Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 11-14-2008, 09:28 AM   #1
Billy V

Transducer Surprise

When I gooped down my transducer on the last yak everything seemed fine, but little did I know bubbles had formed under the puck.

I tried to be as careful as possible laying the puck into the small puddle of goop, and allowed it to dry in place for 24 hours.
I wish there was a better way to mount the puck for a clear picture.
-It seemed to locate bait, structure, and depth ok to about 150 ft., but I would bet I missed a lot more important info.

This is how it looked from the top as I removed it.

This was the bottom side..

Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 09:48 AM   #2
Iceman
Administrator

next time put the Goop on the transducer not on the kayak surface. The flat Hummingbird ones are a little trickeir than the Eagle/Cuda Lowrance ones.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:30 AM   #3
NY-2-SANO
Junior

I had the same problem and wound up returning 2 units to West Marine (no questions asked on the returns). I only returned the unit the first time, after the second I removed the transducer and had the same issues with the bubbles. The directions for Hummingbird say to use ONLY 2 part epoxy and not Goop, silicone or 5 minute epoxy because of the possibility of bubbles forming over time. I should have read the directions from the beginning.
NY-2-SANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 01:07 PM   #4
bajadog
I eats what I kills

The quicker a cure, the more chance for bubbles due to out gassing.

I would think RTV would not have that issue. I don't ever recall seeing
bubbles in RTV "formagasket" automotive products.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:18 PM   #5
dgax65
Guerro Grande

Goop also forms bubbles when you move it. Try to put it on in one smooth movement and then don't touch it until it cures.

I had one that bubbled like that, but I was still able to get good bottom returns at more than 600' I don't think the bubbles matter that much unless the Goop layer is really thick. I always press the transducer down so there is very little Goop under it. I put a thick layer of Goop up the sides and over the top edge to get a good hold on the transducer.

I'm not convinced that all the bubbles came from the curing. With such a thin layer of Goop, it is possible that some of this happened when they were pried up.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:32 PM   #6
kareem korn

I had that problem with my xtreme. The layer of foam on the inside reacted with the goop and always causing the same bubbles you have pictured. I had to grind down a 4" X 4" area to the kayak material, than attach my transducer.
kareem korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 06:04 AM   #7
technoyak

I recently installed my transducer and did it with a Gladware plastic container. I did cut the botom of the container, siliconed it to the bottom of the kayak so that it would align with the transducer when lowered (it is mounted on the sail mast, Hobie Adventure). I made a hole on the lid and put together the transducer mount and the lid so the lid is "trapped" along with the transducer. Also made a few drilled (very small draining) holes on the edges of the lid. I put water before launching. When I store my kayak, it drains inside and I sponge it out at home.
technoyak is offline   Reply With Quote