Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 04-05-2020, 06:04 PM   #1
Newguyhere
Junior

Battery ideas

Where and how do you mount your batteries. I have an 18ah battery I just got that's like twice the size and I need some ideas of where and how to mount it on a pro angler 14.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200405_185025.jpg (41.3 KB, 128 views)
Newguyhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 08:15 PM   #2
grey zone

I have the 7 amp/hr. size battery and use a plastic storage container with a lid that snaps down on all sides making it moisture tight. Drilled a small hole in one side, put a grommet then ran the wires through, this keeps my battery dry.
grey zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 06:27 AM   #3
TJones

tried one of those

and then switched to an earth x lithium battery. super expensive, but they are half the weight, water proof in larger sizes, and come with a 2 year factory warranty because they last a long time. I think I am going on 4 or 5 years now? it has a built in battery protector, so when it discharges too low it will shutdown from further use and protect itself. I currently run a lowrance hds 7" and generally get a full day on water. I just pulled up some information and realized that the new lowrance 7' carbon has a draw rate of 1.5 amps compared to the hds gen 3 which has a 1.3 amp draw rate. I just learned something new. to protect the battery I use an ocean kayak battery bag mounted to the center sailing mast inside hull just behind front hatch. I use Hobie bait tank battery connectors for all my electrical connections. they are bulletproof. are you running any other kind of electrical devices off your battery? such as running lights, or bait tank? if so, it is recommended to power them up on a separate battery. this will isolate a failure to just one piece of equipment, as opposed to ruining your whole day. I have also used another brand of lipo battery and have very good success with them too. I use those for my vitals vault bait tank mounted on my ocean kayak. Bioenno battery is the manufacture. they make large battery's that can power up head units. they have a full line of battery sizes and I really like the 10 amp 6 vlt for running a bait tank. their price point is pretty reasonable in my opinion. I prefer the earth x battery for my fish finder because of the solid brass connectors on top which are corrosion resistant and water proof. hope this information helps.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 12:06 PM   #4
Udine219
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
and then switched to an earth x lithium battery. super expensive, but they are half the weight, water proof in larger sizes, and come with a 2 year factory warranty because they last a long time. I think I am going on 4 or 5 years now? it has a built in battery protector, so when it discharges too low it will shutdown from further use and protect itself. I currently run a lowrance hds 7" and generally get a full day on water. I just pulled up some information and realized that the new lowrance 7' carbon has a draw rate of 1.5 amps compared to the hds gen 3 which has a 1.3 amp draw rate. I just learned something new. to protect the battery I use an ocean kayak battery bag mounted to the center sailing mast inside hull just behind front hatch. I use Hobie bait tank battery connectors for all my electrical connections. they are bulletproof. are you running any other kind of electrical devices off your battery? such as running lights, or bait tank? if so, it is recommended to power them up on a separate battery. this will isolate a failure to just one piece of equipment, as opposed to ruining your whole day. I have also used another brand of lipo battery and have very good success with them too. I use those for my vitals vault bait tank mounted on my ocean kayak. Bioenno battery is the manufacture. they make large battery's that can power up head units. they have a full line of battery sizes and I really like the 10 amp 6 vlt for running a bait tank. their price point is pretty reasonable in my opinion. I prefer the earth x battery for my fish finder because of the solid brass connectors on top which are corrosion resistant and water proof. hope this information helps.
+1
Udine219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 11:59 PM   #5
jorluivil

I am using and have been using a Bioenno 12V 12Ah LFP Battery (ABS, BLF-1212AS) for a few years now. The price is far more than a typical SLA battery but the battery run time and the overall weight of the battery outweighs the additional cost of the battery.

As far as where to mount the battery.......mine is mounted inside the kayak right under the seat and just aft of the center hatch, it is easily accessible while sitting. The battery bag that I used is the Ocean Kayak Battery Bag, its about $35. The Bienno battery fits perfect in the bag, it almost as if the bag was made for it

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 05:35 AM   #6
YakDout
Brandon

The nocqua 10AH battery has been great for me. Talk about small and light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YakDout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 07:42 AM   #7
TJones

X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
I am using and have been using a Bioenno 12V 12Ah LFP Battery (ABS, BLF-1212AS) for a few years now. The price is far more than a typical SLA battery but the battery run time and the overall weight of the battery outweighs the additional cost of the battery.

As far as where to mount the battery.......mine is mounted inside the kayak right under the seat and just aft of the center hatch, it is easily accessible while sitting. The battery bag that I used is the Ocean Kayak Battery Bag, its about $35. The Bienno battery fits perfect in the bag, it almost as if the bag was made for it

very similar setup as mine. . now lets get out and fish together. so I can get some of them big barns doors you always be pulling up.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 10:30 AM   #8
Salty

Installed my FF 2 weekends ago and originally did this as a temporary setup, but honestly I think it will end up working out pretty well longer term. Still might work out something different down the road, but as long as the dry bag stays DRY, I should be fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6036.jpg (50.1 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6039.jpg (53.0 KB, 53 views)
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote