Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2016, 07:22 PM   #21
Harry Hill

the biggest reason I haven't fished La Jolla yet is my knees. I had them both replaced in the last year and they don't work good yet. So even when I land in Mission Bay or Newport I have a hard time getting my feet under me. It's getting better but if I had to jump out in surf I would get pounded and knocked down. I'll be glad then they are working again. I hate missing out on this great fishing.
Harry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:16 PM   #22
Murray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hill View Post
the biggest reason I haven't fished La Jolla yet is my knees. I had them both replaced in the last year and they don't work good yet. So even when I land in Mission Bay or Newport I have a hard time getting my feet under me. It's getting better but if I had to jump out in surf I would get pounded and knocked down. I'll be glad then they are working again. I hate missing out on this great fishing.
Take your time and get strong. The fish will be there when you regain your strength. I have an ab issue and it gets aggravated on every trip. Nothing like what you are dealing with though. I am sure your body will let you know when it is time to hit the surf.
Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 07:00 AM   #23
PapaDave

I tend to kamikaze it in, that is I peddle as fast as I can, lock the drive in the up position as it gets shallow, coast in and jump out closer to the sand, if necessary, sometimes you can just glide on in.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:40 AM   #24
WARRIORMIKE

I use the paddles to launch and land. Its comfortable to me. I've tried it both ways. When I used the mirage drive I bent the rods because I didn't lock them up far enough. Paddles seem to be the best for me. Again its what your comfortable with . When I do land and launch I make sure the skeg and the rudder are up. Once I get past the breakers I will engage it all. When landing again, I make sure everything is up. Take out the mirage drive prior. I use carabiner clips to make sure they are locked and come in with the paddles.
WARRIORMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 02:00 PM   #25
deltadelta
Junior

I'm definitely no expert, but what I do is unlock the rudder (to where I can still guide it, but if it hits the sand it will rise up and not break), I time the set, peddle as fast as I can get, quickly pull up the mirage drive, and then paddle in the rest of the way with the momentum I've created.
deltadelta is offline   Reply With Quote