Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2012, 04:29 PM   #1
frugalfisher

0 for 3

Fished LJ yesterday for 9 hours, paddled 14 miles, hooked up 3 times. First off, the beach was complete with hula dancers at the resort!! Awesome party atmosphere I was stoked to get out. Patiently waited for the right moment between sets, took off my shirt and glasses (just in case-not my first rodeo) and paddled into no less than four big breakers. Timing is key (messed up there) and don't stop paddling. Made it through the surf zone and the water wasn't cold at all. The ocean was beautiful, clear, and sunny skies, some inshore wind ~8 mph made for paddling out more tiring. Couldn't find any greenies in my best spots. Plenty o large Spanish though. Bait fished for hour plus...
#1 lost: Pinned on a Spanish and headed out. Rounded the corner, 90 ft and got picked up with a screaming run, too much line out, popped through a couple stringers. fish went to the bottom, sleigh ride, Pber watching, forgot gaff, yelled over, they headed over to assist, some more kelp like feeling popping through, strong pull and rocked. Damn, had too much line out on that one. Big fish self release if you are not on your game.
#2 lost. Worked that area for 2 hours. Finally screaming clicker again, new 40lb fluoro great knot, tied perfect, won't let this one get to the bottom, pulling drag, too much line going out, tighten drag, same deal, tighter, POP. Shiznit@$#$%@!! The perfect knot broke>>remember big fish self release if you are not on your game even when you think you are.
#3 lost: paddled the area, out from the condo 80-105 ft for another 90 min, then paddled way south and out to the edge of the kelp where all the boats were, finally got two greenies, and two large sardines, and another dozen spanish, watched them bite, watched Barracuda dart in and check out the sabiki-cool, trolled, casted at likely bird feedings and surface clues, no luck, getting towards sunset, paddling back, almost to the home stretch out for the launch and screamer number three. Got turned around, making line, can't believe it, pulling, reeling, getting closer, kelp, kelp, kelp, sawing, pulling, sawing, don't force it, pulling, good, sawing, pull, saw, pull, POP @$#%!!, 10 feet of line left, clean hook. That one was close.
I am so stoked to live here in San Diego and to go out on the ocean and fish. I had a blast, got an awesome workout, pulled like hell on some big fish. Saw hula dancers -seriously. What a wonderful way to get my ass kicked! Next time I might just win!
Old 07-01-2012, 04:56 PM   #2
GregAndrew

Beats the hell out of my day yesterday. 13.5 hours otw for a few Barracuda and a lot of paddling. Exercise and vitamin D are all I took home (except for a bit of bagged up bait for later) from that trip. Oh, and that was my 3rd day in a row being kicked in the teeth by the 3 target species.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:21 PM   #3
seaquinn
wishin' I was fishin'

very cool... time on the water definitely pays off.... thanks for the report.
seaquinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:46 PM   #4
lamb

Ouch James...

My condolences - that's got to hurt.

The other night I went out for a quick PM run. I promptly lost 2, both in a kelp, both broke me off the same way...

I felt like shit 2 days.

I'd say you'd pro'ly feel better after about 3 days...

Hey - there's always tomorrow!
Old 07-02-2012, 02:00 AM   #5
Chief Gunner

I feel your pain; I had a very similar day out there on Sat. I worked hard, got bit a few times and lost a couple of fish but the worst of it was the overly aggressive big male dog that kept me reeling in the heads off of the big fatty greenbacks I had. I could not shake that SOB...he followed me for quite awhile until he realized that I was not going to give him any more free doggie treats. I wonder if he went and messed with anyone else, he's not shy and will come right to the PA or Yak chasing your bait.

I still had a blast though and I'm still feeling the sunburn on my lower legs because I lost my sun block launching at gray light. I dunno if it was me but it seemed like the surf was higher than normal and the timing was a bit off between sets. I got a hella workout launching my PA.
Chief Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:48 AM   #6
T Bone

Its the that keeps you going back.I farmed five in 2 days till i landed my first...

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote