Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2021, 11:57 AM   #1
Salty

DP: Memorial Day 5-31-21

Launched at baby beach at 6am. Got bait, then worked the high spots around the buoy off the San Juan rocks. Water averaged around 63 out there. Fishing was rough. Marks were minimal. Live bait had almost no action. Large bait was probably the issue. Was able to get a few decent bites and eventually got a 16" sandy with small squid pinned to a yoyo. Caught a fairly new looking kayak anchor too! (I swear, I catch the weirded shit here... I'll just add it to the list I guess)

Headed back to the harbor a bit early and decided to use up the rest of my bait doing some Hail-Mary drifts for halibut while dodging the expected holiday traffic. Ended up getting one which was nice, even though it was short. Was fun to have a small crowd watching from the railing clap and take pictures too lol. Must have gotten wrapped on my line at some point judging by the braid-burn across it's back. Still swam away strong though. Got back to baby beach at around 2pm to a scene that made me think I had been transported to wither La Jolla or Miami Beach. Just chaos and paddleboards all along the shore. Even with the crowded beach and harbor, it was still good to get out there and pull on some fish. Hope you all had a nice Memorial Day too! Much respect to all you veterans and service members out there for making days like this possible.
Attached Images

Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 01:22 PM   #2
PapaDave

I fished the harbor that Saturday, outside was a bit too rough for my guest. We managed a few Spotties and a WSB about 6 inches short, fun. Yeah, the bait wasn't real good, had a lot die out on me. The bait is usually much better.

The trick with the large sardines is....

Just kidding, fish in free spool and when they bite, let them run for a bit.
Old 06-02-2021, 01:50 PM   #3
Salty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaDave View Post
I fished the harbor that Saturday, outside was a bit too rough for my guest. We managed a few Spotties and a WSB about 6 inches short, fun. Yeah, the bait wasn't real good, had a lot die out on me. The bait is usually much better.

The trick with the large sardines is....

Just kidding, fish in free spool and when they bite, let them run for a bit.
Yeah I had a decent amount die on me as well. Threw the bigger ones away early to try to free up space for the others. Better to have fewer good baitfish, than a lot of dead ones. And yeah, whenever I feel a bite on a large sardine, if it feels like bass, I just open the drag to free-spool and wait for them to take the whole thing! lol
Old 06-03-2021, 06:21 AM   #4
JohnMckroidJr

Nice photos and report. At least you got an anchor out of it! That Halibut? Fins near the scar are all gone like it was old, but it still looks kind of raw on the back?
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 09:13 AM   #5
jruiz
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr View Post
Nice photos and report. At least you got an anchor out of it! That Halibut? Fins near the scar are all gone like it was old, but it still looks kind of raw on the back?
If it wasn't his braid I would think it was a stuck in a net at some point
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 10:44 AM   #6
Salty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr View Post
Yeah, It was pretty strange. Noticed the fins were deformed along the scar line too, but the cut on the back was definitely fresh. Maybe this particular fish has the unique behavior of getting wrapped on slack line or something? Guess I'll just have to catch him again and ask him
Old 06-03-2021, 10:56 AM   #7
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruiz View Post
If it wasn't his braid I would think it was a stuck in a net at some point
Agree....regardless of if the braid re-newed the injury, definitely looks like a prior net incident.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote