Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2009, 05:39 PM   #1
NathanJ777
Junior

Waders?

Any suggestions on good waders?
NathanJ777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 06:02 PM   #2
Adam12

http://www.kokatat.com/product_detail.asp?code=ttp
Adam12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:41 PM   #3
dick fabulous

Long john wetsuits much easier for boy make pee pee. Waders cool for boy who have natural leg and foot warmers trip. Madge, you're soaking in it kind of stuff . Any tips for boy make pee pee inside waders ? Pee pee to outside of waders desirable yes.
dick fabulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:30 PM   #4
steveooo

http://www.kodiakoutback.com/detail...._campaign=cmp1

Waders with zipper. Much easier.

Still waiting for a good review on the Kokatat pants with booties. They look pretty cool. But so far, I've got no complaints about the waders with zipper. Only leaks are from the holes I put in them with my f'n sabiki. Store them with the zipper open, and I've never had the zipper leak.
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 05:42 AM   #5
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by dick fabulous View Post
Long john wetsuits much easier for boy make pee pee. Waders cool for boy who have natural leg and foot warmers trip. Madge, you're soaking in it kind of stuff . Any tips for boy make pee pee inside waders ? Pee pee to outside of waders desirable yes.

I am sure that this is why Hobie includes a "water bottle" with every kayak. I have never seen anyone drink from this bottle but it is often used for other purposes.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 05:42 AM   #6
Willy

Hodgeman waders at sports authority.
Every so often they put a 'save $25 if you spend $100' coupon in the paper.
The waders are $99, so buy a piece of gum at the register and you walk for $76 and a great pair of breathable, tough and sexy waders with a soft foot bootie. Wear sneakers and sweat pants and stay dry and love it.

Mr Fab:
Ya ought to know how to pee by now, or at least figure out a way. Not really rocket science.

Willy
Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 06:32 AM   #7
1Flatfish
Wayne

make pee pee

I use the Hodgman zipper front waders and the Hobie make-water bottle method. I wish they'd make the opening bigger.
1Flatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 06:59 AM   #8
stuppid
Junior

Kokotat paddling suit with front zipper into drive hole on Hobie Revo works great.
stuppid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:11 AM   #9
hatchetman

Gatoraid bottle, holds plenty, tight seal, disposable.

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson
hatchetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:09 AM   #10
MVC

I use Hodgeman zipper front waders and cheap water shoes from Target. Very dry and compfortable.
MVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:45 AM   #11
Billy V

I have the hogman waderlite stocking foot. They are comfortable, but probably not the most durable.

For $99, or less they are a good deal.

I wear a pair of dive boots over the stocking foot so you can walk from the car and back without wearing out the soles.

relieving yourself means you have to lower the bib, or sling that big fella over your shoulder. Which ever is best for you.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:43 AM   #12
-scallywag-
Banned

i usually wait till the sporties are close by....then just stand up with my waders around my ankles and let loose a very liberating experience!

i have a couple sets of the Hodgeman wadelites..they're ok but after 20-30hrs of peddling around mine always get fatigued in the crotch area and start to leak...i wish i woulda just bit the bullets and spent my 300buck at NRS (NRSweb.com) a couple of my friends love the stuff...and every winter im in envy!
For jackets i've found these military issue extreme weather jacket shells that are gor-tex work excellent, you can get them on ebay for like 30-40bucks they are thin, light, fold up small, and comfortable. Gore-tex is the poop!!! although if i had the ducketts i would be sporting NRS gear!! (i think their higher end gear is also made of gore-tex)

Wetsuits suck...i have a good surf break in my backyard and surf almost every morning so i have a few new suits at all times...they are no fun on a kayak...too hot or too cold if the wind is up and swampy inside if u fish all day...and takin a pee is a pain if u dont want to sit in ur own puddle all day! That said i will wear them if im launching/landing in high surf...but those days im usually packing light and only out for a couple hrs
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:55 AM   #13
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanJ777 View Post
Any suggestions on good waders?
I use wadelites as well. Mine have held up great but I don't Hobie. I'm still on my first pair.

I prefer the waist high pants not the bib version.

They look less gay with fish next to them.

Here's the deal I bought a pair that is one size too large so I'd have a lot of room and it would let me pull the waist up high to get a good seal under my drytop. When I launch or land I tighten the belt tight and snug up the drytop to make sure I have a good seal and I have had no problems taking on water launching and landing.

My next pair I'll probably just get the right size since I have had no issues, and the waist is very high.

I wear Warner dive boots over mine two sizes too large..

I recomend boots that have a little support and a good sole otherwise you feel like your walking around in huge oversized marshmallow socks.

With the waist waders when you got to take a leak you just pull them down like regular paddle pants.

I find the problem with chest waders is not getting them down but getting the suspenders back in place afterwords especially if your wearing a dry top. I want to spend my time fishing, not playing with my clothes so the waist waders have been a good solution. With the waist highs there's no suspenders, so no problem.

One issue though. If you go with waders always wear a PFD and drytop especially when your launching and landing. My waist waders have a build in wade belt but if you get chest waders consider getting a wade belt as well. Waders are great but used wrong the can get you in trouble, safety comes first.

I have three pairs of waders. Hogdman chest high Neoprenes for hooping, Breathable zippered chest high TAC's for really cold weather, and the waist highs but I use the waist highs 90% of the time. If I had to choose one that's what I would go with.

Not cheap though...

Good luck!!

Jim

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 11-03-2009 at 12:07 PM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:28 PM   #14
j mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Day View Post
They look less gay with fish next to them.

Jim
Nice one! Indeed, they do not look gay with a homeguard resting upon them
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 03:14 PM   #15
IntrntFshrman

25$ off through tonight

I just ordered mine the other night through here:

http://www.sportsauthority.com/famil...62550&view=all

$25 off through tonight, hurry!
IntrntFshrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 04:22 PM   #16
FISHIONADO

Don't buy waders until you know that our fishing spots will stay open.
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote