Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2010, 09:39 AM   #1
kurtfish

Much to be Thankful for in 2010

I appreciate the supportive PMs I have received regarding my MLPA Donation Roll Call and R P coupon MLPA fight donation pledged. I also appreciate the cash donations made by Billy V and the owner of the squid seiner Barbara H, $1,000 to the legal fund. I know many of you have already made financial contributions to the legal fight against the one-sided MLPA process but may feel it is not appropriate to share those dollar figures. My take on this issue is that anything we can do to motivate others is worthwhile in this battle that is pitting us against them with the them recruiting innocent and uninformed students to fight their battle against us. Commercial and sport fishermen need to be united on this fight as the current fishing regulations have allowed us to co-exist quite comfortably especially if you have the buoy slalom skills that Wade has.

We all have much to be thankful for after this bountiful year of fishing in our local waters. I took my daughter out on my Pro Angler Christmas Eve morning in the dark and only pulled up egg sacks on one Lizard Fish. My daughter took a nap and actually fell asleep on the back of my PA. The squid finally seem to have completed their six months of incredible 2010 spawn and headed back to the depths. With a personal tally of 20 WSB and 19 Yellowtail so far in 2010 I have much to be thankful for on and off the water.

One of my favorite memories of 2010 was Billy Vs awesome effort to rally the troops to attend the San Diego City Council meeting where Billy's testimony prevented the SD Council from signing a blanket endorsement of the largest MPA closures proposals. A MLPA endorsement letter drafted by Friends of the Ocean or some such enviro group had places for each council member to sign. If this letter had been signed by our city council as it was by Laguna Beach's Mayor and City Council we very well could have lost more of La Jolla. Billy refuted the threatened species agreements with DFG data and Marti Emerald would not let Donna Surfrider Frye take over the SD Council meeting. Billy V, Paul L and Bob Fletcher are my heroes. If not for the dedicated efforts of folks like these and many more we would have been railroaded even more. We can't let these tremendous efforts now go for not. It is now our time to step to the plate and donate cash for the legal fight to support the efforts of our comrades that continue on the good fight spearheaded by our fearless leaders.

Another equally thrilling highlight of 2010 occurred when my son and I caught the below pictured Yellowtail while fishing together on my Hobie Pro Angler. With a 600 lb. load capacity we should be able to fish together for a few more years.
YTLucKayak10.JPG

Happy New Year, Kurtfish
kurtfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:23 PM   #2
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
The squid finally seem to have completed their six months of incredible 2010 spawn and headed back to the depths.
Nobody told my Sumo that yesterday.

Not a memorable year of fishing for me in the least, but still plenty to be grateful for!

Every trip out with your kids is a winner as long as you get em to smile one way or the other.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:34 PM   #3
DESTROYER

Very Cool Picture! I can't wait to get my boy on his first YT.

I'm Thankful for:
  1. Having an awesome Wife!
  2. Having Maddox my son who makes me laugh daily.
  3. Having a Beautiful Healthy Baby Girl (Mila Anthonette Moyer)
  4. Having an Awesome Job!
  5. Buying a new House.
  6. Fishing with Friends.
  7. Catching 2 personal best in 2010. 40# 2 oz. YT and a 58# 7 oz. WSB.
  8. and last but not least, Having people like Lebo and Billy V. fighting for our rights as fisherman's.
I hope all you BWE's have a great New Year and a better 2011.

Cheers Moyer.
DESTROYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 01:56 PM   #4
Jimmyz123

I'm thankful for a wonderful family and friends and I've very thankful for the great network of friends I have developed from BWE. You all helped me get through the recovery of my arm surgery, and stay focused on getting back out on the water. You guys ROCK!

Thanks to everyone who has spent more hours than I can imagine on fighting the MLPA. We are all grateful for your efforts and will support you however we can.

Be safe out there and watch out for those whales.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:10 PM   #5
bellcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtfish View Post

With a personal tally of 20 WSB and 19 Yellowtail so far in 2010 I have much to be thankful for

and how many Halibut?
Old 12-28-2010, 06:26 PM   #6
T Bone

Kurt I only caught 10% of your WSB tally but I feel blessed to have done so.

This year was all about my son and his Cancer battle.He is doing well and God is Awesome -Amen.

I found out what Amen actually means this year,It means "Let it be" and I am completely at peace with the entire situation.Thanks for everyone who has helped us get through this journey so far.

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:07 PM   #7
Billy V

There is a long list of people who deserve recognition for fighting hard to preserve our sport.

That also includes our children ; Lucas, Clay, Noah etc.
Who on every occasion possible stood up and spoke for themselves, constantly making more sense than any member of the blue ribbon task force.

Practically everyone on BWE in some form or another contributed to the fight, not everyone, but the large majority.

I'm proud to have done my part where I could, and possibly have made a difference for La Jolla. I have to admit - it was satisfying to watch coastkeeper get beat down.

The Spearos - The Waterman Alliance - Baytubers. These guys have unwavering determination.

Most Importantly
Paul Lebowitz - Tommy Gomes and Co. - Bob Fletcher - Who all took lead rolls throughout the SoCal process.
Because without these guys sacrificing a huge amount of their time and money serving as RSG Members - it would be game over.
----------------------------------------
Lets all continue to monitor the outcome in 2011, Its far from over.

In the meantime have a Good New Year and lets all enjoy the patch of ocean we fought for.

Good Fish Karma on You.
Billy V