Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 09-03-2019, 05:30 AM   #1
Cronus
Cheat to win

CIH on 8/31

Well we had a small adventure to Hueneme Canyon, the fog rolled in and got quite thick. We never did find any structure or cliff type of edge. One boat came into the harbor not to far from me, was sketchy with low vis so we called it. I came back in with the paddlers while the peddlers took another rout. They were paddling at a good pace to, was over 3.5 mph. Was good to meet some new guys and at least I got to practice with my measuring board, lol - was just glad it actually made it to the measuring part of the board, . I pulled a few poor quality photos of my gopro screen this morning. Had a good short video of us while paddling out in the fog, will get it up tonight or tomorrow.
Attached Images

Cronus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 07:48 AM   #2
Beer Me
Take two

CIH on 8/31

I was so psyched about this one too.

Then I forgot my vhf radio, and the terminal on my FF battery broke leaving me blind and to top it off, I took my Dramamine too late.

I caught bait a and a dink kelp bass to keep the skunk away. When i was losing sight of people and hearing motors, I figured I’d come back another day. We thought you were behind us on the pedal back but it was impossible to tell. Came back to fish the harbor a little bit and ran into you without the paddlers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beer Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 03:14 PM   #3
JohnMckroidJr

Conditions like those are when a radar reflector, air horn, and AIS are a plus. Nothing eerier than launching in darkness with fog -- often makes me feel uncomfortable.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 04:53 PM   #4
FISH11

At the very least use a light and flag, like a Yakattack Visipole. Or do a DIY pole and red light. When you can't even see another kayaker 25 yard away, a boater is never going to see you till it's too late. Been there in La Jolla and the boats are still going approx. 15mph or more.

Last edited by FISH11; 09-03-2019 at 08:08 PM.
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 02:17 PM   #5
Landlover
Junior

You guys are nuts kayaking in the fog... as long as you had fun🤙
Landlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 02:19 PM   #6
Landlover
Junior

Head towards hueneme harbor and fish the edges of the canyon either side with 1oz lead head with a root beer scampi with a strip of squid��

Last edited by Landlover; 09-13-2019 at 02:42 PM.
Landlover is offline   Reply With Quote