Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 03-18-2017, 07:39 AM   #1
buddha

Terrible stuff in Baja

https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/th...l-nets.650801/
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 08:21 AM   #2
Deamon

Commercial fisherman SUCK, regardless of Country...they'll take the last fish of an entire species if they had the chance. We've certainly benefitted locally with our State's gillnet ban...probably the ONLY thing EVER done right by this State...

I wish Mexico would get it...a healthier Gulf of Baja would bring so many more tourist dollars from the pinche Americano's (I think, lol). This money would move around vs straight to the bribing fish cartel's...

A year or so ago, during our entire stay down at MakoRoberto's paradise, we had to endure watching/smelling a smalltime man's seemingly abandoned gill nets (2) right in front of our place...rotting fish and dead birds. Sad, but we were warned to not touch them...
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 09:24 AM   #3
ronbo613
Waterman At Large

They still use gill nets for salmon on the Columbia River right here in the good ol' USA.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:20 AM   #4
taggermike

That's offensive in so many ways.
I'd imagine if you guys touched the net youd instantly be guilty of theft, illegal use of a gill net, and being over limit. And if there was a single totoaba in the net even greater guilt.
I was south of gonzaga last spring and found 3 totoaba washed up on the beach. All 3 fish were around 5' long. Guts sliced open and swim bladders removed.

We were only there for 3 days but on 2 mornings a panga would come in to the cove we were camping in and spend most of the day. They would then leave at dusk.

I like to shoot the shit with pangeros. These guys weren't hostile or intimating. But I just bid them good morning and walked on by. What ever they were up to I wanted to know nothing about it.

They'll end up fishing the totoaba back in to commercial extinction like they did before. And that will "solve" the problem.

The number of vaquita is estimated to be around 30, I believe. Maybe the commercial end of totoaba will help them
Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:25 AM   #5
FullFlavorPike

#tragedyofthecommons
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote