Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2016, 03:36 AM   #1
Murray

Landing a Hobie Pedal Kayak

OK hobie mirage drive anglers who have perfected the art of landing your yak. What technique do you prefer when landing. Landings always seem the most difficult and exciting part of the trip depending on the final result. Bummer to lose gear when things do not go so well so let's hear your thoughts on landing techniques. Want to keep this discussion for pedal drive fishing yaks only since their design does not lend itself to "surfing" the landing and the fact that they offer 2 different methods of propulsion during landings. Hopefully, this discussion will help build confidence and save some $ in lost gear.

1. Surf it in under mirage drive power.
2. Surf it in under paddle power(drive and rudder up) .
3. Surf it in using both pedal and paddle.
4. Back it it with rudder and drive up using paddle only.
5. ???????????

* Timing sets and securing gear is a given. Mirage drive yaks getting sideways to the white water/wave also seems to be the norm.
Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 04:44 AM   #2
sparky
Junior

Surf landing

Thank you for starting this thread, this also is the only part I hate about every trip(only been out twice just got a brand new 14' PA). My biggest concern is the chair, rails, and bait tank when landing, I don't see it ending up good rolling in the surf. I got luck my first time out and came in to 1' waves that was fun, but the second time I ended up jumping of the yak in 8' of water and surfed in holding on to the back not fun and embracing.
sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 06:06 AM   #3
bolocop

Like Mickey told Rocky, Speed, more Speed!

I'm an advocate of leaving the drive in and pedaling as fast as you can through the kill zone. When you get to waist high water, jump out, lock drive in place(or take it out), and pull up the rudder. I do the opposite when launching.

I just can't see making it through the kill zone while paddling a Hobie with anything wider than a Revo when the waves are 3-5, especially a Pro Angler. Takes a lot of effort to get to speed.
bolocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 06:21 AM   #4
tunaseeker
TB Metal Art

Agree with that! Speed and jump out. You cant paddle a Hobie Outback or PA very well. Use the peddles! Time the sets. Haul a$$. Jump. I've rolled my share but that is when I tried to coast in. One footers will flip you. Since I have started jumping out at about 3-4" no problem.....

Good luck!
tunaseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 06:49 AM   #5
FARRIER

I lock my drive and rudder up, then paddle in. Your rudder will not stand up to a wave pushing you. The advantage of having your paddle out is huge. Being able to lean into the white wash should you end up sideways is important.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:41 AM   #6
cesar74

I like using peddle power myself. I keep my rudder up & use my paddle for power & to guide my kayak. After jumping off I remove my drive. I do the same thing for both launching & landing (peddle power).
cesar74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:47 AM   #7
octico

Pedal fast and jump out. I have learned its better to be wet than to roll the yak. I made the mistake of jumping out too soon one time and ended up neck high water
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:49 AM   #8
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by octico View Post
Pedal fast and jump out. I have learned its better to be wet than to roll the yak. I made the mistake of jumping out too soon one time and ended up neck high water
Where was I at? I would have loved to see that one!!!
Old 03-27-2016, 10:15 AM   #9
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by octico View Post

Oh yes, this has happened to me once before also. High tide and deep pockets in the sand suck!
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:18 AM   #10
CKallday71

I pull my drive up and toss it in the front hatch on my Outback then paddle my fat ass as hard as I can.
Old 03-27-2016, 11:04 AM   #11
Geno Machino
"Relax"

I'm far from an expert, however after talking to some of the more experienced yakers here on BWE, I peddle to just outside the break line, clip my drive into the upright position, pull up my rudder, look back and try and time the sets. Start paddling as hard and fast as I can. If I get lucky, I cruse all the way to ankle deep water, if not I sometimes have to jump off and ride the yak in from the back. The main thing I try to do is stay perpendicular to the beach.

And when launching, I have found what works for me is I just paddle as hard and as fast as I can until I am outside. Staying perpendicular is my main objective also, when launching. Trying to peddle or dropping my rudder, I usually get sideways and I have to paddle anyways to get straight again or flip.

