Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 03-03-2023, 06:23 AM   #1
kirkdavis

New Groundfish Regulations

Maybe I'm not looking in the right place, but I can't find anyone complaining about the new groundfish regulations. I have read it multiple times and come up with the same answer every time: FOR THE SOUTHERN AREA WE CAN ONLY HARVEST GROUNDFISH FROM APRIL 1 TO SEPTEMBER 15 IN WATER LESS THAN 300 FT. They just keep nibbling away at our rights to fish. I am a true believer in conservation of our natural resources, but our government is making way too many decisions based on the squeeky wheels rather than honest science.
I urge everyone to read the new regs. To me it is very confusing to have SO MANY regulations. Soon we'll only be able to keep mackerel.
kirkdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 07:58 AM   #2
FoodGeekFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkdavis View Post
Maybe I'm not looking in the right place, but I can't find anyone complaining about the new groundfish regulations. I have read it multiple times and come up with the same answer every time: FOR THE SOUTHERN AREA WE CAN ONLY HARVEST GROUNDFISH FROM APRIL 1 TO SEPTEMBER 15 IN WATER LESS THAN 300 FT. They just keep nibbling away at our rights to fish. I am a true believer in conservation of our natural resources, but our government is making way too many decisions based on the squeeky wheels rather than honest science.
I urge everyone to read the new regs. To me it is very confusing to have SO MANY regulations. Soon we'll only be able to keep mackerel.
I'm not sure what source you're reading, but as I read the groundfish regs, take is allowed 4/1 to 9/15 at any depth. Take on nearshore RF is closed 9/16-3/31, take on shelf and slope RF is open beyond 300' for 9/16-12/31 and closed 1/1-3/31.

Nearshore RF - Black, Black and Yellow, Blue, Brown, Calico, China, Copper, Gopher, Grass, Kelp, Olive, Quillback RF and Treefish

Shelf RF - Bocaccio, Canary, Chilipepper, Dusky, Flag, Greenblotched, Greenspotted, Greenstriped, Harlequin, Honeycomb, Mexican, Pink, Redstripe, Rosethorn, Rosy, Shortbelly, Silvergray, Speckled, Squarespot, Starry, Stripetail, Tiger, Verm, Widow and Yellowtial RF

Slope RF - Aurora, Bank, Blackgill, Darkblotched, Redbanded, Rougheye, Sharpchin, Shortraker, Splitnose and Yellowmouth RF

Source: https://wildlife.ca.gov/Fishing/Ocea...-Summary#south
FoodGeekFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 08:05 AM   #3
FoodGeekFish

Also note that Sheephead are closed to boat based anglers 1/1-2/28 with a bag limit of 2, 12" minimum size.
Old 03-03-2023, 10:07 AM   #4
kirkdavis

I agree with your interpretation.

I was talking about the near shore because that is my kayak stomping grounds. we now have only five and a half months near shore to be able to keep rockfish.
kirkdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 12:19 PM   #5
daperrin
www.TheKayakLaunch

I didn't realize we couldn't fish for rock cod until April 1. I was thinking of heading out this weekend

And we use to be able to fish until Dec 31st I thought. What a bummer.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@thekayaklaunch
https://www.instagram.com/thekayaklaunch
daperrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 12:42 PM   #6
FoodGeekFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkdavis View Post
I was talking about the near shore because that is my kayak stomping grounds. we now have only five and a half months near shore to be able to keep rockfish.
Ah, I see where I misinterpreted your statement, Kirk. I took it as suggesting that all rockfish harvesting was sub 300', and only March-September.
Old 03-03-2023, 05:09 PM   #7
AlwaysFishing

Southern Management Area

And don't forget some species are no take from Sept 16th - Dec 31st. Copper, Treefish, and Cabezon for example.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Southern_2023_Seasons.jpg (84.9 KB, 64 views)
AlwaysFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 05:34 PM   #8
AlwaysFishing

50 Fathom Curve - Redondo Beach

Mapped out the 50 Fathom Curve for Redondo beach canyon. Be sure to be seaward of the yellow line from Sept 16th to Dec 31.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 50FathomCurve2023.jpg (47.6 KB, 69 views)
Old 03-04-2023, 07:43 AM   #9
PapaDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysFishing View Post
Mapped out the 50 Fathom Curve for Redondo beach canyon. Be sure to be seaward of the yellow line from Sept 16th to Dec 31.
That bottom terrain looks interesting, where can one launch from there? Boat or kayak.
Old 03-04-2023, 07:45 PM   #10
AlwaysFishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaDave View Post
That bottom terrain looks interesting, where can one launch from there? Boat or kayak.
The hand launch dock by the old pier is being repair. Hopefully it will be completed by RF season opener. If not, you can launch from the dock at the the boat hoist (south end of the parking lot) but you would need help carrying your kayak down the narrow ramp. There is no boat ramp so the only option for boat is the hoist. They charge based on the length of your boat. They can also hoist your kayak down too and it's $18 but you get a 12 hour parking voucher for $4. Hope that help.
Old 03-08-2023, 06:00 AM   #11
PapaDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysFishing View Post
The hand launch dock by the old pier is being repair. Hopefully it will be completed by RF season opener. If not, you can launch from the dock at the the boat hoist (south end of the parking lot) but you would need help carrying your kayak down the narrow ramp. There is no boat ramp so the only option for boat is the hoist. They charge based on the length of your boat. They can also hoist your kayak down too and it's $18 but you get a 12 hour parking voucher for $4. Hope that help.
It does, thanks.