Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2013, 08:18 AM   #1
Smthtnnr
Fishing Addict

Halibut Hunting

I think I'm going to target halibut for the first time on the yak this weekend. I have landed a couple of legals, but only accidentally on plastics while targeting bass in the harbor. I know there are some amazing halibut fishermen on this forum, and I was wondering if anyone could help me out a little. You guys use a triple swivel rig with a heavy weight? Sliding sinker rig? I think I'm gonna launch out of Huntington Harbor and just pounding sand. Would going out of Newport or Dana Point be better? Or should I make the drive to Mission bay? Thanks for any help!
Smthtnnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:13 AM   #2
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smthtnnr View Post
I think I'm going to target halibut for the first time on the yak this weekend. I have landed a couple of legals, but only accidentally on plastics while targeting bass in the harbor. I know there are some amazing halibut fishermen on this forum, and I was wondering if anyone could help me out a little. You guys use a triple swivel rig with a heavy weight? Sliding sinker rig? I think I'm gonna launch out of Huntington Harbor and just pounding sand. Would going out of Newport or Dana Point be better? Or should I make the drive to Mission bay? Thanks for any help!
If you fish the bigger live baits (sardines) make sure you are using a trap hook. Before I started using them, I had way too many raked baits.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:19 AM   #3
YakDout
Brandon

I have had more luck with Carolina rigs than anything else. I suggest tying palomar knot to your hook. Leave long tag end to then make another knot to your trap hook (treble) . Hook size depends on bait size and weight depends on current and wind. Good luck
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:54 AM   #4
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
I like to fish the Z-Mans Streakz XL this time of the year. I fish the baby bass and pearl colors, two to six feet off the bottom. I try to make them WIGGLE, with rod action or with a flasher. Sometimes I split the tails. Fish 80-120 foot depths. Buena Suerte!!!

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:01 AM   #5
MrPatrick

Modified drop shot. Use a wide gap worm hook and your choice of plastics. Works for all types of fish.
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:27 AM   #6
todd one

I use a three way swivel witha 4 oz weight and a live dine in SD Bay. Ido pretty well. But I think the heavy hitters on this forum fish Newport and Dana.Hopefully they respond and help you out. Good luck out there
todd one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:31 AM   #7
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Fish a sabiki, that seems to work
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:47 AM   #8
jorluivil

I use one of these

Spectra with albright knot or swivel to a drop shot to a 8oz sinker

Spectra to three way swivel with an 8oz sinker

ALWAYS, use the biggest baits possible. If you don't believe the 'The bigger the bait the bigger the fish' theory its because you haven't tried it, try baits in the 8" - 10" range. Also, one of the things that I do differently is that I use larger hooks than most of the guys that I fish with.

My setup usually consist of a size 2 circle hook with an equal size treble hook(trap hook, stinger, or whatever you want to call it).....yeah yeah yeah, I know it sounds like over kill but my theory goes something like: big bait, big hooks, big fish. I know Roby's recent catch goes against my theory but how often does someone catch a hali on a sabiki hook?

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:51 PM   #9
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
I use one of these

Spectra with albright knot or swivel to a drop shot to a 8oz sinker

Spectra to three way swivel with an 8oz sinker

ALWAYS, use the biggest baits possible. If you don't believe the 'The bigger the bait the bigger the fish' theory its because you haven't tried it, try baits in the 8" - 10" range. Also, one of the things that I do differently is that I use larger hooks than most of the guys that I fish with.

My setup usually consist of a size 2 circle hook with an equal size treble hook(trap hook, stinger, or whatever you want to call it).....yeah yeah yeah, I know it sounds like over kill but my theory goes something like: big bait, big hooks, big fish. I know Roby's recent catch goes against my theory but how often does someone catch a hali on a sabiki hook?
i don't care what you say Jorge, I will fish a sabiki from now on

Roby probed your wrong! lol

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:15 PM   #10
bosshoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd one View Post
I use a three way swivel witha 4 oz weight and a live dine in SD Bay. Ido pretty well. But I think the heavy hitters on this forum fish Newport and Dana.Hopefully they respond and help you out. Good luck out there
Where you been hiding Todd ?
bosshoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:24 PM   #11
jorluivil

I just checked the hook size on my treble hook and It's a size 1

Basically, it can be used as a trap hook or kayak anchor.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:19 PM   #12
Vikingj

Lots of good hali hunting advice above. A hungry 'but is not too choosy. I have used triple swivel, sliding sinker, and drop shot all with successful results. I don't think any is overly superior to the next. I now take one rod w/triple swivel tackle and another w/ sliding sinker and trade off (gave up on the drop shot rig). I get more snags/hang-ups with the sliding sinker, few snags w/ the triple swivel, and almost none w/ the drop shot. Unless I'm using anchovies I always use a trap hook (usually treble hook). Bigger bait is best. I think its important to keep your bait near the bottom and move slowly w/ light-moderate drag on reel. I don't delibrately set the hook and I reel in slowly. Usually use a 3oz weight under 35', 4oz/35-60', 5-6oz/60'+. Weights will vary w/ wind/current/speed of drift. Good luck!
Vikingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:22 PM   #13
Smthtnnr
Fishing Addict

Thanks so much everyone for the help. I will pound some sand this weekend and be sure to post a report. You guys rock
Old 11-14-2013, 05:05 AM   #14
Jimmyz123

Catching Halibut

If you want to catch halibut, and the big ones, get this book and follow what Paul does. He's a good friend of mine and I promise you if you follow his tips, you will catch bigger and more halibut. I've fished with him and seen him in action, his catches are proof, and I have not seen anyone in San Diego catch more or bigger halis than he does.

http://www.amazon.com/Catch-BIG-Hali...ywords=Halibut

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:56 AM   #15
GregAndrew

Unless you fish from a boat, I would not bother spending the money on that book. His main techniques are based around boat fishing long stretches of open beach, and at speeds most kayakers would only consider bounce-balling. Not that his techniques are not good for him, but they do not translate well into kayaking. There are lots of good ways to fish for Halibut, but they all depend on what you like. Some guys do very well with bait, and others do just as well with plastics. Drift fishing bait requires the most patience. Swimbaits would be the other end of the spectrum. Some like long leaders (the guy in the book), and some like no leaders (dropshot). Those and everything in between I have seen work effectively when fished under the right styles. Big baits don't necessarily mean big fish, but they generally mean not having to mess with shorts and bycatch which will keep your bait in the zone more of your time.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:06 AM   #16
Smthtnnr
Fishing Addict

Sounds good thanks for the advice Greg. Think I'm gonna give bait a try this weekend and spend a good amount of time on the water, normally that's how I learn.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:15 AM   #17
jorluivil

I'm ready

Old 11-14-2013, 08:23 AM   #18
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

some good tips there

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:55 AM   #19
todd one

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosshoss View Post
I've been out there pounding it. I've only been catching barely legal ones. I got my 30lb leader broken off out in the deep water a couple weeks ago, by what I think would have put me in the 40lb club. I let my line pile up on one side, my reel started binding, and she was gone. I got more footage for my bloopers video.
todd one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:07 AM   #20
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosshoss View Post
Nothing colder than yesterday's hot dog...