I think the more experience guys on here could chime in and give us there tried and proven techniques...

Geno
Old 03-27-2016, 12:34 PM   #12
YakDout
Brandon

I use my drive and rudder for launch and land. Worked for me so far, have yet to roll in a surf zone. For launch, get out to about 2.5-3 feet of water, drop the drive and rudder, hop on and cruise right through the waves, no issues. EXCEPT sometimes recently I noticed that my oversized rudder would hang up on the bungee cleat. Almost caused me to roll a couple times because I couldnt steer. Fixed that with my dremel the other day.

For landing, I dont take the paddle out either. Time the sets, and charge it right behind the last wave in a set if there are any. Bail in about 2.5-3feet of water to pull my drive out and rudder up. Done deal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 01:01 PM   #13
Murray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geno Machino View Post
I'm far from an expert, however after talking to some of the more experienced yakers here on BWE, I peddle to just outside the break line, clip my drive into the upright position, pull up my rudder, look back and try and time the sets. Start paddling as hard and fast as I can. If I get lucky, I cruse all the way to ankle deep water, if not I sometimes have to jump off and ride the yak in from the back. The main thing I try to do is stay perpendicular to the beach.

And when launching, I have found what works for me is I just paddle as hard and as fast as I can until I am outside. Staying perpendicular is my main objective also, when launching. Trying to peddle or dropping my rudder, I usually get sideways and I have to paddle anyways to get straight again or flip.

I think the more experience guys on here could chime in and give us there tried and proven techniques...

Geno
Thanks for the input. Would like to hear from the pros also regarding keeping perpendicular to the beach. My outback gets sideways instantly so I lean into the white water rather than fighting to keep in perpendicular. Basically, let the ocean's power take over and slide sideways to the beach.
Old 03-27-2016, 02:04 PM   #14
steveooo

My favorite method

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=16695

I keep peddles in, rudder down but not locked, and paddle in hand. Time the set so you follow a wave in, and peddle like heck to keep the wave behind from catching up. Your rudder doesn't work in the whitewash, but I use it up until it does't work and then steer & brace using the paddle after that. Most of the time I end up dropping my legs over the side for some stability in the skinny water. I use the peddles until its too shallow to use them, and then step out.

steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 02:08 PM   #15
jruiz
Large Member

Most of these pedal in techniques work to get you out of through the kill zone as fast as possible. What u need to prepare for is when the sets are so big and close together that you'll inevitably get caught, having no paddle in hand is not the thing to do and your rudder is pretty much useless at that point. Whether you paddle or pedal in you definitely need your paddle in hand so you can brace yourself as the wave takes you sideways.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 02:10 PM   #16
2-Stix

It all depends where you are. At LJ I used the drive when its small once and the paddle when its bigger. In major surf and shore break in Malibu, Ventura and Santa Barbara I use the paddle only and time sets and haul ass. Big surf and close sets, deep water fast. There is no time to get deep enough, hop in, get straight and go. Its a 20-30 second time line from sand to past the breakers sprint. Nights I do the same. Everything is in dry bags below the hatches. Rods on leashes strapped to the side with reel covers. I landed one time at Leo with the drive down because the waves were 5' and the tide was high. I ran the risk of drive damage. My drive was loaded with sand. Never did that again.

There are some variables but 90% of the time I go drive out and strapped to the front hatch with lashes and use my paddle and sprint in and sprint out. The other 10% the waves are flat and I wade out to thigh deep water and use my drive. It also depends on the water and air temp and time of year. Do I want to get wet and freeze by being deep and use my drive or get shin deep and peddle. Lots of variables as I said. I have yet to roll. It will happen in time. Typical waves are 2-3', high 50's-low 60's water temp and gray light launches with strong beach rip tides. I run a Hobie Outback. They don't paddle straight, but the harder you paddle them the more they straighten out. I have had good luck.

