Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2009, 10:25 AM   #1
fishchaser25

Dana Point

Hit Dana point today for a Nice Halibut. Fish was 31" long. Sorry didn’t get to weigh it.
>>
So here's the story.>>
I launched at the boat launch and headed to the bait receiver. Picked up a scoop and headed outside for halibut. got to the spot and started drifting. With in 10 min I was slammed. I grabbed the rod and set the hook but there was nothing there. so I rebated and continued to drift. Soon I’m hit again and this time I stick the fish. Its pulling hard and i knew right away that it was a nice halibut. So I got the gaff ready and when the fish came to color i wasted no time in & gaffed it. After I secured ion the game clip and cut the gills to bleed it I repositioned myself and started a new drift.
well soon after I get myself positioned I feel my yak rock and here this loud thud sound. when I turned around I was a pup sea lion had jumped onto the stern of my yak and was trying to get some sleep :shock: then I noticed that my rear hatch is underwater and I’m starting to sink :shock: I begin to start yelling at the sea lion but it doesn't move. now I’m getting nervous because the whole back of my yak is underwater so I start hitting the sea lion with my paddle and it finally jumps off. Now I have to think fast so I can stop myself from sinking. I quickly dumped my bait tank and put the bait pump inside my yak so I can start pumping out the water. After about 45 min of pumping I’m stable enough to paddle in and finish the clean up. I paddled to the bait receiver and unload my yak and finish the clean up. Now I’m ready to go back out. I asked if I could get the other half scoop that I payed for earlier and the guy said its a 10$ minimum. WTF I told him that I already played and he said that rules are rules. I told him that is it a rule to sell 1/2 scoops for full price and not give the person the other half when he wants it. I was so mad that I just called it a day and left. freakin retard.
O well at least it was a good day on the water. 1 halibut and I didn’t sink

Old 04-04-2009, 10:30 AM   #2
467echo
Rookie of the Month Club

too funny! next time get that camera out for a pic of the pup!
Old 04-04-2009, 11:02 AM   #3
fishchaser25

Ya when should I have taken a pic of it. before or after it sinks me???
Old 04-04-2009, 11:17 AM   #4
Dan

Cool report. Nice halibut. The juvie pups have big nards this time of year. I had one whack me twice from below the other day. So freaking freaky in the dark.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:22 PM   #5
fishchaser25

Ya about 7 years ago I had 1 jump on my lap while I was in a float tube. scared the $hit out of me. the thing just curled up into a ball and fell asleep. I didn't know what to do so I just left it there. I didn't want to spook it and have it turn around and bite the $hit out of me.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:28 PM   #6
Vikingj

Nice Fish! Glad you made it back OK. If you were at the point or further north that would have been a long (submarine?) ride back with no place to land. When I left the DP baitbarge on Fri I had 2 egrets land on my bow and one on my stern- fortunately they were not as heavy as a sealion! With the wind forecast I decided to fish the rivermouth and C&R'ed 5-6 short flatties and a leopard. I guess I need to get out to the point or salt creek to find the keepers.
PS-Try not to blame the baitbarge guys, they don't make the rules and they are actually very generous to kayak'ers with their scoop. In the 3 yrs I have fished Dana Pt. they have never been able to do a half scoop, but they will give you as much as your tank will hold at one time.
Vikingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:37 PM   #7
frugalfisher

Nice Halibutt!

Very interesting experience, except for the sinking part. Good thinking pumping out.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:07 AM   #8
dadandsonkayak

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishchaser25 View Post
Ya about 7 years ago I had 1 jump on my lap while I was in a float tube. scared the $hit out of me. the thing just curled up into a ball and fell asleep. I didn't know what to do so I just left it there. I didn't want to spook it and have it turn around and bite the $hit out of me.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:55 AM   #9
fishchaser25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingj View Post
Nice Fish! Glad you made it back OK. If you were at the point or further north that would have been a long (submarine?) ride back with no place to land. When I left the DP baitbarge on Fri I had 2 egrets land on my bow and one on my stern- fortunately they were not as heavy as a sealion! With the wind forecast I decided to fish the rivermouth and C&R'ed 5-6 short flatties and a leopard. I guess I need to get out to the point or salt creek to find the keepers.
PS-Try not to blame the baitbarge guys, they don't make the rules and they are actually very generous to kayak'ers with their scoop. In the 3 yrs I have fished Dana Pt. they have never been able to do a half scoop, but they will give you as much as your tank will hold at one time.
Ya I think I was just still mad that a stupid sea lion ended my day. Didn't mean to take it out on the bait guys. I guess I’m just used to fishing in ffice:smarttags" />lace w:st="on">Newportlace> where they will top you off 2 or 3 more times if you need it. O well live and learn. Next time I will load up my Shimano Bristol bay tank and not worry about it. My 500 gallon an hour pump can handle a pretty large scoop. Like 30-40 deens depending on sizefficeffice" />>>
Old 04-05-2009, 04:06 PM   #10
forefrazier

Nice job on the Hali....... Definitely would have been cool to see pics of that pup up on the 'yak. I was out today as well and would like to add to the report......

Went around to the point @ 6:30.. Got the to the kelp and sent some fresh dead down a pothole section with on the brain. I have fishing A.D.D. so didn't last long in there soaking squid. Made my way outside a bit to pick up something that moves. Made about half dozen nice greenbacks and sent them down reverse dropper style. After an hour or so, finally get picked up......

Looked close so slapped him on the tape and he is just 22". I don't own a subscription to "Barely Legal" so quick photo then let him go so he could grow!

Had some decent size 'cuda chasing my swimbait and raked it up good...just didn't commit. Seems like the fish sense spring is here so hopefully as the water warms....it will pick up a bit more.
forefrazier is offline   Reply With Quote