Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2006, 12:31 PM   #1
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

LJ 5/27

launched around 6am in insane surf. Made it out past the bouy and decided to make bait. A week ago I went to squidco and took some advice from the guy behind the counter regarding a sabiki. He set me up with the right size hooks but only 12 lb line. So today, as I drop the sabiki with my bl/wh 6x jr on the bottom, something grabs it right at the surface and takes off. Within seconds the line busted and my 6x and fish were gone. No biggie because I have plenty of plastics and more irons. Wind was knarly out of the SW, pushed me far north. So I decided to jig an Iron of the bottom as I drifted, hooked up into a sandab. Here's one for the ironman....

So I make my way back inside to escape the wind and swell (4-5'). As I do, I decide to troll the megabait. As I get close to the point, I stop to tie on a swimbait on the other rod, then WHAM.....ZZZZZZZ on the dead stick with the mega bait. Fish is pulling line and circling the boat like crazy. Never caught a WSB or Yellow before, so I think I have a small yellowtail on. I see color and shape and now I'm confused. Never caught a bonita before either so the guy near me told me that's what it was. It was 3lbs 4 oz on the digi......

Had him hooked on the underside so he fought pretty good. Probably why I thought it was a small yellow... Wind picked up and I decided to make my way in. The rest is for the birds....
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 01:30 PM   #2
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

nice job getting out today. I woke up and heard the wind howling at 3:30am and decided it wasn't worth it. I will be out sometime this weekend or else.
tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 01:49 PM   #3
Dennis

Thanks for the report. That's a big bonie!
-D
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 01:59 PM   #4
Dan

Re: LJ 5/27

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbrinkman
Never caught a Yellow before, so I think I have a small yellowtail on
take that bonito and multiply it by 10!

thanks for the report...Dan
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 02:50 PM   #5
T-Rex

nmbrinkman,

Thanks for the report. I woke up to wind, rain and already knew the surf was big so I flaked out. Did you keep the bonito? If you did, they're pretty good smoked :!:

TL
Rex
T-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 03:01 PM   #6
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

no i didn't keep it. I looks bigger than 3 pounds though, I don't think my scale was calibrated correctly when I turned it on. the adrenaline from the fight had my fumbling. Next time Ill try and smoke one, thanks for the tip...
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 07:47 PM   #7
Fishin Phil

bonito's

if you do decide to keep them you need to bleed them first (rip out gills)
then if you are smart you will cook the fillets before you freeze them. I fry mine in a fry pan and then freeze. Otherwise the meat will get stronger as it sits in the freezer over time. My way it doesn't happen and it also makes a good substitute for tuna sandwiches. 8)
Fishin Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 08:17 PM   #8
Ryan The Sealion

u got bigger nuts than me to go out in this swell/wind...I attempted taking my tandem out near the powerplant this week with my buddy on the front...big mistake :lol: 5'+ waves made it about a 3 minute run and a retreat for the bay :x nice bonie!
Ryan The Sealion is offline   Reply With Quote