Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 08-04-2005, 10:48 AM   #1
madscientist

LJ 8/04 AM/PM

First thresher today. Little guy, about 3ft body and 2ft tail, maybe 30-40lb.

And for Adi,
Launched 5:30 into ankle slappers. Somehow managed to find a wave and get soaked (not easy because there was NO surf). Met Nelz at the pier and started catching candy macs. Moving around when I notice the sabiki rod bent in half. Tug but comes free. Reeling in I saw a shark cahsing it, but couldn't ID. Later, dropped my halibut rigg and it immediately starts singing. Felt like a but since it didn't run and I was vertical with dead weight pretty quick. At color I realize its a litte tail hooked thresher. Todd came over and got some pics (Todd, thanks again, feel free to post or email to me: bmessmer@ucsd.edu). I was gonna release when he broke free anyway.

Nelz reported the right kind so I booked over to the kelp. Had one serious run-off by the kelp that didn't stick. Saw some yellows but couldn't get to them in time. My frustration continues. May do a quick sunset run tonight, looking for a break.

Bait is all over. Water back to red.
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 11:15 AM   #2
vellocity

same story....

finally got one to bite the jig just before i was ready to throw in the towel and leave.. he looked about 6#, nah maybe smaller.... let him go to grow bigger...way bigger... he hit the jig HARD, then followed with mini head shakes and i knew he was a little model..

lots and lots of small YT's around, hope the cattle boats are not loading up on them cause that would be SAD :cry: all you'd get is Hamachi skin no meat..

saw a right kind boil right next to me, followed by a something skirting along the surface towards the ski.. a crushed greenie dazed and confused swam right up to the side of the ski for safety and refuge... i reached down and grabed him with my hand!! he was TKO'd!! that was so wierd, you just never know what you'll see on the water..
vellocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 11:32 AM   #3
lamb

Thanks Brad! 8)

Couldn't make it today, had something to take care of at work in the AMs. Sounds lively out there.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:36 AM   #4
vellocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamb
Thanks Brad! 8)

Couldn't make it today, had something to take care of at work in the AMs. Sounds lively out there.
was your 2nd capt for the LambCrew out this morning? thought that was your boat, but with your buddy and a friend
vellocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 11:54 AM   #5
silverbullet
Crusty Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silverbullet
I'm going to try to get out this PM. Hopefully the wind doesn't whip up. The last two trips at LJ have been pretty rough.

BB King was cool last night from the 'yak though...!

Bobby
silverbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 01:05 PM   #6
lamb

Nelz, yes he was.
Old 08-05-2005, 07:26 AM   #7
madscientist

Returned for more abuse at 5:00PM. Got out dry to the buoy and started looking for bait. Couple bones on ther trolled sabiki, kept for strips. Found some spanish and as I was working them I see smelt breaking in a radial pattern. Start heading over and see bigger splashes. Throw the swimbait and it is picked up immediately. Strong run straight into the kelp and that was that. Saw another big boil in the area, then it quieted. Went around the corner to find Mike and Ken having roughly the same luck. Heading back in we saw several large fish that were probably sharks, though on one occassiona I saw something finning that was not the man in the blue suit, might have been tail. Nice evening with friends but we all lamented the lack of consistent fish. Couldn't get up this morning so either an evening run or just rest up for an early morning tomorrow.

Todd sent me the pics of the thresher action. Thanks again Todd, you are my lucky charm and favorite photo beyatch (well, maybe after Ken) .

madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote