Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2006, 11:35 PM   #1
fubar

LJ 5 28 evening shift

Spent an hour on the beach waiting for the rental fleet to clear up. Must have been fifty or more yaks cluttering the surf zone. Watched some great tandem wipe outs and got a good laugh. After giving it a lot of thought my bro and I figured wtf, might as well fish and get wet. It would at least be good practice to launch and land in some shittly conditions.

We decided to bring only what we could fit inside the yaks, which was a couple of calico sticks and some extra fish traps. The water was actually very warm so trunking it wasnt soo bad. We made it through the surf no problem and then fought through some lumpy wet conditions to the point.

We wanted to target calicos so we set up off the condos, but inside a ways. It seemed like we were in about fifty feet of water over some submerged kelp stringers. Started throwing the fish traps. First cast gets hammered. Set the hook, two big head shakes, one looooong run, and the fish came off. Thing felt like a calico until the line was ripping off fast and out to sea. Oh well. Fished the same area for several bonita, three nice calicos, and one fat log barracuda. All fish were taken on five inch swimbaits.

My bro drifts through the same zone and goes bendo bigtime. This fish was the white kind. It took him into the kelp though and busted him off. Unfortunately we were only fishing twenty pound seeing as how we were just going to catch some calicos for dinner.

At this point it was around six o clock. There was only one other yakker out there. The wind backed off a bit and it really turned out to be not soo badd out there. We kept making drifts off the condos picking calicos, bonita, and cuda. We did have a spot of yellowtail breeze through. Got one bite and a follow. Just when things get quiet my bro goes bendo again. This time he lands it.

25lbs Not a beast like you guys have been getting, but his first off the yak. It was great to see how stoked he was to get such a nice fish. He diddnt know what to do at first. He was in shock at what was lying the water next to his yak. I gladly paddled over and stuck that thing for him. Tied it up, threw it in his lap, and sent him on his way.Fish ate a five inch pregnant smelt fished on twenty pound. We staked it out and are bbqn it tomorrow on the beach with the family.

We paddled in at seven and landed with no problem at all. It was a wet day out, but it was warm, so no problem.

Warm water, bass, bones, cudas, tails around, and seabass hitting the deck. You guys that get out regularly are some lucky mofos.
fubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 02:46 AM   #2
hooked
on phonics

fantastic!

On my way out now, I will trade some water for a WSB of that variety.

Congrats.
hooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 04:57 AM   #3
Dan

looks like you guys are both lucky mofos! nice one!
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 08:44 AM   #4
T-Rex

Congrats on the nice fish! Looks like you guys made the right call fishing close in. The water was pretty warm...I was reading 66-67 deg on my fish finder.
T-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 01:07 PM   #5
Ryan The Sealion

wow nice fish! bet ur glad you decided to brave the waves
Ryan The Sealion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 05:15 PM   #6
rippin lips

Send a message via AIM to rippin lips
nice feesh, been kiking to get back out there but these damn gas prices are killing me....congrats, I can't believe they're still biting.
Old 05-29-2006, 06:06 PM   #7
Dennis

NICE! Congrats to you and your bro.
-D
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 08:11 PM   #8
Aaron&Julie

Way to brave out that surf, and you guys got rewarded for it. Congrats!
Old 05-29-2006, 09:20 PM   #9
fubar

As planned we bbd the wsb today for the family. The belly was excellent and everyone enjoyed the steaks. We cooked some on the gas grill, but the real crowd favorite came off the mesquit coals sprinkle with hickory chips for that smokey flavor. mmmm good stuff. Gotta get fishin again soon.

gonna get back to watching the discovery channel. Marathon session of Deadliest Catch. Those dudes are fugging nuts!!
fubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 09:51 PM   #10
Afran
fishy

SWEET!
Afran is offline   Reply With Quote