Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2015, 03:42 AM   #1
Murray

9-25 La Jolla Report

Bait at pier and kelp very hard to make. Only made 1 big greenie in kelp but dog scarfed it after only 10 minutes on the troll. Think dogs become difficult when bait goes hiding. Would be interesting to hear opinions on why bait does not bite or leaves the area. Looked like everyone was in the same boat as most of us were in the bait making mode well into mid morning. Pretty warm with no wind made it easy to call it a day around 10:30 or so.
Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 10:01 AM   #2
chris138
donkey roper

Bright moon at night usually gives the macs lockjaw cuz they are feeding on nighttime plankton
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 10:37 AM   #3
svendawg

Same for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray View Post
Bait at pier and kelp very hard to make. Only made 1 big greenie in kelp but dog scarfed it after only 10 minutes on the troll. Think dogs become difficult when bait goes hiding. Would be interesting to hear opinions on why bait does not bite or leaves the area. Looked like everyone was in the same boat as most of us were in the bait making mode well into mid morning. Pretty warm with no wind made it easy to call it a day around 10:30 or so.

Went yesterday. No bait a pier at 0500, then no bait a kelp line from MPLA boundary to the high rise. Tried all morning. Tried anchovy, squid strips ground up dog food and bait light. Gave up at 1130. Hot and frustrating day
svendawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 11:32 AM   #4
bosshoss

Same for my buddy and myself . Over 3 hrs to make 5 Spanish each and 3 hrs pedaling only to give up our bait to the damn dogs .. Highlight of the day , my bud catching 2 calicos on a iron and seeing a couple whales coming up for air.

Will say ,still a good day on the water with a good friend , clean water , and lots of sun ..

Last edited by bosshoss; 09-26-2015 at 04:25 PM.
bosshoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 04:00 PM   #5
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
I talked to a spear fisherman padding in he said he saw schools of sardines and mackerel in kelp
Old 09-27-2015, 08:34 AM   #6
govomit

There is always jack mackerel at the kelp, they live there. I'm more surprised to hear many of you go to the pier for bait. Isn't it a lot of paddle/pedal-ing to cross the bay for this structure ? Maybe schools of greenbacks visit it once and a while ? Spanish (jack) macs should not be there, they are kelp creatures...no ?
govomit is offline   Reply With Quote