Last edited by 2-Stix; 03-27-2016 at 02:24 PM.
2-Stix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 03:09 PM   #17
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Go out with an empty kayak in waves that are just beyond your ability and knock around to learn techniques that are most comfortable to you.

If you are in San Diego, try going to the mouth of the river at Dog Beach in OB. That's a good place to practice in a variety of waves. Wave height there is generally higher than at La Jolla Shores. Go out into the breakers and hold in position facing outward for several sets. Then turn your bow toward shore and hold the same position through several sets with waves coming from behind you. You will probably quickly begin to learn the physics of what's happening. As your confidence builds, then turn sideways and let the waves broadside you. You will then understand about leaning into the wave or away from the wave. Learn how to dig in your paddle sharp and fast to try to stop surfing from developing or to keep yourself perpendicular to the waves as they crash into you. Learn how to skim your paddle on the surface for balance and steering when a wave catches you. Learn when to dig in, and how much.

I avoid surfing in. Surfing a wave is fun when it starts, but too much momentum quickly develops and then becomes uncontrollable. My Outback was not designed for surfing. At the end of a surf run, it tends to turn sideways into a roll if it doesn't crash harder first.

Dig in your paddle and paddle backwards to kill surfing before it starts. Stay in control as much as possible.

If you get parallel to a wave and are going to get clobbered, lean into the wave. The kayak will lift up and the water will pass under you. If you let the kayak lean away from the wave, you will lose control and roll.

Before you go home, go out in the river mouth where it's calm and practice re-boarding your upright kayak in water over your head. Then practice turning your kayak right side up from a capsized position ... in water over your head, wearing your PFD.

When your kayak is full of water sloshing around, you might think about the benefit of having a hand pump.

That's a short list of some things to think about. If you go knock around and challenge yourself on a nice day in an empty kayak it will make more sense than learning the hard way when you are full of gear. It's better to know your limits in advance, then practice raising your limits in a methodical way.

Have fun!

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 03-28-2016 at 09:43 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 03:25 PM   #18
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Here's another idea:

She's a busy lady, but if you can gather a couple of buddies who want to learn with you, see if you can book a lesson with Jen Kleck of Aqua Adventures in Mission Bay. She's one of the best. Google her name and you'll see what I mean.

When I was thinking things through in advance and preparing myself for safe ocean fishing, the time and money I spent with her was time and money well spent.

Now that I've been practicing in La Jolla for a year, it might behoove me to go back to Jen again for "Knocking Around, Part 2"

As an instructor, she is outstanding.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 03-28-2016 at 03:36 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 04:41 PM   #19
Hye
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geno Machino View Post

Geno
I agree to this. Just to add a few things. When beaching wait for the last wave in the set and paddle hard as soon as it's passing you. This will help pick up momentum. Also while beaching always keep looking for a wave that might sneak up on you. If you see something developing that you can paddle in reverse and get back over it before it crests, do it. If you are sure you won't make it in time before it crests paddle hard forward in hopes the wave loses energy after it crashes and before it catches up to you. In my experiences beaching is harder than launching. Also, jumping out of kayak in waist high water is hard to run in. Getting hit by a wave after jumping out in water to deep sucks.
I have spent days with no gear on my outback. Just me, a wet suit, life jacket and paddle and hung out in the "kill zone". This I believe is very important in understanding what your kayak can do. I put myself in worst possible situations to see if I could ever recove from that. Found out you really can't recover from a 5' wave when it swallows you. Lol. But I also saw it didn't hurt as long as I was aware of kayak position and protected my head. Playing in the surf without gear has gave me great confidence. A few good surf launch and beaching vids on YouTube. One off the top of my head is "kayak fishing tales".

I have my drive leashed and removed before beaching and launching. Don't want to damage on rocks. 🍻
Hye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 05:48 PM   #20
Murray

Great info guys. Practicing and building confidence makes a lot of sense. Thanks for all the great suggestions. Will test them all asap. Now if the water will just get past 60 degrees. Ha!