Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2010, 10:38 AM   #1
kurtfish

MPAs Work

I saw a young guy in the LJY gym with one of those obnoxious blue t-shirts on yesterday and I could not think of a thing to say to him to try to put him in his place. If you are familiar with my numerous and sometimes obnoxious posts on this site you know I am not shy and don't use a heavy filter with my public sharing.

MPAs do work as we can attest to in La Jolla with our great fishing just outside this historic MPA. I don't agree that we need 9 square miles to have an effective MPA. The La Jolla Marine Reserve is less than half that size and it has proven to be very effective in preserving this unique habitat. Sheepshead, lobster, abalone and many other non-migratory species certainly can benefit from marine preserves as small as one square mile. As we know pelagic species can benefit much more by macro regulations such as the gill-net restrictions and size limits that have helped bring back our WSB populations to record levels this year, Thank you Hubbs as well.

We need to continue the legal battle started so successfully by Bob Fletcher. The procedural misconduct and closed door meetings excluded our impute and put fisherman's' interests at the bottom of the list. The EIR was a joke as well with no economic impact to sport or commercial fishing included in the very superficial analysis. The MLPA process was flawed and that is what we need to focus on. Arguing about the effectiveness of MPAs is a waste of time because we are on the losing end of that argument. We need to make serious financial donations to the legal battle that Untied Anglers has been gearing-up for over a year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ua8T3qlbuvg&feature=player_embedded is the key part of the Dec. 15th MLPA meeting in Santa Barbara. The public disclosure requirements and closed door meetings are the basis of a legal fight that we should be able to continue with a favorable outcome in court.

Please see my most recent Legal Donation Roll Call post on the General Discussions Forum for donation links to U A and related organizations that are fighting for our rights . http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=8942

As a Thank You for making just a $30 or more donation Rapala has donated Wii Pro Bass Angler games that can help teach our kids about the joys of fishing.
https://salsa.wiredforchange.com/o/6394/t/7322/shop/custom.jsp?donate_page_KEY=4653&track=rapala_game_giveaway_california

Thank you for your consideration, Kurtfish
kurtfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:31 AM   #2
dorado50

Thanks for the report....going to try to catch myself a "victory".
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:45 AM   #3
old_rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtfish View Post

As a Thank You for making just a $30 or more donation Rapala has donated Wii Pro Bass Angler games that can help teach our kids about the joys of fishing.
https://salsa.wiredforchange.com/o/6394/t/7322/shop/custom.jsp?donate_page_KEY=4653&track=rapala_game_giveaway_california

Thank you for your consideration, Kurtfish

This is good. I will take this route and donate the game to some charity - expose to more kids this way.

Did you ever say anything to the guy in the blue shirt?
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:55 AM   #4
kurtfish

MPAs Work

I really was at a loss to say anything to the t-shirt guy that looked like he may have been a UCSD student with earphones on. I supposed I should have said, cute shirt, I saw a bunch of little school kids wearing similar shirts at the SD MLPA meeting talking about South Pacific Coral Reefs with a very cure diarama.

We all need to buck-up, Merry Christmas Kurtfish
Old 12-22-2010, 12:24 PM   #5
wade

you should have asked to spot him..
then proceed to drop 250# on his neck.....
wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:37 PM   #6
Billy V

Thanks Kurt - We need to keep up the fight.

Thank you for Your Donation!
Thank you for donating to KeepAmericaFishing™! Your contribution helps us to protect your right to sustainably fish on our nations’ waterways and keep our nation's public waters open, clean, and abundant with fish now and for generations to come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

We all want to slap that stupid look off their face and rightfully so, but they aren't worth my time and don't have the balls to fight it out hand to hand - they're all talk and half a sissy anyway.

I'm going to continue to catch their fish and starve their Sea Lions. Continue to offend them with my presence and rude behavior - and pray - just pray - that one of them has a momentary lapse of reason and is stupid enough to physically confront me. :lol:

Last edited by Billy V; 12-22-2010 at 12:49 PM.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:25 PM   #7
Aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade View Post
you should have asked to spot him..
then proceed to drop 250# on his neck.....
hahahahaha...thank you. This thread can be closed now as there is no better response.
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 06:59 AM   #8
kurtfish

This is no joke, $1,000 RP coupon auction to fund MLPA fight

Although I do apprecaite Wade's suggestion and sense of humor this is not a laughing matter. I am concerned by the apathy the recent MLPA posts have garnered on these forums. If we sit back and accept the faulty MLPA process we are walking down a dark road with no way to trun around. After they get their network of MPAs don't you think they will want the entire coast to be one big MPA? Water contact with sunscreen and surfwax contaminating the water is a big problem for the sea critters as well. Surfrider Foundation does not realize who they are in-bed.

We need to take a stand now and not wait until we are actually kicked-out of our local waters. I posted in the sell / trade forum a $1,000 discount coupon for the Royal Polaris 10-day or more trip and I will pledge the funds from the winning bid for this disocount coupon to the MLPA legal battle.

We know our current regulations are working and our fish stocks are healthy. We can't let the wackos that use Global Warming Science techniques to justify the closure of our local waters. We have enjoyed a banner year fishing in our inshore waters. If we want to continue to be able to share these bounties with our kids and grandkids we need to fight now.

Merry Christmas from Kurtfish, Luc, Ryn & Lisa
Old 12-23-2010, 07:56 AM   #9
Aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtfish View Post
Although I do apprecaite Wade's suggestion and sense of humor this is not a laughing matter. I am concerned by the apathy the recent MLPA posts have garnered on these forums. If we sit back and accept the faulty MLPA process we are walking down a dark road with no way to trun around. After they get their network of MPAs don't you think they will want the entire coast to be one big MPA? Water contact with sunscreen and surfwax contaminating the water is a big problem for the sea critters as well. Surfrider Foundation does not realize who they are in-bed.

We need to take a stand now and not wait until we are actually kicked-out of our local waters. I posted in the sell / trade forum a $1,000 discount coupon for the Royal Polaris 10-day or more trip and I will pledge the funds from the winning bid for this disocount coupon to the MLPA legal battle.

We know our current regulations are working and our fish stocks are healthy. We can't let the wackos that use Global Warming Science techniques to justify the closure of our local waters. We have enjoyed a banner year fishing in our inshore waters. If we want to continue to be able to share these bounties with our kids and grandkids we need to fight now.

Merry Christmas from Kurtfish, Luc, Ryn & Lisa
Though I still think that Wade's comment was perfect...I get the point Kurt and just sent more money that I don't have to KAF. I do think they should keep their video game. I'd rather them save the money spent on shipping costs. I can think of at least one better way to share the joy of fishing with the kids...get them away from the video games and take them fishing!

Don't get discouraged Kurt. This is how politics goes. It is not a matter of right or wrong, it's a matter of who kills the most apathy and gets the largest turnout. And it takes these types of unrewarding efforts to do just that, so thanks. And thanks for donating your coupon to the cause. That's good stuff and is much appreciated! Merry Christmas from my family to yours.
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote