Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2022, 10:03 AM   #1
Roc
Junior

Fish finder size?

Hey guys, cabellas/bass pro is having a sale on fish finders and I'm looking to upgrade from my cheesy 4" to something bigger ( I get sea sic when I look at the small screen too long) Looking at the garmin 7" vs 9", I really want the 9" but worried it'll be too big and get in the way when the bite is on. Any one have any issues or recommendations? Pointers installing would be appreciated also. I'm on a PA12 360
Thanks in advance guys!
Roc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 08:09 PM   #2
TJones

Judge me by my size?

Size is not relevant. Try taking some meds. . It is great having a 10,000$ unit that can do everything, but sometimes keeping it simple on a kayak is best. Your issue is more than likely sea sickness. Go with Elite 7. HDS live is better, but has too many unnecessary features for a kayak. Deals are great right now for a good reason. A new product is probably gonna be introduced in summer. If your itching to burn some money, then grab HDS. I have like new transducer if you need one. Grabbing head unit is dirt cheap right now. 3 in 1 transducer. Probably with warranty.

Last edited by TJones; 03-22-2022 at 08:18 PM.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 03:36 PM   #3
JohnMckroidJr

For a rail mount, a nine-inch screen with a sunshade can get in the way on smaller kayaks. Should be OK on a PA with a swivel arm mount that swings outboard if necessary. When I had a 9 inch Garmin, If the software allowed, I would have preferred to mount it with the shorter ends horizontal to increase elbow room.

Which type of fishing do you plan to do the most of? FW Bass anglers really like live scope viewing. If your doing saltwater, Buying a warranty is a good investment. I like West Marine's as there is no shipping or haggling on the phone. Just bring the unit to the store, and walk out with a new one. Good luck with your choice.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote