Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2013, 10:28 AM   #1
Smthtnnr
Fishing Addict

How do you Newport Guys do it?

I have been trying to figure out rock fishing at Newport, but I just can't find the fish! I have taken 4 trips there so far that have resulted in maybe 5 dinks, 1 pig sand bass (25 inches), 2 barely legal sandies and a couple of short sandies. I know how to rockfish, I regularly limit when I drive down to LJ, but I just can't find the fish at Newport! Anyone have any tips? I have been fishing from 120-200 and have put in at least 25 hours of fishing time unsuccessfully. Thanks for any help!
Smthtnnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:05 AM   #2
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smthtnnr View Post
I have been trying to figure out rock fishing at Newport, but I just can't find the fish! I have taken 4 trips there so far that have resulted in maybe 5 dinks, 1 pig sand bass (25 inches), 2 barely legal sandies and a couple of short sandies. I know how to rockfish, I regularly limit when I drive down to LJ, but I just can't find the fish at Newport! Anyone have any tips? I have been fishing from 120-200 and have put in at least 25 hours of fishing time unsuccessfully. Thanks for any help!

I've had some luck finding rockfish in the area but the areas that I did find were pretty small. I recall the first time that I was there it took me well over an hour of scouting just to find a decent spot and I also recall the area being extremely small but literally every drop was a hook-up. There were a few dinks here and there, most if not all of the big ones were between 12-15 inches.

What kind of transducer do you have? According to one of the techs from Lowrance if you're running with a 80/200 you will lose some detail after 100', they recommend that for anything deeper than that you want to go with a 50/200. Maybe that's the difference, maybe not. Its possible that if you have the 80/200 transducer you're paddling right over some rock piles and not even noticing it on your FF.

Keep at it, I'm sure you'll find a spot. I heard through the grapevine that there are some really nice spots just outside of Newport, this info came from a reputable source. The spot is so top secret that he wouldn't give me the number

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:18 PM   #3
blitzburgh

Jorluivil gave some good info. You are probably closer than you realize. One of the things I like to do is once I find some fish in a certain depth, I will work that "band" of depth up & down in searh of other schools. I could be completely wrong (and I often am ) but it seems like whenever I find some at a certain depth, I always find more at that depth. That does not mean I never find additional fish at other depths, I just have success working it that way. Another thing I have found at Newport - the fish seem to move way more often than other spots. You can be on a spot, drift it once and they've moved right after. Most of the time close by but they've moved, especially the big Reds. Keep at it man, you'll get em.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:26 PM   #4
jruiz
Large Member

Lots of lizards and dabs out there now wasting bait.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:09 PM   #5
Smthtnnr
Fishing Addict

Thanks guys. I am running an 80/200 (Elite 5) but it hasn't hurt me too much from what I've noticed. I guess I just have to keep plugging away. I appreciate the tips!
Old 12-09-2013, 05:16 PM   #6
StinkyMatt

Best way to rockfish Newport is to go somewhere else.

Try outside of point Fermin, long beach.

P.M. Tony(FulRack). He will give you some exact numbers.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:38 PM   #7
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Hey I've had alot of success in the 185‘ area. Turn your sensitivity way up on your lawrence and zoom in on the bottom. If you have split screen option between map I usually set some waypoints when I hit a school and another when it tappers of so I have multiple points of reference to rake back and forth between. The rockpiles could be just a small shelf or indent in shoal. Instead of sweeping back and forth searching I've done well doing concentric circles spreading out bigger and bigger till I get on a pile. Hope this helps

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:15 PM   #8
socal_matt
Cruisin'

Just like what William said. I've also had a lot of success there too. When I first started fishing that rockfish spot about 2 years ago they always seemed to be in the same spot, but now I have to admit I've had some trouble, they seem to be moving around a bit more. Either that or else I end up stumbling across a new spot almost every time I go out there. Some advice, do not try anything shallower than 170 ft, cuz that will be sanddab and lizardfish galore, mainly lizardfish. Overall, its just about getting lucky out there. First time I tried that area was the first weekend of March a couple of years ago and I happened to stumble upon a school at around 200 ft and found a red snapper. Fished it hard for a little while, ended up with a handful of reds and starries. Then the next thing to do when you get lucky is to save the spot you were in, because they will likely be there the next time. I don't have a gps so I have been using landmarks with depth, its suited me pretty well.

Thats just my two cents.

Also, I might be going out there in the next week or so since I haven't been on a kayak in the past 2 months because of the broken bones and a screwed up knee. I need to feed the kayak fishing addiction, its been too long.

Otherwise, good luck out there.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:39 PM   #9
FishRaiden
CEO-TacticalFishingCrew.

Ill show you around if you plan to go back out there on Thursday
#DropLuresNotBait
FishRaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:23 AM   #10
Deamon

Here's how I find my spots:
Find a place that sells FRESH dead squid and buy a couple of pounds or I just ask Greg Andrew for one of his bags. You might try this too, he's very generous. Be sure to tell him you're using it for rockfishing.
Launch on the busiest days of the week...Saturday.
Launch later in the morning (no need to rush) like 9am
Before launching, I throw on my sheepskin (car seat cover or floor rugs work well)
Head out towards rockfish areas (over 100' of water)
Steer towards multi yakkers and/or lobster pots and if you could find a mix of both, double bonus..
Begin calling out "baa, baaa, baaaa" like you're missing your favorite child. That call will throw the yakkers off and force them to drop their guard. Be sure sheepskin is set properly on body.
Act like you're watching the meter but completely disregard it for now.
i'll always have one eye on each fisherman looking for quality orange fish being caught
Be careful, some of these guys haul in fish trying to hide them from others, can you believe it?
If you see a nice fish brought up, turn yak towards them and paddle right by, close enough to see the whites of their eyes
As you go by the successful angler, by all means do not drop a line AND do not comment on their fish. Just act like you didnt see it.
Throw out a great smile, a warm good morning and comment on what a wonderful day it is.
When that sum bitch is not looking, quickly punch in your way point save or man overboard.
Do not drop a line. Repeat this fly-by process on the next yakker up the line and on and on.
After a dozen or so of these 'fly-by's head in and get the yard work done to make wifee happy.
Go out next week and work the shit out of your new numbers.
BAM! You are now a glorified/qualified successful rock fisherman!
Thank me later. I accept gifts, cash and new, unused quality fishing gear.
Jim
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Last edited by Deamon; 12-10-2013 at 05:02 AM.
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:37 AM   #11
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Lightbulb Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post
Find a place that sells FRESH dead squid and buy a couple of pounds or I just ask Greg Andrew for one of his bags. You might try this too, he's very generous.
Launch later in the morning(no need to rush) like 9am
Before launching, I throw on my sheepskin (car seat cover or floor rugs work well)
Steer towards multi yakkers and/or lobster pots and if you could find a mix of both, double bonus..
i'll always have one eye on each fisherman looking for quality orange fish being caught
Be careful, some of these guys haul in fish trying to hide them from others, can you believe it?
If you see a nice fish brought up, turn yak towards them and paddle right by, close enough to see the whites of their eyes
As you go by the successful angler, by all means do not drop a line AND do not comment on their fish. Just act like you didnt see it.
Throw out a great smile, a warm good morning and comment on what a wonderful day it is.
When that sum bitch is not looking, quickly punch in your way point save or man overboard.
BAM...do not drop a line. Repeat this fly-by process in the next yakker up the line.
After a dozen or so of these 'fly-by's) head in and get the yard work done to make wifee happy.
Jim
SON OF A B!TCH...

thats a good idea but pay attenton to the PB'er too

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:10 AM   #12
crazyfishnfool
zuni818

Quote:
Find a place that sells FRESH dead squid and buy a couple of pounds or I just ask Greg Andrew for one of his bags. You might try this too, he's very generous. Be sure to tell him you're using it for rockfishing.
Begin calling out "baa, baaa, baaaa" like you're missing your favorite child. That call will throw the yakkers off and force them to drop their guard. Be sure sheepskin is set properly on body.
Do not drop a line. Repeat this fly-by process on the next yakker up the line and on and on.
After a dozen or so of these 'fly-by's head in and get the yard work done to make wifee happy.
Jim

crazyfishnfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:24 PM   #13
StinkyMatt

You guys think he is kidding?

He once held onto the bottom of my kayak for 4 hours, with just a snorkel.

This man will do anything.

If all else fails, pm Tony(FulRack) for some numbers.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:59 PM   #14
Smthtnnr
Fishing Addict

I pmd Tony, you guys rock! Deamon, pure genius
Old 12-10-2013, 10:40 PM   #15
easyday

Nice advice jim. Gotta love it
Old 04-18-2014, 11:36 AM   #16
MrM

Hit reply on accident. whoops.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:44 AM   #17
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

Deamon

Has my vote for best post of the year so far!!!!
Bert Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:11 PM   #18
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

Quote:
Jim
Pure Genius!!
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:40 PM   #19
CheapPelican

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrM View Post
Hit reply on accident. whoops.
Is somebody collecting intel. on rockfishing NP?
Old 04-20-2014, 01:32 PM   #20
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post
You guys think he is kidding?

He once held onto the bottom of my kayak for 4 hours, with just a snorkel.

This man will do anything.

If all else fails, pm Tony(FulRack) for some numbers.

True "Marine" recon.
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote