Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2011, 11:43 AM   #1
kurtfish

Surf Won Last Night Hubbs Contest Dates Set

So far this year fishing and the seas have been much more challenging at La Jolla. I launched at 2pm yesterday and made it through the larger surf without issue. I peddled through the 5-6 swells and wind chop out 2 miles or more offshore chasing birds that proved to be feeding on krill. I stand-up paddled my PA searching for Yellowtail schools with no luck till 6pm when I decided to head toward the kelp to fish for WSB. I did not see a fish in the next two hours. Although, I continue to work on behave of Hubbs to promote their Bill Poole Memorial Angling Tournement my good karma has yet to pay off with a WSB landing this year.

I lashed and stowed all my gear for re-entry and good thing I did as I rolled in the surf as the darkness made judging the swells a bit challenging. I righted my kayak quickly and all rods stayed in their holders. Good thing I had my life vest on as my waders filled and walking into shore holding my kayak was almost as good a workout as the stand-up paddling in the open ocean. Only one box of headlights came unclipped and somehow my squid jig grazed my head for a bit of bloody gash. Next time I will stow my squid jigs as well.

If anyone finds my plastic pelican box I would appreciate a PM with headlights and knife jigs inside. Hope to see many kaykers compete in the July 30 contest with all proceeds to benefit the Hubbs WSB Replinshment Program, "Turn-In Your Heads"

Be safe, Kurt
WON pat mcdonnel recap 2010 short version.pdf
fficeffice" />>>
> >

>>

>>

Click Here to >>

>>

Get an Official Tournament Program >>

(coming soon) >>

>>

ENTER TODAY >>
Great Tournament! Expanded format includes White Seabass, Halibut, Yellowtail, Albacore, Dorado, Bluefin Tuna and Yellowfin Tuna!

Great Prizes! Categories include: High Tournament angler, High Private Boat angler, High Sport Boat angler, High Kayak and High Spearfishing angler, High Junior angler and High Fishing Club.

Great Awards Banquet!At Hubbs-SeaWorld Research Institute's Mission Bay beautiful bayside headquarters!>>
Awards Banquet and BBQ Master of Ceremony: Pete Gray of Let's Talk Hook Up >>

2011 Honorees >>

Don Hansen ~Bill Poole Memorial Award >>

Jock Albright ~ Milt Shedd Memorial Award >>

TheBill Poole Memorial Angling Tournamentwas created to benefit Hubbs-SeaWorld Research Institute (HSWRI), a non-profit marine research Institute founded in 1963 to seek scientific solutions that protect and conserve marine animals while benefiting humans and their reliance on marine resources, including seafood. Since 1983 Hubbs aquaculture scientists have bred, raised, and released more than 1.8 million juvenile white seabass. Thanks in part to this extraordinary program, the white seabass, a popular recreational and commercial fishery, has staged a remarkable recovery. While many marine science programs deserve support, this one is virtually unique in that it actually returns fish to the sea. >>
HSWRI’s stock replenishment program is an important tool for sustainable fisheries management and truly embodies its mission, “to return to the sea some measure of the benefits derived from it. The values HSWRI embodies earned the respect of the sportfishing pioneer and icon Bill Poole. After Bill’s passing in 2009, his wife Ingrid Poole eagerly joined with HSWRI to establish the Bill Poole Memorial Angling Tournament in support of this program. To read more about this great man click here. >>
Now in its third year, this popular tournament will feature a wide range of trophy categories. Special prizes will be given for any white seabass captured alive and donated to HSWRI's brood stock program. All white seabass heads will be scanned for tags as part of HSWRI’s program to identify hatchery-reared fish from wild individuals. This will, once again, be a family-oriented, non-money tournament designed to encourage sportsmanship and ocean awareness. All proceeds go directly to HSWRI white seabass replenishment program.>>
>>
>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>
S c h e d u l e o f E v e n t s
>>
>>Angling Seminar and Captain's Meeting
Thursday, July 28
7:00 to 9:00 p.m.
Shedd Auditorium
HSWRI's Mission Bay Headquarters
The meeting will cover final rules, bait availability, and feature
expert advice from some of California's best anglers.

