Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2006, 05:32 PM   #1
scwafish

Something different from Norcal

I thought I'd throw up a post since its so dead everywhere. Up here April 1st is a major event. Salmon opens in most places, and abalone opens north of the gate as well.

Since I had too much work and too many family obligations to head down for salmon so I stayed local and decided to see if anyone wanted to grab a few snails. I called my buddy Pescadore and he was in. Traffic on the coast was light. I generally avoid the opener, but there weren't any crowds.

I hadn't had a chance to dive off a Marauder yet, so I took out the blue demo boat. We got to the water and the launch was a breeze but we could see it starting to pump up on the outside. Big ten foot rollers sent us looking for calmer water.

Loading up...

Since it was too big where we had hoped to dive, so we snuggled in to an area that is always protected. The viz was good outside, but murky from the creek were we dove. Viz was OK, but not amazing...around 6 feet and a little less on the bottom. We anchored up and dove in 15 feet of water. Abs were kinda slim in this area, but we were out of options. It was loaded with Uni.

We both brought guns too, but no fish to be seen. I was totally amazed with the amount of dive crap you can fit in the center hatch. This is a great dive yak...

Dave got a nice limit despite the lame spot. Pescadore is a super nice guy, and he has been at this junk for a long time.

His dog Yoshi made sure nobody jacked our gear.

When I got home I finally got to break in the new snail cleaning facilities. What a treat to not be hunched in the driveway! Thanks Mom!!! Had a nice snail dinner...YUM.

scwafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 05:37 PM   #2
potto

How do you clean the dog?
potto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 06:21 PM   #3
scwafish

For house pets I use baby shampoo...for tacos its pretty much the same method as a rabbit or squirrel. :shock:
Old 04-02-2006, 07:17 PM   #4
katchfish
Paddle for Mahi

Scwafish, enjoyed the report!

Those ab's look tasty.

Ken
katchfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 08:14 PM   #5
scwafish

They are indeed a real treat. We eat a lot of them, my kids go nuts for it.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:34 PM   #6
bigderel
UberMember

Oh, man, those abs have me remebering the last time I was able to enjoy them...years ago before the SoCal ban on them. I haven't used my tenderizer on abalone in WAY too long! Great report, thanks!
bigderel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 10:57 PM   #7
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Nice....have an uncle in Ukiah, and another in Philo/Greenwood, do my ab diving up there N of Van Damme.
Must be alot easier than the hikes we normally go on.
Nice post, you guys don't like the urchins?
Thanks

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 05:23 AM   #8
scwafish

Small world. My in-laws live on Philo/Greenwood road on top of the ridge. No need for hikes or cliffs with a yak. I am not an UNi person, but I know a lot of people who eat it.

Its a bummer you guys can't go for abs. I look at all of the YT pics and feel the same way...please swim up here big fishy!!
Old 04-03-2006, 08:51 AM   #9
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Very small world...sure the inlaws know Dr. Apfel, or Chef Gene.
You guys are lucky up there, abs, urchin...yum.
Will have to hook up with ya next time up there.

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote