Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2013, 06:37 AM   #1
WildernessWanker
WildernessWanker

Ventura skunk

Report from 7/27/13. Launched from the beach just outside the harbor at 0600 and paddled out with ease to the breakwall. The water was a chilly 60° but smooth as glass so I was still looking forward to a fun day. Got to the breakwall and started throwing a 5" BH red calico hunter on 1oz yellow lead. 3rd cast and I get hit, which perks up my outlook for the day. Turned out to be a short calico, the first of only a handful of bass landed and all short. Paddled outside the harbor and up the coast dragging a chovie only for some short strikes. The water never read warmer than 60° so I wasn't too disappointed with my activity. After an hour or so I was getting tired of the 6' rolling swell and paddled into the marina, at a warm 63°, and went back to the BH. Had a few strikes throwing around the slips but nothing landed and off the water at 1100. It was overcast all day and glass in the harbor so I still had a great day. My highlight was running into a kayaker who paddled up to thank me for our conversation a few weeks back. I was landing my kayak when a SUPer was watching and came up to ask questions about my setup and how I felt about being on a kayak, to which I ranted for almost an hour about how great kayaking is. Well following our conversation she was no longer on the fence about kayaking and raced out to buy a brand new kayak. Even if it was only a bay cruiser and an off-brand, it still made my day.

Sorry no pics, but didn't feel like bragging considering the general luck others are having right now. J/K I soaked my camera last trip and it seems to no longer be functioning appropriately.

Last edited by WildernessWanker; 07-28-2013 at 06:41 AM. Reason: Missing info
WildernessWanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:49 AM   #2
momo fish

worth a try.. Never had luck in that harbor, water always to cold and murky for me.. North and south of there are better
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:11 AM   #3
Amish Ed

A handful of short bass is better than nothing. Curious, what's the normal summer time temps up there?
Old 07-28-2013, 10:26 AM   #4
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

By my definition you went out and caught fish, so didn't get skunked at all.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:05 AM   #5
WildernessWanker
WildernessWanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
By my definition you went out and caught fish, so didn't get skunked at all.
Yeah, I meant to write "Ventura skunk almost" but I'm on my phone and it didn't cooperate.

I do go there occasionally because it's close but never do well. Probably just make the drive to Newport from now on.
WildernessWanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:24 AM   #6
gear junkie

haha....must be fate. Was gonna go today then had to clean some drains at 1am last nite. Just woke up and saw this....whew, glad I didn't miss much. You'll get em next week.
gear junkie is offline   Reply With Quote