Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2010, 08:01 AM   #1
Sherm

Bugs and gunfire 02-17-10

The weather and tide were just too nice to ignore so I grabbed the yak and hit the water for some evening buggin. I met my bud Josh and we were on our way.

We started the paddle out of the harbor and noticed a lot of Navy activity going in and out. There were ships on the horizon and helicopters and patrol boats with their 50 cals mounted up front heading in and out of the harbor. Josh and I waited for a large Naval vessel to pass and we were off and running with hoops down just after sunset. There was NO wind and it was warm. San Diego in winter sure sucks!!!

Just as the light was fading I heard a large BOOM coming from the horizon. I looked out an saw some smoke coming from one of the ships out there. Then several bright flashes and 2 seconds later another set of large booms. The Naval ship was fireing its cannons. Then the machine gun fire started. It was awesome!!! I just sat there and listened to the cannon and gun fire while watching the sunset. Then it was time for our first pull.

The bugs were crawling and so were the dogs. The dogs would not leave Josh's cages alone. They trashed two or three of his bait cages. They were just crushed. He also lost a hoop to the bottom as well. The only good thing was that the bugs were moving and while the dogs were occupied with Josh's stuff I was able to get in a couple good pulls. Sorry Josh...just being a

The dogs finally did leave for a brief time and we managed some keepers and a ton of clickers. At one point I think I found a rookery for bugs. I pulled up one hoop that had eight bugs in it. Not one of them was bigger than a large crawdad.

The weather stayed awesome all night. If not for the dogs it would have been perfect.

Back at the beach around 10pm. One Shy of a limit. Josh I think had four. One of which is pictured below.

Attached Thumbnails

Attached Images

Sherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:45 AM   #2
Iceman
Administrator

Nice consistency!

Seemed too much like a summer evening to stay in the house. Steve and I did some night time bassin at Newport and the glassy conditions turned to fog and a stiff breeze
Old 02-18-2010, 08:49 AM   #3
Sherm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Nice consistency!

Seemed too much like a summer evening to stay in the house. Steve and I did some night time bassin at Newport and the glassy conditions turned to fog and a stiff breeze
Any fish? There were a couple guys doing the night time bass fishing thing in SD last night as well..
Old 02-18-2010, 10:08 AM   #4
Matt
Support your local pangas

Nice job out there as always Sherm!! Did you find your lotto winning rock?
Old 02-18-2010, 10:25 AM   #5
Sherm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Nice job out there as always Sherm!! Did you find your lotto winning rock?
I didn't bother looking. The show from the Naval exercizes was enough for me. When are we getting out again Matt?
Old 02-18-2010, 10:29 AM   #6
Matt
Support your local pangas

Sunday night?
Old 02-18-2010, 11:10 AM   #7
Sherm

The weather is supposed to suck. Maybe
Old 02-18-2010, 04:09 PM   #8
NextBite

WTG! Sherm
Old 02-18-2010, 07:54 PM   #9
frady

Couldn't ask for better conditions. What is that a ghost hovering over my yak! Had a great time, even with all the snags. Going to build a couple new indestructible cages on Saturday. We will put them to the test the next trip out.
frady is offline   Reply With Quote