Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2008, 01:22 PM   #21
h2ofishfo

i dont know dud i was out there in my boardshort sat. it was perfect weather i was actually hot really fishy out there sat. nice feesh
h2ofishfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 04:41 PM   #22
madscientist

I hate people on the water. Makes it harder to find these...

Old 04-13-2008, 07:52 PM   #23
dorado50

especially the ones that don't respect others, what are those.......
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 07:55 PM   #24
steveooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
Makes it harder to find these...

What kind of fish is that? Is it good to eat
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 08:35 PM   #25
LITTLE_NEMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
I hate people on the water. Makes it harder to find these...

this might be a stupid question but WTF is that
LITTLE_NEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 08:57 PM   #26
stevo

Excellent catch. It sure is nice to see and hear a fresh report for a change...
stevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:34 PM   #27
wavster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE_NEMO View Post
They're otoliths. Can be elusive. I've heard that the local natives used
to use them as a monetary exchange.

I got a few recently...
wavster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 10:59 PM   #28
lamb

You can all try hard,

but sorry - there's ways to go to reach Brad's internet ignorant smart ass level...

Stevo, you either need to STFU or give us a report for once.
Old 04-13-2008, 11:14 PM   #29
TomTurtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavster View Post
They're otoliths. Can be elusive. I've heard that the local natives used
to use them as a monetary exchange.

I got a few recently...
These are a sensory organ located in the head of fish like wsb. Some anglers collect them as trophies. Removing these does not affect the tag if you are turning in the WSB head to the hatchery for research.
TomTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 06:34 AM   #30
madscientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE_NEMO View Post
Calcified snot.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:13 PM   #31
Afran
fishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTurtle View Post

(sorry to the La Jolla regulars because I probably just blew up LJ for the week, but I like to see people get on the water)
Great fish!

Who cares what people think. Locals only? That's a bunch of BS. There will always be people on the water regardless. No need to apologize. for anything or to anyone.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:36 PM   #32
TomTurtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afran View Post
Great fish!

Who cares what people think. Locals only? That's a bunch of BS. There will always be people on the water regardless. No need to apologize. for anything or to anyone.
The apology was sarcasm. Hard to pick up when its typed...

A few weeks ago my friend caught a yellow on the surface iron and some guy told him not to post it up to prevent a crowd. I thought that was ridiculous.
TomTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 06:45 AM   #33
madscientist

Quote:
A few weeks ago my friend caught a yellow on the surface iron and some guy told him not to post it up to prevent a crowd. I thought that was ridiculous.
Obviously you've never seen LJ go from pleasantly populated one day to massive clusterfuck the next after one report. It happens. It's not so much the yaks as the boaters/out of town spearos that are the problem. Many of them watch this site for LJ info. Of course, posting on BD hits a much larger audience, the worst of which are LA area speardivers that will start zipping across our lines on jetski's and zodiacs right at the kelp edge.

I posted for many years so I don't begrudge anyone their moment of internet glory. But times have changed and since the effect is obvious and growing (and will get worse if they close the south kelp, pushing more boaters to our spots), a little discretion can be priceless.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:52 AM   #34
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Quote:
Removing these does not affect the tag if you are turning in the WSB head to the hatchery for research.
If you turn in your WSB head to Hubbs, they will send you the otoliths... I just got some, they sent them in less than a week, and I didnt have to go digging around. (fish head was still in my freezer from last year )

chris
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 07:56 AM   #35
Sherm

Well this will give away my age......however when I was a kid working the boats we used to get the stones (otoliths) from the WSB and make necklaces out of them. Wish I still had one.
Sherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 10:01 AM   #36
screaming reel
Banned

Send a message via AIM to screaming reel
My vote is to disband the WCW. How many people does this contest draw in? In this day and age of potential closures, and declining fish stocks world wide, it is somewhat sick that there is a year long contest that awards a person a prize for the most fish killed! What is the purpose of this contest? How about a catch and release WCW! Love to see some of these big fish released. I kill fish too, that is the idea, for food, right. I just don't see how this contest can be justified! Who in the world needs that much fresh fish. My god even a flippin Great White does'nt eat that much fish!!!!!!! If you guys think that an average post of a fish here and there draws in the crowds, I encourage you to look in the mirror and see WHAT IMPACT THE WCW has on crowds at LJ! If you live in a glass house, don't throw stones.

For the record, Last year, I caught 4 WSB and released 1. It was bitchen watching a 40 lb swim back down. I encourage more restraint and conservation when it comes to the resource! Maybe if we start restraining ourselves from killing everything in the ocean, the ocean and the fishes will be around for a loooooooooong time, and the Feds won't give fishermen a bad rap.

How about a contest where the PRIZE is won by the most fish meaasured and photographed that swim back down. Now that contest is worthy of some respect!

Think about it....
screaming reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 11:54 AM   #37
jscott

Quote:
Originally Posted by screaming reel View Post
How about a contest where the PRIZE is won by the most fish meaasured and photographed that swim back down. Now that contest is worthy of some respect!

Think about it....
I agree with the mentality on this point. But we aren't talking about 3-5# bass here.

Think about logistics. How are you to get an accurate measurement of a big YT, Halibut, or WSB without gaffing. To get an accurate measurement, you would have to pull on board (without the use of a gaff)....hold it down while it is flailing around (potentially hurting someone....measure and then photograph the flailing beast and then finally release it to swim away healthily? All this done on a kayak, nonetheless.

Who are you kidding?
The only way to do a release program on these 3 fish would be to give points for the release-- disregard size (as long as it was a legal fish). The fish can be kept in the water...photoed...and released.

Even so-- how long before knothead realizes that he just has to wait for a fisherman to tire out the fish-- release it, and then he has a GREAT meal!

My 2 cents...
jscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 12:19 PM   #38
dorado50

Scream.reel, A little shortsighted but also some validity in your statements! The little amount of fish I catch feeds myself and 25 others. Also I will kill a legal fish most of the time, why not, the commercials boats will as will the cattle boats. Lets start with them before we go after the recreational fisherman. And I would never release a 40# WSB ever..........
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 12:40 PM   #39
screaming reel
Banned

Send a message via AIM to screaming reel
I did not know that there are commercial boats and sportboats fishing the WSB off of La Jolla; must be at night! I am sure they are killing it! Dorado, why would you never release a WSB? Just curious.

Points for a release! I like it. What a concept! No measurement just a photo.

If you really think that Sportfishermen taking 600 - 800 pounds a year of WSB and Halibut and Yellowtail does not affect a fishery you are living on Mars. You are right we are all competing for this resource. Change/conservation starts with the individual. I am not saying we are worse or better or whatever. But to think that continued pressure on these breeding fish by fishermen of any type, will not hurt the resource is ignorant at best.
screaming reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 01:12 PM   #40
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by screaming reel View Post
I did not know that there are commercial boats and sportboats fishing the WSB off of La Jolla; must be at night! I am sure they are killing it! Dorado, why would you never release a WSB? Just curious.

Points for a release! I like it. What a concept! No measurement just a photo.

If you really think that Sportfishermen taking 600 - 800 pounds a year of WSB and Halibut and Yellowtail does not affect a fishery you are living on Mars. You are right we are all competing for this resource. Change/conservation starts with the individual. I am not saying we are worse or better or whatever. But to think that continued pressure on these breeding fish by fishermen of any type, will not hurt the resource is ignorant at best.
Dude... You have more WSB blood on your hands than 90% of the WCW field. And for the guys that have more than 4 WSB this year, I'm sure they've released a few WSB as well. Even then, they're on the water (I'm sure) more than you so it makes sense they're going to have more WSB then you. The cool thing about WCW is that you are only allowed 2 submissions a month. That enables you to release fish caught that aren't upgrades to earlier catches. And like I've said, I've seen that happen. And with WSB only biting for (what I know of) a couple months a year, the impact WCW has on the species is very minimal.

[So] How many people does this contest draw? Well to answer your question.... 56. 56 anlgers in all of Southern California. Most of which have only a few submitted fish to their name. Need I say more. Set your soap box up at the landings.
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote