Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2017, 05:36 PM   #1
hook1fred

Question about fishing Dana

Not looking for specific spots just general info. My original plan for this Sunday was hit La Jolla but predicted swell conditions kinda made me change my plans. New plans are to fish Dana for the first time and go after Hali's. I plan on either catching bait or if I'm short on time swinging by the barge and buying some. Now my question is since I've never fished out there before when leaving the harbor do you guys turn left, right or straight out. Also if there is a swell how would leaving the harbor be as far as waves. Since I've never fished out there any info would be cool thanks guys

Last edited by hook1fred; 02-17-2017 at 06:42 PM.
hook1fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:09 PM   #2
steveooo

Looks sporty at Dana this Sunday too.

2 swells coming the same direction 6' @ 13 second and 5.5' at 9 seconds.

Too many nice days to fish to fight conditions like that IMO.
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:13 PM   #3
jbl_91762

Quote:
Originally Posted by hook1fred View Post
Not looking for specific spots just general info. My original plan for this Sunday was hit La Jolla but predicted swell conditions kinda made me change my plans. New plans are to fish Dana for the first time and go after Hali's. I plan on either catching bait or if I'm short on time swinging by the barge and buying some. Now my question is since I've never fished out there before when leaving the harbor do you guys turn left, right or straight out. Also if there is a swell how would leaving the harbor be as far as waves. Since I've never fished out there any info would be cool thanks guys
I have limited info as I've only fished it three times. Not sure if the bait barge is open this time of year. Pay the $10 to park at boat launch and save you time, plus there is a wash station once your done. Short paddle to outlet and you will encounter swells right away at the mouth of jetty. I've seen boats catch bait just past mouth. Now Where the Butt are I have no clue as I've been skunked each time and its probably a close guarded secret lol. Good luck be safe with the big swells.
jbl_91762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 05:00 PM   #4
PapaDave

I fish Dana a lot, have for the last 5 years. I have roughly 300 spots out there marked. Like anywhere else, it can be good, and it can be not so good.

Right now the Halibut are biting outside of Doheny and Salt creek hard bottom areas in about 120 feet more or less. You will have to put your time in though, takes awhile to find them. I heard that the bass were starting to break loose but that was before the latest couple of storms came through.

The pipeline - A pipe that runs out from the red buoy outside the harbor about a mile. If you look on your FF for a 10-15 foot hump that's it.

Salt creek - North of the harbor just past the point, fish along the kelp or head inside the kelp or thru it to the inshore area.

Doheny - the area south of the harbor, lots of kelp beds to explore. Fish shallow or deep. Be careful of the shallow reefs as the swells really build up and can catch you flat footed and easily roll you over. Keep an eye out for the boiling water or the areas where the waves break more than other areas.

You might consider waiting though, when the surf is heavy it tend to bugger up the shallower water (<40') and you wont do very well.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:47 PM   #5
Vikingj

I get out @Dana pt about once a week for the past 10yrs and Dave is right on w/ his recommendation. There is no secret spot or "hali hole". I caught 6 nice ones (27 - 37") last year from 3-4 different spots (Salt Creek, Strands, Pipe, and harbor). The past 3-4 weeks I've been skunked for hali but usually pick up a bass or two. Last week the bass were biting well at about 45-50' on pipe. Making bait (small/med macs) has been relatively easy almost every time if I go out 40-100'depth (not found at harbor mouth recently). No waves at harbor mouth except during storms. Live bait available for $20 24/7 all year. Free parking and launch at baby beach near Ocean institute or pay at boat launch and save paddling an extra mile-ish. Good luck

Last edited by Vikingj; 02-18-2017 at 07:53 PM. Reason: addendum
Vikingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 06:16 AM   #6
DanaPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveooo View Post
Looks sporty at Dana this Sunday too.

2 swells coming the same direction 6' @ 13 second and 5.5' at 9 seconds.

Too many nice days to fish to fight conditions like that IMO.
Here is a pic from yesterday am. Waves were sloppy and big crashing over the long wall. Big brown area of run-off extending about 1/2 mile out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16722545_10210268553462385_1731517394804177657_o.jpg (36.1 KB, 85 views)
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 08:07 AM   #7
hook1fred

Thanks for the info guys. I've decided maybe this weekend isn't the best to venture out to Dana. I'll have to plan another trip up there when the swell isn't pumping 👍🏽
hook1fred is offline   Reply With Quote