Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-14-2019, 02:19 PM   #1
trollindirty
Junior

La Jolla hookup Aug 29 and/or 30th

Hi everyone,

I'm relocating from Reno NV to Raleigh NC. Since I love saltwater fishing in my Hobie Outback, I decided it'd be worthwhile to detour to San Diego for a day or two of kayak fishing. I have a lot of experience kayak fishing offshore at the Rigs when I lived in Houston prior to Reno.

I want to launch from Avenida de la Playa. I plan on going to the kelp beds (past the restricted zone) and jig midwater/bottom as well as troll/freeline any bait I can catch with my sabiki. I'm targeting yellowtail, but will be happy with rockfish or whatever else I can get. I have sonar/gps and can take 2 rods with me.

First, I'd be much more comfortable if there's other kayak fisherman in the area. From what I read, it seems like this area is pretty popular with kayak fisherman. Is it likely that I'll have company on those days? If not, I'd love to hear from anyone thinking of going so that I can meet up.

Can anyone enlighten me on the surf conditions I should expect? Whats the surf structure in that area (number of sandbars, how many sets of breakers, anything I should be aware of, etc)? What swell/surf conditions and sizes are "doable" for a reasonably safe launch and reentry?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Bo
trollindirty is offline   Reply With Quote