Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2011, 07:39 PM   #1
MattRabasco

Scripps Canyon 12/26

This spot will be missed! Only 5 more days until you can't fish here any longer. What a day off La Jolla today. I have been a day late it seems for the yellowtail this winter but have enjoyed some beautiful days off La Jolla lately. Made squid early and did the yellow thing again. No luck, no surprise. Decided to go soak some squid over at Scripps Canyon and got into the Goats pretty thick. Pretty much every drop was a fish, big ones, medium ones and small ones. Never seen so many Goats at this spot. Got this 10 lb. Goat and lost another this big at the side of the boat. It is sad to think that I will never fish this spot again, truly a unique area. It was good while it lasted, and I am stoked to have been able to fish here! 77 feet of water, north east side of the canyon right by the first white lobster buoy. Go get one while you still can!

[IMG]http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu84/mrabasco/IMG_1157.jpg
[/IMG]
MattRabasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:58 PM   #2
blitzburgh

Nice Goat! Even sweeter pics! Thanks!
Old 12-26-2011, 09:17 PM   #3
fishinkid2010

Definitely a special place that will be missed!
Congrats on the goat! This year seems to have been good for them, I caught 5 of them today up to 5 lbs. Only problem was I had to run south of the Rockpile and to the North Island at the Coronado's to find them.
fishinkid2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:09 AM   #4
mtnbykr2

Bittersweet...great report, congrats on the "napoleon" good food right there for sure, thanks for sharin....
"Everything they took away will be missed"
Old 12-27-2011, 09:52 AM   #5
Mr. Adventure
Damn Hippy

Awesome! I am very new to the sport so I have no amazing memories of the places being taken away. I went to Laguna the place that inspired me to get rod and reel and was skunked again, but it was a glorious day.

Friday and Saturday I'll be out at La Jolla, hopefully I can hook onto some of these guys. Probably won't but I will enjoy my time out there nonetheless. Thanks for the report!
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:48 PM   #6
Aaron&Julie

Great goat. Nice backup to the lack of yellows.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:31 PM   #7
sharonkayak

I have been fishing that area alot. maybe 3 times in the past week!

Not many people go north. We saw you fishing that day.

We were getting hit hard. Once you drop a bait.

good size sheeps there.

The spot wil be missed!
sharonkayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:18 PM   #8
Billy V

You can still fish that area.

I give you special dispensation and freedom to roam.
Now go in peace my son.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:43 PM   #9
Drake

Hit the canyon today, 3 decent rock fish and a nice 10lb goat. Not as thickbut still fun.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:17 PM   #10
newguy01

i was there today to on PB got me a couple 10lbers goat and some rock fish and we continue on on kelp beds looking for hard bottom and found some more goat using squid and shrimp we had a blast for the last time
newguy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:08 PM   #11
SquidJig

I was surprised at all the talk about not fishing north of Scripps Pier after Jan. 1st so I looked it up. Here's the info from the DFG's website.

Boundary: This area is bounded by the mean high tide line and straight lines connecting the following points in the order listed:
32° 53.000' N. lat. 117° 15.166' W. long.;
32° 53.000' N. lat. 117° 16.400' W. long.;
32° 51.964' N. lat. 117° 16.400' W. long.; and
32° 51.964' N. lat. 117° 15.233' W. long.

Permitted/Prohibited Uses: Take of all living marine resources is prohibited except the recreational take of coastal pelagic species, except market squid, by hook-and-line only, and take pursuant to operation and maintenance of artificial structures inside the conservation area per any required federal, state and local permits, or as otherwise authorized by the department.
Licensees of the Regents of the University of California and all officers, employees, and students of such university may take, for scientific purposes, invertebrates, fish, or specimens of marine plant or algae under the conditions prescribed in a scientific collecting permit issued by the department.

Coastal pelagic species, as defined for purposes of MPA regulations, include the following: northern anchovy (Engraulis mordax), Pacific sardine (Sardinops sagax), Pacific mackerel (Scomber japonicus), jack mackerel (Trachurus symmetricus) and market squid (Loligo opalescens).

I was confused about the difference between Pelagic and Coastal Pelagic species. So, if I'm not misinterpreting the language, the bottom line is we can still make bait by and north of the pier, except for squid, but everything else is off limits. Bummer.

If I'm still getting this wrong, please correct me.
SquidJig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 05:46 PM   #12
lamb

Very nice!!!

Very sad that those places will be off limits, and we'll probably never be able to fish 'em again...