Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2013, 12:07 AM   #1
easyday

New kayak

I feel as if its coming up on that time for me to purchase a new kayak. Ive had mine for only about 8 months or so but it's a cobra tandem that I put a lot of time and effort into basically converting it to a single user friendly kayak. With that being said, I think I am into the sport enough to spend a little money on a good yak. I am looking at the moken 14, I saw it and it immediately caught my eye and at 6'2 210 I need a decent size kayak and the moken 14 seems really well put together I know a few guys on here have them. Any body have any other suggestions and to be clear I want to paddle. And I am definitely going to have to get down to OEX and demo some kayaks before I make my decision.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:44 AM   #2
Sdspeed

I was leaning towards the Jackson Cuda but with shoulder surgery coming up I'm on hold.
Not mine but a good deal.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/boa/3796751429.html
Sdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:30 AM   #3
Hogstir

I would check out the Ocean Trident 13. I just bought one from Andy at OEX a couple of weeks ago and I love it. I'm 6' 220lbs and fits me great.
Hogstir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:37 AM   #4
danjor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogstir View Post
I would check out the Ocean Trident 13. I just bought one from Andy at OEX a couple of weeks ago and I love it. I'm 6' 220lbs and fits me great.
Also agree to check out the tridents there really nice yaks. I use to have a 15 and it was great. Very fast, glides really well, tons of storage and stable. I regret selling it I haven't gone kayaking since even though I have 2 X factors, looks like my plan to upgrade backfired... Anyone way to trade a camo trident 15 for my camo x factor lol?
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:11 AM   #5
MrPatrick

I really enjoy my Trident 15. I'm 5'9" and formerly 265#s now 240 and dropping. Very stable for someone that is larger.
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:27 AM   #6
Old Man in the Sea

Send a message via Yahoo to Old Man in the Sea
2 cents from the hobie gallery

6'2" 200 lbs - I recommend the pro-angler it will hold you and 400 lbs of gear and fish....you can peddle and hold your pole at the same time....
Old Man in the Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:35 AM   #7
jruiz
Large Member

I'm 5'8" 175 lbs, mostly in the belly area. Is that an apple body type? Oh and I pedal an outback
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:36 AM   #8
rieffer

6'1" / 260. Love my Hobie PA12. You can always paddle, but doing long days and distances, pedalling is the only way to go. The PA is a little slower than the revolution or the oasis but I stay alot drier. if you're fishing in the wind and need to stay over a spot you can't beat the miragedrive. Good luck.
rieffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:57 AM   #9
easyday

Im really looking to paddle my hand was injured and its good therapy to get my strength back if I paddle.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:32 PM   #10
Hogstir

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyday View Post
Im really looking to paddle my hand was injured and its good therapy to get my strength back if I paddle.
Had surgery on my hand 3 months ago. Try out a bent paddle. Made it much easier on the hand. Great combo with my Trident 13 which paddles easily anyway.
Hogstir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:04 PM   #11
YakMedic

I paddle a moken 14 and 12.5 and love the boats. I have had too many kayaks to count and when I got my Moken's I was blown away with the time they put into designing the boats. Even small details like the footrests are designed to be adjusted just by reaching next to your knee. I know most people don't adjust their footrests often, but during the day I like to bend my knees sometimes and prefer keeping my feet braced so I can paddle effectively and its a breeze with the FeelFree system.

It's just one of many small details they paid attention to during design that shows they were really thinking during the build of the boat. Its an extremely well built kayak and I don't think you can go wrong with buying one. Test paddle one from OEX or hit up JimmyZ and he can probably let you paddle his since he is in your area.
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:58 PM   #12
easyday

Ive deff narrowed it down to 3 kayaks which I will test out in 2 weeks its the malibu stealth 14, the jackson cuda 14, and the moken 14,
Old 05-17-2013, 08:02 PM   #13
Sdspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyday View Post
Ive deff narrowed it down to 3 kayaks which I will test out in 2 weeks its the malibu stealth 14, the jackson cuda 14, and the moken 14,
Since I'm stuck on the sidelines I'm looking forward to your in depth reporting
Sdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:52 PM   #14
JarrodMc

I've got a Cuda 14. If you've got questions shoot me a message or I can let you try mine out. OEX just got their shipment in too so you could pay em a visit. They'll take care of you
Old 05-20-2013, 09:07 AM   #15
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrodMc View Post
I've got a Cuda 14. If you've got questions shoot me a message or I can let you try mine out. OEX just got their shipment in too so you could pay em a visit. They'll take care of you
OEX Rocks like that. Congrats on the new pick up.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:15 AM   #16
gear junkie

6'3, 280 and use a pa14. Works great and feels extremely stable. The mirage drive is far enough forward that my legs aren't scrunched at all.
gear junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:40 AM   #17
Toromike
Junior

Have you tried the Native. It has a peddle drve that you can go both front and backwards in. I picked up one at OEX in Mission Bay. great kayak. I am 5'11" 235 and it does fine.
Toromike is offline   Reply With Quote