Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2014, 09:36 PM   #1
Maxfli123

Orcas

With orcas now cruzing through my turf(spotted last month in oceanside) just want to know what you guys think about an encounter with a pod of them on the yak...I would be definitely need a new pair of shorts if I ran into them, but my real question is what should you do if you happened to encounter them while pedaling/paddling out to the Zone. My first thought was just play it cool and see what happens keeping my vhf close by to call for help if needed or should call for help right away? Never experienced an orca pod...hoping someone can chime in with first hand experience or knowledge of orca that could lend some good advice. I think sharks are now the least of my worry...
Maxfli123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 09:42 PM   #2
octico

I think you are alright as long as you don't work at Sea World

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killer_...acks_on_humans

Last edited by octico; 12-06-2014 at 09:42 PM. Reason: coherence
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 10:29 PM   #3
easyday

I don't think there has ever been an attack on a human by an orca in the wild. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 12-07-2014, 05:53 AM   #4
YakDout
Brandon

If sharks are the least of your worry, maybe you should read this

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ht=Great+white

That was not the only shark attack that week in that area. They believe it was the same shark in multiple attacks that week.

The guy in that story has major cajones and has already been back out fishing since the incident. But it is so uncommon that I would not worry about sharks nor orcas, nor anything for that matter. There is nothing you can do to prepare yourself for something like this except for maybe the radio. The ocean is vast, and there are dangers, but is that going to stop you from fishing?
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 06:46 AM   #5
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

Personally, I would be concerned with either one around me. Both have their dangers.

Sharks are more instinctual killers that might attack because they think I'm a meal.
However, Orcas are far more-intelligent animals and will sometimes just mess with you for fun. They won't think you're food, but Orcas are known to kill whales/sharks for fun.

Orcas get waaay bigger than most sharks in the neighborhood, and when you see one, you know there are more around.

I go by "Land Rules". Just like people on land, most are nice and friendly, but if you run into a 25-foot 10-ton bully who just wants to mess with you, your day can go bad very quickly and there won't be much that you can do about it.

Either way, I would probably have my VHF in-hand if they were consistently within 50 yards of me... and if I see a pod I would at least broadcast an "FYI", if only to let the Orca fans know there's a pod in the area.
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 07:13 AM   #6
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Talking you will be fine....

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 07:53 AM   #7
GregAndrew

I don't think there is anything you can do to prepare for an Orca incident. Short of being prepared for anything, and knowing how to get back on your kayak. While a VHF is always a good idea, it is not likely to help in an Orca attack unless it only sinks your kayak. I am pretty sure that the only recorded incidents have been with captive Orcas too. They are very intelligent animals and are very selective about what they eat. Personally I would love to see them, if only for their shark deterrant effect
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 08:03 AM   #8
easyday

And start the go pro..
Old 12-07-2014, 09:34 AM   #9
Jimmyz123

Orcas are larger versions of Dolphins and are the smartest creatures in the ocean. They will know that you are not food, but do your best to keep your distance. Obviously if they pop up close to you, stay as clam. Video and photo what you see if you can, but I wouldn't chase them down, if they feel threatened in any way they could become aggressive.

I was off mission beach once in my kayak when a massive pod of dolphin swam through the area I was paddling in. They were amazing to watch but really, I wasn't even a concern to them, the food they were heading for was.

There have not been any attacks on humans by any Orca in the wild. Easyday was correct.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:35 AM   #10
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyday View Post
I don't think there has ever been an attack on a human by an orca in the wild. Correct me if I'm wrong.
You are correct.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Old 12-07-2014, 09:37 AM   #11
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
I don't think there is anything you can do to prepare for an Orca incident. Short of being prepared for anything, and knowing how to get back on your kayak. While a VHF is always a good idea, it is not likely to help in an Orca attack unless it only sinks your kayak. I am pretty sure that the only recorded incidents have been with captive Orcas too. They are very intelligent animals and are very selective about what they eat. Personally I would love to see them, if only for their shark deterrant effect
Like you Greg, I hope I'm able to paddle in or near some Orca some day. I've seen Grey whales 10 feet behind my kayak and diving under me, and 150 pound BSB checking me out on my Kayak, I would love to have an orca swim by.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Old 12-07-2014, 11:03 AM   #12
Cbad Mike

When you see the Orcas just paddle as fast as you can and approach them from the front so not to surprise them. It helps to hold a big dead Bonito in your hand as a kind gesture. they LOVE being scratched and patted on their nose and if they open their mouth that means they like you. Make sure your sitting sideways with your feet in the water because not always, but sometimes, they like it when you stand on their nose while they push you around so you want to be ready. My friends cousins best friends brother in law does this all the time.
Have fun!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-12-07 11.48.51.jpg (76.3 KB, 137 views)
Old 12-07-2014, 04:30 PM   #13
Maxfli123

Thank you all for the replies...I guess I'm back to seeing sharks as the biggest worry. I think a pod of orcas cruising by would be awesome but when you are solo it makes it a little unnerving. My dad who was an avid fisherman back in his day recalled false killer whales trying to bump his boat around when they ventured south so that got me thinking if they can easily push a boa r around....hate to see what thy can do to a yak. I hate to say this but I'll keep fishing regardless of what threats are out there, fishing is my therapy and keeps me sane...well I just got a go pro, maybe I'll get some nice footage riding on the nose of an orca, thanks Cbad mike for the idea

Last edited by Maxfli123; 12-07-2014 at 05:23 PM.
Old 12-07-2014, 04:40 PM   #14
CKallday71

I Remember my fish finder going all whacky and thinking it was on the fritz. Thirty seconds later a whale surfaced close enough to my yak that when he took a breath I got the whale sneeze on me.
Old 12-07-2014, 05:00 PM   #15
taggermike

What should you do if you encounter orcas while on your kayak? Seriously? Be thankful that you got to see some thing that so few get to see. Let your respect for the ocean and her inhabitants grow. Feel humble, incredibly lucky, and amazed that you could see one of earth's greatest predators so close to your home. And maybe get the go pro going.

North west natives have been around ocras for over a thousand years and their legends, myths, and real world experience don't record attacks on humans.

Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 05:20 PM   #16
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by CKallday71 View Post
I Remember my fish finder going all whacky and thinking it was on the fritz. Thirty seconds later a whale surfaced close enough to my yak that when he took a breath I got the whale sneeze on me.
He was just blessing YOU!

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 05:26 PM   #17
Maxfli123

Your right mike...guess I didn't think about all the native artic people in small craft that have been in the water with them for generations. Well I just hope if they come back they can bless me with their presence...thanks again bwe!
Old 12-07-2014, 07:47 PM   #18
skrilla

Having orcas around is about the only time I will accept a sea lion munching on my yellow.