Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2006, 09:30 PM   #1
Iceman
Administrator

4/11 LJ PM Bird chasin' bycatch

Great bird piles out around the NW corner between 4:30 and 6:30. What I saw looked like 15 pound YT. I launched around 3:30. Saw Dennis, Todd and Tyler and Patrick getting ready on the beach. Once past the can I trolled a swimbait on one side and my sabiki on the other. After awhile I picked up a pair of 10-11 inch macs. Put one on top and one with a 2 oz slider. Kept making my way out. Around the 1/2 I started seeing nice pilage out further. I was just inside the corner, heading toward the birds out NW, when my low bait chirped and the rod tip took a few bounces. Waited in freespool for the fish to run and put it in gear. First fish I have caught with a 3/0 circle, so I told myself to let it hook itself. A couple minutes in and my flyline goes off, 3/0 livebait hook. I did not even put it in gear, just let it run and it stopped, so I thought it had popped off. As I got the fish to color a big brown blur apeared right on my fish's tail. I grabbed the gaff and stuck it in the water and swirled it around, I think this was another tip from Pat. Anyway it seemed to spook the sealion and I quickly gaffed my fish. Went to reel in the other line and it started to load up and as I pulled I felt kelp popping and there was still a fish on. It must have wore itself out fighting the kelp because it came right up. I pulled the hook with my dikes and it was bellyup, but kicked until it righted and swam down. I spent the next hour chasing the birds, only getting one decent cast off. No YT this time. Long paddle in, landed after dark. Todd was the only one still out there. Good seeing the PM crew. Tomorrow morning I am taking my wife out there.

Old 04-11-2006, 09:35 PM   #2
rippin lips

Send a message via AIM to rippin lips
Damn Andy, nice they are really in force huh? im heading out tomorrow.
rippin lips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 09:40 PM   #3
steveooo

Nice report Andy, Soooooooooo Jealous. May take a sick day friday if the weather cooperates
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 09:49 PM   #4
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Nice fish Andy.
There were also some good sized boils on Sundays WSB spot. The boils were earlier, 4:30 or so. Only 3 birds diving and 5-6 boils with lots of bait popping for about 20 minutes, then nothing. I got outside in time to find the birds had stopped working and Andy was coming in with his catch.
tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 02:55 AM   #5
Dennis

Hope that beach shot was to your liking, Andy. I really couldn't see the image until the camera flashed. So, your wife still wants to go? You must be tired, you were a paddlin' machine yesterday.
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 03:52 AM   #6
Iceman
Administrator

Dennis, thanks, the beach shot was fine, like I said, I just wanted to make sure I had a back up for the WCW. Tyler took some on the water shots just before sunset. Thanks again. 5 hours of sleep and I am going again. Hope to get my wife a fish today or a double hookup. We'll be in the tandem, boat limits!

I figured the fish was 30-35 pounds, the 2nd was just slightly bigger.

30 pounds 15 oz

Old 04-12-2006, 06:44 AM   #7
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Nice!!! This is unbelievable, been going religiously every weekend of '06, and several State holidays por nada, and this explosion happens when I don't have a ride. I finally can get out tonight! Hope to see some of you guys out there, and see some fish!

Chris
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 06:48 AM   #8
madscientist

Awesome Andy! Glad you got one out of this mayhem. See you guys tonight.
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 07:10 AM   #9
aguachico

Good going Andy. Love to fish the PM.
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 08:02 AM   #10
potto

Smart move. Bring your wife so you can double the plunder.

Nice job. Glad you caught one. I feel so bad for missing all the action.
potto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 08:17 AM   #11
vellocity

congrats Andy!
looking forward to your "tandem" morning report!
vellocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 08:23 AM   #12
Arne

WOW! I'm sitting here in NoCal wishin' I was staring at a big beauty like you are Andy. Great PM report ... hope to read the double ghost report later on. Don't think I've been this jealous since ... well ... never.

Arne
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 08:45 AM   #13
dmr

Nice Andy. I hope it will repeat for you in the tandem and for anyone else out Wednesday morning. Just save one for me, even a smaller one, Wednesday evening.
dmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 09:10 AM   #14
Aaron&Julie

Congratulations, Andy. Way to get in on the good action.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:35 AM   #15
Dan

Awesome double Andy......my friend Les took his 70 year old mom out there this morning, and there were some fish caught this morning as well......Also, several reports of a very large toothy critter cruising the surface
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 09:47 AM   #16
lamb

It is just overwhelmingly cool, that's all I can say. WTG Andy!

I can hardly move my ripped middle finger, but I don’t think I’ll be able to stay here till the EOB…
Old 04-12-2006, 10:04 AM   #17
Iceman
Administrator

Beautiful morning, lots of familiar faces, only heard of one fish boated and did hear the big shark was definately around. Perfect kind of morning to take my wife, small surf and light winds. Cris saved the day with a couple greenbacks. We could not make one piece. Nothing came of the baits and we were back on the beach around 10 AM
Old 04-12-2006, 10:17 AM   #18
Grego

HOT, way to go Andy, can't believe how many are coming out of there, if the weather holds until friday I'm going to go for another one.
Grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 12:22 PM   #19
aguachico

Quote:
did hear the big shark was definately around.
Neil and I went to the pier yesterday around 4am. I little south of the pier, a small dorsal - but a big signature sunk out as wwe approached it. No worries on my part, sharks prefer "white meat" chicken :twisted:

AC
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 12:26 PM   #20
Pat

Nice job Andy. A lot of doubles lately.

Hey Arne, sorry to hear your in Tahoe.

If there was anyone that could pull a sea bass out of Tahoe, it would be you... :lol:
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote