Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 05-27-2020, 01:00 PM   #41
Salty

I'm new to the kayak world, but not to fishing. While I greatly appreciate the advice and reports I find here, I get why some don't want to put all the details out there. It took me and my buddy years of trips back and forth to San Clemente Island, tons of trial and error and literally thousands of dollars in fuel and gear before we landed our first BFT over 300#. But so much more satisfaction comes from knowing you were successful because you did your own research, monitored weather/ocean conditions, picked the spot, rigged your own gear and got the right bait out in exactly the right location and landed the fish you were after. Can't beat that feeling.
That said, I give plenty of detail in reports I've written so far because, well, usually by the time a report gets written, it's already too late. The bite is off. Conditions have changed. Whatever. But I also appreciate the reports those of you write so I feel it's the least I can do to give back when I can. Also, most of my reports are from local bass, so I'm not necessarily offering any groundbreaking news. Spoiler alert: Calico bit on sardines!
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 08:54 PM   #42
Oolie
Headshots Only

Having been to Japan and hoarding tackle, I can say with certainty there's no dedicated slow-pitch targeted tackle stateside, so it won't help people to turn them on to it.

There's tons of fakes and stuff pretending, but if you want to bring these techniques to our nearshore waters, you will have to improvise. Or you can go to Japan and bring me back some jigs while you're at it. Then I might even show you how to use them.

Neither here nor there, if you're jonesing for a fish, do it your way.
Oolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 06:41 AM   #43
summers in kuwait

yeah buddy!

Nice work Kevin and thanks for sharing!

Also, for others... its all about time on the water.
I have spent many early mornings out at the Jewel and you'll see Kevin putting in his time.

Ha, I remember one time I got hit and I looked out and then shortly after Kevin got nailed. After finishing the battle, I paddled up to Kevin to compare and both of us had solid homeguards on the deck.

Good times!
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 04:01 PM   #44
stevie951
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris138 View Post
Agree 100%

Hey my guy, you gotta be on the ocean to catch a fish. If a wide open report like this doesn't get you motivated to go get on the water, nothing will.
Hey Chris, long time no talk brother.. In all fairness I was out that day and it was never Wide Open..

The report clarified a lot however..

I was on the inside with a group.. about 70 feet of water... Kev must have been on the middle out.. straight in front of the condo in that 100 foot range.. There was another group of mostly boats out about 3 miles off the point not but 1 or 2 kayakers there..

The location described here was crawling with kayaks, likely 15.. 5 or so boats scattered...

Thanks for the information Kev, let alone the clarification... Cheers on helping others bruh
like many have said, its about time OTW.. I hit those schools of terns and bass with a jig about 50 times, produced a 15 inch calico , 14 inch white fish, and 2 nice salmon groupers off the bottom.. as a couple others commenters said, after that initial bite which was at sun up- early there was not much unless you waited around 12 hours for the PM bite and tide change when the Tails were spotted and caught again.. Time OTW folks

~Malibu Stealth-14
~Malibu X-13
stevie951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 04:17 PM   #45
stevie951
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinginFish View Post

Gosh - even a note from "Lamb" as well!

All the best pappa!

Avery
Quarantine has mostly brought out the best of us.. Cheers to the new golden years of BWE

~Malibu Stealth-14
~Malibu X-13
stevie951 is offline   Reply With Quote