Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2006, 01:18 PM   #1
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

LJ 5/20 AM

launched around 5:10, made quick work of a mix of greens and spanish. put one hi had a rapala next to it. On the hi, I hooked into a 2 lb calico and then one slightly smaller and hour later. Then saw a guy catch an 8 lb calico, no bs, we weighed it on my digi. After he had me take a few pics, he released it. I on the other hand kept mine. Beautiful day out there minus a little breeze and some small swell. Heard of a YT but I didn't see. I ran into a school of greenis that were large, about 1/1.5 lbs each, and they were eating anything I threw (irons and plastics). I thought it was weird :roll: anyway, hope you pm guys knock em dead.

ps. anybody have a good recipe for calico fillets?
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 02:22 PM   #2
Dean Machine

fish seasoning

You really can't go wrong by grilling with "Cajuns Choice" blackened or creole seasoning found in most grocery stores. I like the blackened. Alot of people OVERseason their fish. A little bit of this is good on most any type of fish and it doesn't kill the flavor. Just my 2 cents. Easy and good.
Old 05-20-2006, 02:32 PM   #3
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

thanks for the recipe. Something else that I thought was weird was that when I checked out the stomach contents, I found a kelp leaf that was the size of a dollar bill. I was rolled and folded to fit the small stomach, but how crazy. :? Jimijigs needs to make an iron that looks like a kelp leaf now I guess my bass was the sushi eating variety. :lol:
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 03:24 PM   #4
FISHIONADO

I launched at 6:00am, there was already a good size crowd catching bait just past the buoys so I paddled on towards the NW corner thinking I would catch bait on the way. Lost my sabiki to some dead kelp so I pulled out some gulp 6" mackerel that I've been carrying around since the FH show. Put a 2oz slider on it and slow trolled it near the bottom and picked up 3 lings out in front of the hotel in 80'. The first was short, the second was 25" and released because I was looking for WSB, the third was 30" and I decided to eat him. Fished a little longer with the gulp and picked up a WSB that might have been barely legal or not, when I was trying to measure it the fish flopped just right and released itself. Headed back to the beach with an 8lb 6oz ling for dinner.

This guy was carrying around an old hook.
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 06:45 PM   #5
ski

Nice linger. I think you might of had the hot stick out there this morning!
I started out over the canyon chasing the birds. Heard the call over the radio from Jim H and Pat that the "bite" was on at their location. By the time Brad and I got there, the forkers were gone. I guess everyone else lost their fish right before we got there I probably would have been there sooner, but I paddle a cobra tandem (for stability purposes) and the 2 mile paddle had me a little winded :twisted: Anyway, I fished from 6:30 till 3 for a few small bottom fish, 2 whitefish and a 3 lb. calico.
ski is offline   Reply With Quote