Fishing Tournament
Lines In: 6:00 p.m. Friday, July 29
Lines Out: 6:00 p.m. Saturday, July 30>>
Click here for Angling Rules
Click here for Official Score Sheet >>
Entry Fees: $50 per adult angler, $25 per junior angler under 16 years of age (entry fee includes admission to Awards BBQ on Sunday)>>
Awards Barbecue
Sunday, July 31
11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
HSWRI’s Mission Bay Headquarters

The Barbecue is open to everyone and will feature delicious cultured-fish tacos, prepared on site by local chefs from the Chefs de Cuisine Association, opportunity drawing and silent auction, tours of the Institute’s Mission Bay hatchery operations where we raise California yellowtail and halibut, rockfish, up-close encounters with some of SeaWorld's adorable animal ambassadors, and more!>>
BBQ tickets available for guests 12 and over at $25 in advance or $30 at the door.
Children 7 to 11 years of age,$10 in advance or $15 at the door.
Children 6 and under are free.
Please RSVP by June 25.

Click here to RSVP for BBQ Only >>
We are still in need of some wonderful sponsors. Please help make this our best event yet by becoming an event sponsor. Click here for sponsorship opportunities and sponsor formor call 619-226-3881 to find out how you can get involved. >>
Many thanks to our major sponsors >>
>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

and to our outstanding committee: >>
>>

Honorary Chair>>
Ingrid Poole>>
>>
Committee Chair>>
Carl Robbins>>
>>
Organizing Committee>>
Bob Fletcher>>
Kurt Hoffman>>
Don Kent>>
Rick Maxa>>
Matt Moyer>>
Carl Schmidt>>
Mike Shane>>
Karen Terra>>
Louie Zimm>>
>>
Culinary Committee>>
Michael Ames>>
David Chenelle>>
Jeff Roberto>>
>>
>>
Questions? Call 619-226-3881 or email kterra@hswri.org >>

>>

>>

About HSWRI: HSWRI is a leading non-profit marine research institute and the world's leader in white seabass stock replenishment. HSWRI scientists have been developing sustainable aquaculture and fisheries replenishment programs to restore wild fish populations and help meet seafood demand for nearly 30 years. Since 1983, HSWRI has released more than 1.8 million juvenile white seabass into California coastal waters. White seabass populations were at critically low levels when the HSWRI program began. Today, thanks in part to HSWRI’s efforts, the white seabass fishery has staged a remarkable recovery and is considered vibrant. >>

HSWRI scientists are now applying these same advanced marine science and cutting-edge technologies to culture other food fish in an effort to reduce pressure on ocean-dwelling stocks. The aquaculture techniques and models developed by HSWRI are being freely shared worldwide to help sustain other global fisheries and feed a hungry world. For more information visit www.hswri.org or become a fan on Facebook at www.facebook.com/hswri . >>

> >

> >
---->>
Karen Terra>>
Director of Development>>
Hubbs-SeaWorld Research Institute>>
2595 Ingraham Street>>
San Diego, CA 92109>>
P: 619-226-3881>>
M: 619-987-1599>>
>>
Donate Now>>
Visit our Website: www.hswri.org>>
Become a Facebook fan: www.facebook.com/hswri>>
Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/hswri>>
> >

The information transmitted (including attachments) is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. 2510-2521, is intended only for the person(s) or entity/entities to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient(s) is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer

Last edited by kurtfish; 04-28-2011 at 01:26 PM.
kurtfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:41 PM   #2
Jimmyz123

Good to see you made it back in alright, I may have to enter this event, at least for nothing else but to help the cause.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:55 AM   #3
kurtfish

SUP Surfed at the launch yesterday

I went back to the scene of the crime yesterday afternoon and tried to SUP surf the close interval waves around the launch along with the wave rider kayakers and the tourists taking their turns with the wave catch roll manuever I perfected the night before. Today the surf looks even more consistant and the wind is already blowing quite a bit this am.

I did find my gaff thrown in the concrete triangle. If that was you Josh, Thanks. It was nice to see that my tennis ball stayed inplace on the gaff as well. My pelican box was not to be found and I dropped one of my other boxes this am as I was putting things away and the plastic latch busted so now I really need to head to OEX for a couple new boxes.

For those of you considering a launch today the wind and cloud cover would keep my PA in the garage and when you add in the swell you would really need to be an addict to head-out today. But then again I realize that everyone's schedule may not be a flexible as mine.

The forecasts for next week do look enticing, Kurtfish

Last edited by kurtfish; 04-29-2011 at 09:32 AM.
kurtfish is offline   Reply With Quote