Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 07-11-2013, 08:07 AM   #1
TJones

mounting transducer

i have a revolution 13 with a hummingbird 898 si . to run the unit i needed a 18 amp battery which i concluded, with my body weight was more weight than the yak could handle . so i switched to what the other guys were using . a lowrance 5 . what is the best way to mount transducer? right now i have it mounted with a soft putty i bought from home depot that remains pliable and does not dry up . i was thinking about mounting doing a wet mount with plastic container . anyone have pictures or suggestions. in the past i have done a wet mount mount with this putty which is pretty good because everything is temporary . thanks for any help . also i will sell the 898 for any reasonable offer .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:10 AM   #2
easyday

In the innovations thread there is a pretty good write up on how to do a wetound using abs.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:21 AM   #3
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

I did a wet mount thru the rear scupper on a custom bracket on my revo, i will post some pics when i get off the freeway!

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:14 AM   #4
danjor

Get a flush mount transducer. The look great and on paper should work better.
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:30 AM   #5
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

here you go.
2013-02-17_12-49-12_368.jpg

2013-02-17_12-42-57_965.jpg

2013-02-17_12-47-17_296.jpg

2013-02-17_12-48-12_112.jpg

2013-02-17_12-49-00_489.jpg

more to follow still downloading to my tablet from the cloud

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

Old 07-11-2013, 11:03 AM   #6
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

last 2
2013-02-17_12-07-27_260.jpg

2013-02-17_12-47-46_965.jpg

It works great,I just have to be mind full of when I slide the hull along the bed extender to load and unload.

Old 07-11-2013, 12:06 PM   #7
Hunters Pa

How brave are ya?????

http://www.kayaksportfishing.com/php...pic.php?t=8407

Still dry almost 4 years later.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:07 PM   #8
TJones

excellent bus

lowrance actually sells the bracket that you made . the only negative is i need the scupper for hobie tank . so this idea is not what i want . i did do a similar mount with the hummingbird transducer . i used the forward seat drain scupper . if i took a wave on the launch i would not drain out as fast which was not good . thanks for suggestions .
Old 07-11-2013, 04:15 PM   #9
TJones

what i was looking for was

using one of those plastic snap together lunch boxes . cut out bottom section and glue to kayak . mount trans to top of box . put water in box and snap top on . anyone have pictures of this ?
Old 07-11-2013, 04:34 PM   #10
danjor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
lowrance actually sells the bracket that you made . the only negative is i need the scupper for hobie tank . so this idea is not what i want . i did do a similar mount with the hummingbird transducer . i used the forward seat drain scupper . if i took a wave on the launch i would not drain out as fast which was not good . thanks for suggestions .
The humminbird mount I used to have on my trident almost sunk my yak first time launching with it. Didn't let that side of the foot well drain and it all flooded in threw the rod pod. By the time I got past the surf which took longer than normal (probably due to the water flooding in the yak) I only had a couple inches of air in the hull before it would have gone down. Good concept in the mount but bad design since it plugs the scupper....
All is good now though. Have a x factor with a thru hull flush mount transducer

Last edited by danjor; 07-11-2013 at 07:17 PM.
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:14 PM   #11
TJones

The hobie

Has two small scupper holes to drain the seat area. Negating one of them by plugging it up with wire is not a great idea. You're experience sounds pretty hairy.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:10 PM   #12
MrPatrick

Put a spacer between the nut and the kayak. This lets the scupper do what it is supposed to do. I cut the corner of a heavy duty plastic hanger so there is a lot of contact between the the hanger corner and the nut for the transducer mount. It drains slower but doesn't swamp in the surf.
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:10 PM   #13
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
I looked at the lowerance but didnt like the plastic rod and the donut in the scupper to keep it aligined.Mine drains 100 times better then the lowerance as I didnt use a "dount" inside the scupper like the lowrance does. The bracket I made has a angle in it that maintains the alignment. I have been using a hobie live well and doing surf launches for about 2 months now no issues with it to date.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:39 PM   #14
Jimmyz123

Quote:
i have a revolution 13 with a hummingbird 898 si . to run the unit i needed a 18 amp battery which i concluded, with my body weight was more weight than the yak could handle . so i switched to what the other guys were using . a lowrance 5 . what is the best way to mount transducer? right now i have it mounted with a soft putty i bought from home depot that remains pliable and does not dry up . i was thinking about mounting doing a wet mount with plastic container . anyone have pictures or suggestions. in the past i have done a wet mount mount with this putty which is pretty good because everything is temporary . thanks for any help . also i will sell the 898 for any reasonable offer .
Why change the mount that you have? It works great and won't move? You'll get correct readings and you're good to go. I personally love the Electrical Putty install the best. I just purchased a DI/SI system and so I need to put the transducer in the water or I would keep using the putty installation.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:43 AM   #15
TJones

using the putty

will not degrade the signal much if at all ? that is my only concern . one other good method which might be better is using the putty to build a well around the transducer and putting water inside the well . have you figured out how you are going to mount the s/i transducer in the water ?
Old 07-12-2013, 07:13 AM   #16
captnblood34

DUCT SEAL, its cheaper than a sabiki. Look under the share your innovations tab and you will see various versions of ducer mounts. Mine is the Tarpon 120 (mango) with the duct seal bowl mount as you suggested. Apparently the shaped bowl with water in it is not necessary. It was explained to me once but I forgot..... Good luck.

J
captnblood34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:35 AM   #17
TJones

bowl with water is not necessary ?

just leave it the way it is, dry mounted with duct seal?
Old 07-12-2013, 08:20 AM   #18
StinkyMatt

I ran a goop install for 9 months.

A water well in the hull for almost two years.

A putty in the hull for for over6 months.

Same kayak and FF. The only variable was the install of the ducer.

Based my observation of all three intallations with fairly controlled variables over a period of three years I conclude that the water mount is superior in performance to the other two.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:33 AM   #19
steveooo

My thoughts on the transducer, although this topic has been covered pretty extensively.

The best possible location for a transducer is in the water. That will give you the best readings.

If you can't do that, you will want it to shoot through the least amount of material as possible.

Transducers will not shoot through air. Any material that has bubbles in it, or has the chance of a bubble getting under it will degrade the signal to some extent. How much it degrades the signal is up for debate. IMO we make a bigger deal of it than it really is. Prior to my current install, I used Marine Goop on several kayaks. Every Gooped transducer I would pull up to transfer to another kayak, had little tiny bubbles. I also got great readings from those transducers, dispite all the bubbles. I was able to see small jig heads and track them to the bottom in 100 feet. I wasn't exactly using the best fishfinders on the market either.

If directly in the water isn't an option, I think you will have good results with whatever method you use (wet mount, goop, putty) unless you have a very large air bubble under the 'ducer.

I get good results in my current install, but if someone doesn't want to cut a big hole, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Goop install done properly, because I've seen how well it works.
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:16 AM   #20
oneyedeer

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...light=portable

sensible and portable
oneyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote