Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2011, 12:57 PM   #1
DESTROYER

9TH ANNUAL SMMT REPORT-MATT MOYER

Thank you to everyone who supported the tournament this year. We had a decent turn out. Everyone really stepped up and there were many of you who were very generous. I especially would like to thank all the sponsors for their support because without them this tournament could never get off the ground. I would also thank my family and friends for all the hard work they put in on the day of the tournament.
The tournament stage was set and the kayakers launched into the darkness to fill up on bait at Nate's 24 foot Rock Harbor. We slowly signed people in as the tide rose and the beach became emptier and emptier. As the last kayaker left the beach you could see over 100 kayakers fishing for a great cause on the horizon.

We left the beach and headed for some much needed coffee and then onward to Kate Sessions Parkl to get the raffle items and food ready. Around 8:30 as we were just starting to get organized, we see a truck with a kayak on top parking. I said " Wow, A FISH ALREADY". Up walks Thomas Steinhauer "TCS" as most of you on the site know him with a nice grade YT. He had a big smile on his face and I could barely believe that it was before 8:30 and we were weighing our first fish. Thomas's fish weighed in at 19.11# and was good enough for him to take the Dash 4 Cash Money $465.

About 15 minutes later, we see 2 cars racing up to the park. Two anglers that saw a glimpse of the Dash 4 Cash Money, Eric Edberg (2010 Dash 4 Cash Winner) and Sharon Lemay both come trucking up with 2 nice YT. Even though they were late, they had a chance for the mugs and cash because Eric weighed a 23.94# YT and Sharon weighed a 21.82# YT.

The day went on and the sun burned off the overcast weather and the day warmed up and more fish began coming in. Every YT weighed that day was nice grade and the only other species of fish was a 5.77 Halibut weighed by Michael Mikitka a long time supported of this event.

It was now just past 1:00 with the 1:30 deadline approaching. Just like every tournament I fished or been a part of rumors started of bigger fish coming in. Shortly after anglers were filling their bellies with Carnitas, Buñuelos, and lace w:st="on">Cocolace>'s Pies, Jasmin Grabic comes strolling in with a bag with 2 YT in it. To the local LJ anglers, Jasmin is known as the "King of La Jolla" for his notable catches and sheep like BAAAAAAA when he lands a nice fish. Jasmin slowly pulls out the smaller tail and I yell "C'mon! Pull out the bigger one!". Jasmin pulls the bigger YT out and and it was in at 25.81# putting him in the lead. BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA comes out of his mouth and for a second I thought he was having a seizure.

All together there are 10 big fish weighed, 9 YT and 1 Halibut. John McVey almost inched into 2nd with his 23.69# YT and Charles Wittenberg barely got past Sharon Lemay with a 21.93# YT. All in All it was a great event. Jim and I will soon post the amount we raised. To "Mooch" and Ingrid, Keep fighting!

On the Calico side of things we only had 10 anglers sign up. As I mentioned at the tournament I have turn much of my fishing into my passion of catching bass. Eric Bent and James the owners and organizers of the SWBA, Saltwater Bass Anglers were kind enough to sponsor the Division for $200 plus a killer custom wrapped Phenix Rod done by James. Along with that prize the person who weighed the 3 biggest combine weight got a $150 gift certificate sponsored by Ballast Point Brewing Company. Many thanks to those who participated in this division.

Pulling out on top was Bugz Baits Owner Kerry Peeler with a nice 3 fish sack over 9lbs. Ed Keil “Smoke” took the Big Fish honors scoring a $170 and a Bugz Baits Package.

For Kerry Peeler: Can you please post the scores since you took the letter board with all the weights? I would greatly appreciate it.

I would really like to thank once again all of you who helped and supported the cause and the fight against cancer. Tight Lines!

Matt Moyer

ENJOY!
Attached Images

DESTROYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:04 PM   #2
DESTROYER

Name:  SMMT15.jpg
Views: 848
Size:  43.5 KB

Name:  SMMT14.jpg
Views: 848
Size:  68.2 KB

Name:  SMMT13.jpg
Views: 821
Size:  64.5 KB
Old 09-13-2011, 01:14 PM   #3
DESTROYER

Name:  SMMT2.JPG
Views: 1289
Size:  140.7 KB

Name:  SMMT8.JPG
Views: 836
Size:  195.5 KB

Name:  SMMT10.JPG
Views: 843
Size:  189.5 KB

Name:  SMMT.JPG
Views: 845
Size:  152.6 KB

Name:  SMMT5.JPG
Views: 831
Size:  116.1 KB
Name:  SMMT2.JPG
Views: 1289
Size:  140.7 KB

Name:  SMMT8.JPG
Views: 836
Size:  195.5 KB

Name:  SMMT10.JPG
Views: 843
Size:  189.5 KB

Name:  SMMT.JPG
Views: 845
Size:  152.6 KB

Name:  SMMT5.JPG
Views: 831
Size:  116.1 KB

Name:  SMMT6.JPG
Views: 829
Size:  123.9 KB

Name:  SMMT1.JPG
Views: 834
Size:  146.9 KB
Old 09-13-2011, 01:36 PM   #4
lamb

Nice write up Matt
Old 09-13-2011, 01:41 PM   #5
blitzburgh

Thats awesome
Old 09-13-2011, 05:12 PM   #6
bellcon

Love it
can't wait until next years SMMT 2013
Old 09-13-2011, 07:48 PM   #7
"jjcawjj"

Great job Matt!!!!! Looked like a lot of good times!!!!!! Wish I could have made it there!!!!Great Post!!!!!!
"jjcawjj" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 03:20 PM   #8
sharonkayak

I think best photo has to go to andy and his beach landing shot!!!

good times.
sharonkayak is offline   Reply With Quote