Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2011, 08:18 AM   #1
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Lake Hodges?

I drove by Lake Hodges the other day and saw what looked like a feeding frenzy going on by the dam. The birds were working from the sky while the water was white and frothy from what appeared to be fish feeding from below. I have seen this many times in the ocean but never in a lake. I guess that means that there must be some fish in this lake.

Does anyone have recent experience fishing Lake Hodges in a kayak? I have never done it but am considering giving it a try soon. Anyone else interested?

I called city lakes and was told that Hodges is open on Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday. It costs $2 to launch a kayak and $8 for a fishing permit.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 10:54 AM   #2
deepdvr

Hodges is a very solid bass fishery. You witnessed a shad boil.

I yaked it a couple of times last season. No great numbers but solid fish.

Here's a healthy 2.5 lb Hodges bass from last spring.

The crappie are also super easy to target this time of year. I've had limits in the past. Crappie aren't nearly as tasty as WSB/YT but for a freshwater fish as good as it gets.
deepdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:13 AM   #3
Riskey Water

I've caught bass up to 12 lbs ,a crappie that weighed in at just over 2 lbs and a turtle . I throw crocodile spoons through the boil .It's a fun lake ,good luck .
Riskey Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 01:33 PM   #4
yellowtailslayer
Junior

ive gone there 4 times and each time was good, first time i got a few crappie, next time i got limits. then i started targeting the bass, got tired of that and went back to the crappie. they are really fun on trout gear, let me no when you are thinking of going, i may just join you. if your interested in the tasty panfish i can pm you with what i have found to work really well.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:43 PM   #5
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
I drove by Lake Hodges the other day and saw what looked like a feeding frenzy going on by the dam. The birds were working from the sky while the water was white and frothy from what appeared to be fish feeding from below. I have seen this many times in the ocean but never in a lake. I guess that means that there must be some fish in this lake.

Does anyone have recent experience fishing Lake Hodges in a kayak? I have never done it but am considering giving it a try soon. Anyone else interested?

I called city lakes and was told that Hodges is open on Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday. It costs $2 to launch a kayak and $8 for a fishing permit.

Bob
I love to watch LMB roll on the shad. One time at Otay I watched a roll going on for almost 3 hours. The best part is, the bass that are rolling are usually big. I landed my first 5# LMB that day. Then the next week it was on again. 2 5#ers that day.

Hodges use to be one of the Best Bass lakes in San Diego. It's coming back up, but I don't think it will ever get back to the level it once was.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote