Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 09-06-2015, 10:04 AM   #1
buddha

The Sea Samurai's Message To All On the Shark Sightings

Kevin posted this on my FB San Diego Kayak Fishing group for all to please read.

Urgent message: If you all haven't heard already, the lifeguard division on La Jolla shores is addressing the issue of hammerhead sharks and their interaction with kayakers, swimmers and beach goers. This message was on Let's Talk Hookup this morning.
Their first plan of action is to have all kayak anglers have their fish stored properly long before returning to the launch ramp. This includes gutting fish, bleeding fish, and release/throwing away bait. Though it cannot be proven we are the cause, the media would prove otherwise in the last few weeks. If the problem continues and the sharks continue to roam the beaches due to kayak anglers activities, they will take further action and close the launch ramp.
I for one do not and cannot lose the use of the launch ramp. Fishing off of kayaks is too much fun. Please do your part to be as respectful to our local waters and especially to the beach areas as an angler. Store your fish in a kill bag, front hatch, anything that is not exposing your fish. Also do not toss out your bait in the surf or on the sand. Release all unused bait long before you reach the ramp. It also doesn't hurt to stop posting videos or photos of hammerheads or any sharks near the kayaks. As exciting and unique these times are, we need to stop people from getting the wrong idea.
Please share this message everywhere you can. If someone could post to BWE that would be awesome. You can copy and paste this post if you like.
Thank you everyone, Kevin Nakada

Last edited by Iceman; 10-16-2015 at 09:57 AM.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 10:05 AM   #2
buddha

Here is his update on the shark situation.

A handful were at Fastlane, including myself, when the captain of the lifeguard division came in. This was Wednesday. From there we explained everything discussed above, and they were understanding of the situation and it's uniqueness. That is why the launch is not closed. But the mayor himself said that something needed to be done. It was up to this captain that the decision was to properly inform us kayak anglers in order to avoid future closure at the cost of exposed fish.

Kevin Nakada
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 10:35 AM   #3
chris138
donkey roper

I agree! Let's be responsible and be a solution to the supposed "problem". Irresponsible actions by kayakers reflect poorly on the entire fishing community

Here's another idea. Quit calling the effing news stations. I'm so sick of the guy who just bought a hobie now they want to prove how badass they are because they saw a shark. Hammers makos pointers...shut up already guys. These sharks are always around, and your encounters (however cool they may be) are not special and definitely not news worthy. Stop drawing the media attention.

Honestly I'd love it if they closed the launch. Those of us who live here and fish it all the time have plenty of launch spots to get out there. Pro angler use in la jolla would drop by 90%
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 10:40 AM   #4
Dannowar

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris138 View Post
I agree! Let's be responsible and be a solution to the supposed "problem". Irresponsible actions by kayakers reflect poorly on the entire fishing community

Here's another idea. Quit calling the effing news stations. I'm so sick of the guy who just bought a hobie now they want to prove how badass they are because they saw a shark. Hammers makos pointers...shut up already guys. These sharks are always around, and your encounters (however cool they may be) are not special and definitely not news worthy. Stop drawing the media attention.

Honestly I'd love it if they closed the launch. Those of us who live here and fish it all the time have plenty of launch spots to get out there. Pro angler use in la jolla would drop by 90%

THANK YOU.

im gonna say i got circled by 12 angry hammer makos while bleeding out my fish right at the launch. id love to fish alone
Old 09-06-2015, 01:19 PM   #5
taggermike

I've been launching my kayak to fish in LJ for at least 15 years and I can't remember ever seeing some one bleed, gut, or fillet a fish inside the reserve line, let alone out side the surf. What is the 'authority' talking about. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 03:45 PM   #6
ratdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
I've been launching my kayak to fish in LJ for at least 15 years and I can't remember ever seeing some one bleed, gut, or fillet a fish inside the reserve line, let alone out side the surf. What is the 'authority' talking about. Mike
I also many years kayak fishing here and never done it and never seen anyone do it.
ratdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:24 AM   #7
taggermike

Im not advocating chumming in the surf, but i disagree with Chris 138. Being responsible (or taking responsibilty) and finding a solution to a problem that may not even exist, isn't our fault, and we can not solve is asking for trouble. If sharks continue to be seen in the cove it could be seen that we failed. We are being scape goated already. If yakkers take responsibility for the problem and for finding a solution we are scape goating our selves. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:38 AM   #8
fishja

But are we really the problem? What about all those little snack sized fur bags swimming around? I've only been in lj for 5 years and even I can see the increase in fur bags... I was free diving the kelp on Friday and saw not one but two seals with bite marks. Distinct horseshoe shaped marks on top and bottom of seal.

On another note if you don't bleed and gut your fish right away you really aren't doing it justice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fishja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 02:13 PM   #9
fishfoo
Junior

this is a federal boat launch
it will be hard to close
if you close it to us they will have to close it to all
and only with the federal approval
fishfoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 03:29 PM   #10
MrPatrick

Laws don't matter anymore! Just write an executive order, "for the good of the people". Don't you know government knows what's best for you. We're all victims of our circumstances, we need to be cared for and protected.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 03:50 PM   #11
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Too much suck-up for something we probably have noting at all to do with will embolden bureaucrats, busybodies and politicians to make more stupid rules.

Stop pretending we are guilty and will clean up our act in advance of doing anything wrong.

What explains the presence of hammerhead migration where there are no kayaks? Probably the same thing that explains why we are catching so many other kinds of fish so close to shore.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 09-07-2015 at 03:56 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 04:18 PM   #12
iethinker

Trump!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. NiceGuy View Post
Too much suck-up for something we probably have noting at all to do with will embolden bureaucrats, busybodies and politicians to make more stupid rules.

Stop pretending we are guilty and will clean up our act in advance of doing anything wrong.

What explains the presence of hammerhead migration where there are no kayaks? Probably the same thing that explains why we are catching so many other kinds of fish so close to shore.

...yeah...tell it like Donald Trump!
iethinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 05:32 PM   #13
swinginFish

Aikido

Kevin,

Good on the lifeguards (LGs) for coming to us with "the problem."

Albeit poorly defined, i.e., "kayak fishermen's behavior attracts sharks," we should be back slapping LGs for finally noticing the increased shark activity in the area (which kayak fishermen keep bringing to their attention), and offering ourselves as the best group of folks to keep an eye on - and informing LG's about - increased shark activity in the area. What's happening now, unfortunately, is "killing the messenger," and our taking a argumentative position is only strengthening the accusations.

In my less-than-humble-opinion, there's absolutely no need to get defensive about killing/bleeding/stowing fish outside the preserve. This is what we do, period, and this is what we promote amongst ourselves. What needs to be emphasized is that a) there does seem to be more notice of sharks in the area, but then there are a heck of a lot more kayak fishermen eyes on the water these days. That said, the water's not only unusually warm, there's an absolute increase in the local seal population which, while hammerheads have been seen around for years, the increased sightings of GWs is far more concerning. What I'm suggesting here, amigos, is we spin this so that we a) become "deputy LGs" and help protect beach goers from sharks through our ability/willingness to help in early warning, and b) engage LGs in the fight against those who, through misguided sympathies, have protected seals over humans. Got the picture?

Avery
swinginFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 05:57 PM   #14
TekkaYaker
Junior

Harumph!!
TekkaYaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:27 PM   #15
GregAndrew

I am blaming it all on the MLPA. Too many fish in the reserves draws in the predators.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:32 PM   #16
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Greg, I like your thinking. If it could just be proven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
I am blaming it all on the MLPA. Too many fish in the reserves draws in the predators.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:19 PM   #17
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Is it the fault of kayakers that some of us are catching bluefin tuna, dodo's and sleigh rides off the kelp beds this summer?

Blame it on El Nino!

Whales were all around me all day long today, leaping out of the water, and making tail-slaps that sounded like canons.

Kayaks didn't create this situation.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 09-07-2015 at 08:26 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:21 PM   #18
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

You don't need to prove it, all you need is to have the media report it
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 04:05 PM   #19
roosta

Hey guys, I want to build on what Kevin has mentioned. The city of La Jolla will be forced to take action if there are more occurrences of sharks following kayakers to the launch site where people swim if the shark was deemed to have followed the kayak in to shore due to a chum or blood trail. Anything we can do to prevent this from happening is being proactive to avoid a situation arising that none of us would ever want to see. So let’s do all we can to eliminate that chance and take every step we can to prevent any ocean going predators from being drawn to the launch ramp. Sharks have an acute sense of smell, so let’s stop them from having anything to smell, especially in the area close to shore where swimmers may be. Like Kevin said, bleed your fish and get rid of any fish smell, carcass or bait well before you get close to the launch. There are several decent kill bags on the market and we should encourage people to use them, especially during this time where there are a lot of hammerheads around. We must be proactive to spread the word about this and protect where we all enjoy to fish.

Last edited by roosta; 09-09-2015 at 09:08 AM.
roosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 01:45 PM   #20
RK

Im just glad "Jack" made a cameo.........
RK is offline   Reply With Quote