Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2013, 05:15 PM   #1
YakAttak

Opinions Needed for first Kayak

Hello yakers,
I've been lurking this forum for a while and now ready to buy my first kayak.
Under a tight budget, so buying used is the only option.
I've came down to 2 yaks that I can buy.
First is a Ocean Scrambler, fair condition, need some works done with straps and I need to add some rod holders for fishing, maybe add a seat with backrest. Cost under $250.

Second is a Malibu Pro Explorer, 1.5 ft longer which is kinda a minus for me since I have a sedan acura and will be putting it on the roof with roof rack. Has built in rod holders, seats and paddles. Cost about $150 more at the top of my budget.

Now, this is where you guys came in. I need opinions/recommendations from people who've used these models before and which one should I pick? I will be using the yak for maily fishing the bays and perhaps occasional out to open water when the sea is calm.

Thank you very much
YakAttak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:31 PM   #2
socal_matt
Cruisin'

I currently use the Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT. IMO, i think it is one of the better kayaks out there, great for a beginner fisherman. Its also incredibly stable, I've about been in every condition in it and I've never flipped. Its handled 20+ mph wind, 3 ft chop, 8 ft rolling swells, rain, some pretty steep wakes left from the boats leaving the harbor, and beach launching is relatively easy with it.

This is just my experience with my kayak. Never really tried anything else, so I cant really give you a side by side comparison with the other one. Otherwise, I strongly recommend this kayak for a beginner.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:21 PM   #3
easyday

Im selling one cheap if ur still looking
Old 06-09-2013, 09:24 PM   #4
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakAttak View Post
Hello yakers,
I've been lurking this forum for a while and now ready to buy my first kayak.
Under a tight budget, so buying used is the only option.
I've came down to 2 yaks that I can buy.
First is a Ocean Scrambler, fair condition, need some works done with straps and I need to add some rod holders for fishing, maybe add a seat with backrest. Cost under $250.

Second is a Malibu Pro Explorer, 1.5 ft longer which is kinda a minus for me since I have a sedan acura and will be putting it on the roof with roof rack. Has built in rod holders, seats and paddles. Cost about $150 more at the top of my budget.

Now, this is where you guys came in. I need opinions/recommendations from people who've used these models before and which one should I pick? I will be using the yak for maily fishing the bays and perhaps occasional out to open water when the sea is calm.

Thank you very much
Unless its 35' long don't worry about the length of the kayak, you'll be OK. I've seen pics of yakkers carrying PA's on Mini Coopers, I would carry my Outback on a 1999 Honda Civic.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:49 PM   #5
YakAttak

Thanks guys. Please keep the comments and recommendations coming cuz I'm still undecided .
Easyday: thanks bro. I've looked at your post and adding yours into my considerations also.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:05 AM   #6
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Thanks guys. Please keep the comments and recommendations coming cuz I'm still undecided .
Easyday: thanks bro. I've looked at your post and adding yours into my considerations also.
Come to the Bass and Brew event and there will be some Moken 14 and Moken 12.5 there for viewing and test paddling. I love these Kayaks and OEX carries them. If you want a Kayak that's stable and paddles well you have got to try the Mokens out.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:54 AM   #7
YakAttak

Thanks Jimmy.
They sure are beauties and I love them. They are just out of my budget right now. And I can't wait much longer to be out in the water .
Old 06-10-2013, 12:41 PM   #8
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Thanks Jimmy.
They sure are beauties and I love them. They are just out of my budget right now. And I can't wait much longer to be out in the water .
What's your budget?

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:11 PM   #9
gear junkie

Maybe with a budget that low you should look into something else?
gear junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:48 PM   #10
YakAttak

About 400 or less for the kayak. Cuz I have to invest into a roof rack, seats, paddles, life vest, etc too. Thanks