Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 12-21-2016, 09:33 PM   #1
buddha

A big Thanks to BassManBen!!!!

I really shouldn't be surprised since often fishermen look out for one another but this one is kind of off the charts. More than 2 years ago. BassManBen Pmed me and inquired about bonefishing in Chula Vista so I gave him all the information he needed to know. We never did meet or fish and had not maintained any contact at all.

I posted on Bloody Decks for several weeks, months it seems trying to sell my Truth SG Reel and Avet SXJ MC reels to no avail and looking for a trade for a Okuma Komodo 463 PLX reel.

Nothing for weeks, months.

So yesterday I get a PM from BassManBen on Bloody Decks and he tells me of a great deal on the Okuma Komodo 463 reel in left handed out of the blue!!

Apparently a store in his area in Norcal was selling all Okuma inventory at 50% off and throwing in free braid to top it off!!

He alerted me to the deal and went to the store and I was super lucky that they had ONE reel left!

He bought the reel for me and is going to ship it to me tomorrow! What a great holiday surprise!

The bond in fishermen is real and BassManBen will surely have good fortune for this very unselfish deed!

Thank you BassManBen!!!
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 05:14 AM   #2
Raskal311

How cool is that! And how cool were u to share your intel!
Old 12-22-2016, 06:04 AM   #3
DPevin

So rad!

Let me know how you like that reel after putting it through its paces on the kayak. I'm also a weirdo when it comes to baitcasters and use leftys. Been looking into that Komodo. Everything I hear about it is good. At half off, no wonder there was only one left, scored!
DPevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 06:33 AM   #4
Mahigeer

I met him long time ago via pierfishing.com website.

He is a nice guy indeed.

Last edited by Mahigeer; 12-22-2016 at 10:55 AM.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 06:37 AM   #5
Onit8

Wow... that's super cool! Way to go bassmanben

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Onit8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 06:48 AM   #6
buddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPevin View Post
So rad!

Let me know how you like that reel after putting it through its paces on the kayak. I'm also a weirdo when it comes to baitcasters and use leftys. Been looking into that Komodo. Everything I hear about it is good. At half off, no wonder there was only one left, scored!
I have a few reels I want in lefty that I want to sell the Truth SG and the Avet SXJ MC if you are interested. I have the older model Okuma Komodo in left handed and I like it a lot. Casts really great and strong enough for yellowtail in the 25 lb. class maybe 30. I use it for calico mostly and a great reel. This new reel I will use more for yo yo fishing for yellowtail.
Old 12-22-2016, 06:49 AM   #7
buddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskal311 View Post
How cool is that! And how cool were u to share your intel!

It amazes me that he remembered me after longer than 2 years, never met me ever in person but just wanted to help out a fellow fisherman.
Old 12-22-2016, 06:50 AM   #8
buddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post
I met him long time ago via pierfishinh.com website.

He is a nice guy indeed.
Where did you fish with him?
Old 12-22-2016, 10:52 AM   #9
Mahigeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha View Post
Where did you fish with him?
He came to LA to pickup a kayak and I stored it for him for few days. We also fished the Venice pier in a foggy night before he left.

Having breakfast at Poly’s on the Redondo Sportfishing pier.

Small world isn't it?
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 12:20 PM   #10
DPevin

thanks for the offer, and those are nice reels. however im a total weirdo and fish right handed for my conventional reels. so i wouldnt be interested in those.

ive been looking into a larger baitcaster like the komodo or lexa....but really like the komodo. will be using it for the same purposes as you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha View Post
I have a few reels I want in lefty that I want to sell the Truth SG and the Avet SXJ MC if you are interested. I have the older model Okuma Komodo in left handed and I like it a lot. Casts really great and strong enough for yellowtail in the 25 lb. class maybe 30. I use it for calico mostly and a great reel. This new reel I will use more for yo yo fishing for yellowtail.
DPevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 01:13 PM   #11
buddha

Quote:
thanks for the offer, and those are nice reels. however im a total weirdo and fish right handed for my conventional reels. so i wouldnt be interested in those.

ive been looking into a larger baitcaster like the komodo or lexa....but really like the komodo. will be using it for the same purposes as you.
So you use left handed for baitcasters but right handed for conventional? The komodo is larger than the lexa, has great reviews and built like a tank.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:06 PM   #12
Rock Hopper

Hey Buddha, I'll make sure he sees this!
Rock Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 03:21 PM   #13
goldenglory18

Quote:
So rad!

.02 here..... Komodo is AWESOME. I have the older one (gray with red accents) and its a very comfortable and confidence inspiring casting reel. Havent landed anything on it yet, but it's slotted as my primary 10-20lb reel and wouldnt hesitate to add another to the locker.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure there are some lefties on fleabay for less than $200. Not half off, but the next best deal I can find....
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote