951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 11:57 AM   #12
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matanaska View Post
What regs are you talking about? Net is statewide as well as barbless hooks when a salmon is going to be kept. Heck salmon is regulated by the feds and the whole west coast except Alaska is barbless hooks when keeping a salmon.
I'm not really up on Salmon regs but a quick look here says we don't have any one pole or barbless hook restrictions on Chinook down here south of Point Conception. https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Fishing/...n#recreational I'm not sure where the net only/no gaff regs are as there's no mention of that there or In the regs section 27.80 Salmon either.

Old 04-24-2016, 12:23 PM   #13
matanaska
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
I'm not really up on Salmon regs but a quick look here says we don't have any one pole or barbless hook restrictions on Chinook down here south of Point Conception. https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Fishing/...n#recreational I'm not sure where the net only/no gaff regs are as there's no mention of that there or In the regs section 27.80 Salmon either.
I guess your right on the hooks cause it doesn't say anything about gear restrictions unless North of Point Conception. Maybe cause it's so rare. As far as the net rule here it is. The reason I mentioned that one is cause someone posted on Facebook that a game warden issued them a $700 ticket for not having a net. It is a statewide regulation, but it is kind of stupid for kayaks since the purpose of a net is to safely land and release undersized, no take, or out of season fish, but being right on the surface of the water it is easier to release a fish by hand in a kayak plus it is easier on the fish unless it's a nice rubberized net.

Gear restrictions
28.65 General

(d) No gaff hook shall be used to take or assist in landing any finfish shorter than the minimum size limit. For the purpose of this section a gaff hook is any hook with or without a handle used to assist in landing fish or to take fish in such a manner that the fish does not take the hook voluntarily in its mouth. No person shall take finfish from any boat or other floating device in ocean waters without having a landing net in possession or available for immediate use to assist in landing under- size fish of species having minimum size limits; the opening of any such landing net shall be not less than eighteen inches in diameter.
Old 04-24-2016, 01:25 PM   #14
Iceman
Administrator

Ya net law is just not enforced in SoCal, not often you see anyone with a net on their kayak here. I have never heard of anyone sited here.
Old 04-24-2016, 01:44 PM   #15
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

I know about the 18" net regs and always carry one. What I didn't know was that Salmon had to be netted, as the captain said gaffing Salmon was illegal in that radio interview. I can't find any regs to support that claim and think the captain may be wrong (odd for a captain boasting about knowing the regs). I think maybe he confused the regs for inland waters regs which says no gaffs can be possessed or used, but isn't Salmon specific. (CCR Title 14, Section 2.06). Good idea to net it and verify species and seasons, but not illegal to gaff.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:11 AM   #16
AngryTurtle
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Ya net law is just not enforced in SoCal, not often you see anyone with a net on their kayak here. I have never heard of anyone sited here.

I have notice a few kayakers that have nets at LJ, wondered why, now I know!
AngryTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:36 AM   #17
ronbo613
Waterman At Large

I'll start worrying when I catch a yellowtail while I'm fishing for salmon here in Washington.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:17 AM   #18
FISH11

I do carry a folding net, just because of the regulations. It is secure in the back along side of the bait tank, but has never been removed except when unloading the kayak.
Old 04-26-2016, 11:18 AM   #19
PapaDave

Nice fish...
Old 04-26-2016, 12:06 PM   #20
Goose1993

That looks more like a pink salmon doesn't it? I've never seen a king with a green back like that.
Goose1993 is offline   Reply With Quote