Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2010, 07:16 PM   #1
Calico Killer Kevin
Junior

South OC 5/30 Bass Trifecta

Took care of business on Friday and was planning to fish MB on Saturday, but changed plans to do a bit of this.

Sunday had me heading out of the harbor this time in search of some bigger critters. Haven't taken the yaks out for probably like three or four months or so. I finally installed my transducer using the PVC water storage method. Works pretty well.

Didn't launch until nearly 9:00 and didn't get to the kelp beds until maybe 9:45. First cast got slammed. Lots of headshaking and then dead weight had me thinking hali with capers and white wine sauce.

Turned out to be a nice sandie. Two pounds give or take.

Third cast in the lanes got a subtle bite which turned out to be a small calico.

That's it for the two hours we spent out there. Ain't no Vince Red Drum day, but at least something. Better than most of the 6-8 yakkers I saw out there. Anybody from here? Once the water warms up a it, this place is going to go off. Metered lots of fish hanging out in the forest.

Headed back to the harbor because this land lubber got seasick. Wuss...

Fished a couple docks on the way in for a couple of spoties that were digging the Spottie Slayer. Couple nice ones too.

After getting stung 7 times while in Cabo, I guess it's safe to say that I officially HATE jellyfish.

Calico Killer Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:37 PM   #2
92yj

hey Kevin, i did not know that you were in to yaks......cool man looks like fun. we hit up Newport for the am shift. did well got a few shorts and some lizard fish.lol well it is good to see a familiar face on the site.
92yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:16 PM   #3
Calico Killer Kevin
Junior

Thanks man. As you probably noticed, I've been a member for a while, just haven't posted. I'll try to pay more attention to that now.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:32 PM   #4
fishinfreak

nice fish, sweet battail. i just picked one up and its a great little stick. noticed that your leash loop (connected to the leash plug on your tail) is rather long. on a big day where your board gets away from you, that loop can get pulled through the tail and leave a nasty rip in the tail. had it happen to me once when it was about double overhead, but i'm sure it could happen when the waves are waist high too. shorten that loop up so the rail-saver (velcro part of the leash that connects to the loop) is over the rail so it wont bust through.

fishinfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 06:18 PM   #5
bubblehide

Exclamation

Stung 7 times , geez dude, you should be immune by now[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Gary/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]!
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 07:33 PM   #6
TT5150
Slayer

Fishinfreak good call on the leash loop. CKK headin out to newport to do some surfing and Yak fishing in the harbor. Launching from the NAC at 9am big guy with white ocean kayak. Probably gonna surf HB jetty after.
TT5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 10:02 PM   #7
Calico Killer Kevin
Junior

Thanks for the tips guys. That loop is braided 45lb line lol. I'll shorten it ASAP. THat rail rip is nasty. Love how skatey these quads are especially for swallow tails.