Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2018, 04:27 PM   #1
ProfessorLongArms

In case it helps...

I went for exactly what you’re talking about but I did not mount the motor inside so that it doesn’t drain if the battery dies and the motor stops running. I have heard that having the motor to high up from the waterline can cause priming issues, but with the little Hobie tip on the bottom it doesn’t seem to be a problem. You definitely want to be a couple of inches below the bottom of the hull. My first try I was just below the hull and it didn’t pick up well at all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 07FE6CAF-EC82-4A4E-8EBB-5A5C51B5ECDE.jpg (51.1 KB, 66 views)
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:57 PM   #2
GregAndrew

Here is my pump assembly with threaded PVC connector that I Gooped the sink strainer to. I also added a bit of foam to deaden the noise transfer.

The other pic is my priming bulb and hose that I remove after a couple squeezes. It can be reinstalled easily otw if you lose prime, but I rarely do.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwegall...5/limit/recent

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwegall...4/limit/recent
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 04:54 AM   #3
TJones

Blue flex hose

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorLongArms View Post
I went for exactly what you’re talking about but I did not mount the motor inside so that it doesn’t drain if the battery dies and the motor stops running. I have heard that having the motor to high up from the waterline can cause priming issues, but with the little Hobie tip on the bottom it doesn’t seem to be a problem. You definitely want to be a couple of inches below the bottom of the hull. My first try I was just below the hull and it didn’t pick up well at all.
Can be capped or the pump itself is threaded . Cap can be purchased at Home Depot. With cap installed the tank can be filled manually . I also use the tank as a giant storage when launching and landing.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 04:58 AM   #4
TJones

Another pic

Of connector. This will never fail. I use this for all electrical connections including meter. Expensive, but bulletproof.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 849AC073-CD15-494A-8B80-5A562683ED75.jpg (54.5 KB, 49 views)
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 06:10 AM   #5
ProfessorLongArms

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
Can be capped or the pump itself is threaded . Cap can be purchased at Home Depot. With cap installed the tank can be filled manually . I also use the tank as a giant storage when launching and landing.
Yes tony. I’m aware of how drains work.

My point is that it is, in my opinion, bad design that you would have to reach into your tank to cap it while full, and also be present of mind enough while fishing on the ocean to notice that the sound of your pump has stopped. I’ve had mine die on me and it took me a few to realize it... that’s not even considering that sometimes you might have music playing or be dealing with something that requires concentration.
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote