Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2016, 11:31 PM   #1
Captainskunk
Junior

Transporting Kayak

Hi everyone new member here. I have fish on rented kayak and really enjoyed it. I am strongly considering to get one myself. My question is how doe the sedan owners transport their kayaks? I have a 07 toyota camry. Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.
Captainskunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 12:30 AM   #2
King Saba

Which kayak are you planning to get? My buddy has a 9' Lanai and just picks it up and throws it on top of his car hull facing up. He has some pool noodles resting under the kayak so as to not scratch up his car and some straps to secure it down. I often envy him that he can juggle that little thing so easily while I'm huffing and puffing trying to find the center of gravity while loading mine.
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 01:50 AM   #3
Murray

I transport my hobie outback on top of my mazda 3. Use thule racks I bought used on this website for less than $200. Use 2 straps only (1 per thule bar). Just need a willing soul to help me load and unload but not a problem so far.
Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 06:28 AM   #4
JAllen
Junior

Chevy Cruze

I have a 12' Hobie Outback and have no problem transporting it on top of my Chevy Cruze. Same setup as the above post with the Thule rack. Mine was closer to $500 new though. I load and unload it by myself but it takes a little practice and you have to balance it on your head...obviously much easier if you have a partner but is definitely doable if you have no other option.
JAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 06:47 AM   #5
jorluivil

I use to transport a hobie outback on a two door civic with Yakima racks, never had any issues.

Just make sure it's strapped down well and add some bow/stern lines.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer

Last edited by jorluivil; 01-15-2016 at 07:31 AM.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 07:24 AM   #6
Dave Legacy

Get some legit racks/saddles and you'll be good to go. I occasionally transport my 13' Tandem on my Honda Accord Sedan using foam blocks. It works, but the roof skin does buckle under the weight. It all returns to normal afterward, but in my opinion the use of foam blocks hard on the vehicle. Spend the money and do it right.
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 07:26 AM   #7
Mahigeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainskunk View Post
Hi everyone new member here. I have fish on rented kayak and really enjoyed it. I am strongly considering to get one myself. My question is how doe the sedan owners transport their kayaks? I have a 07 toyota camry. Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.
Are you on SC surf fishing website?

Check my kayak sale on the "for sale board".

Mahigeer AKA Fener.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 10:10 AM   #8
Captainskunk
Junior

Thanks everyone for the information. I guess yakima/thule is the way to go. I am thinking about getting a used hobie outback. Hopefully soon so I can see you guys on the water.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:11 AM   #9
Captainskunk
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post
Are you on SC surf fishing website?

Check my kayak sale on the "for sale board".

Mahigeer AKA Fener.

Hi Hasheem yes I am on SC Surf fishing. It is a sweet rig you are selling but I am leaning towards a hobie outback.
Old 01-15-2016, 02:11 PM   #10
User name

I got a used Thule glide and set kayak carrier on ebay and use the following method to load. The only difference is i load from the trunk instead of the hood.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SN55Jfu94c
User name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 03:08 PM   #11
maquinapescado

I put a PA14 on my Impreza Sport Wagon. Anything is possible.
Old 01-15-2016, 04:33 PM   #12
Autrout
Junior

I load my outback on a 2005 Camry. Same set up as above. . . .one strap per bar . I do sit the kayak upside down. You can use an extension bar to load one end at a time but i dont think it is woth it. I pretty much lift it right up and I'm pretty old. I also throw on a trident when the kids want to go . . .that is a challenge

Good luck
Autrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 02:56 AM   #13
Captainskunk
Junior

Thanks again everyone for all the info and suggestion. I have a pretty good idea of which roof top rack system I am going to get and found a few on craigslist. Think I am gonna pull the trigger soon on the rack system.