Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 02-10-2022, 11:01 AM   #1
FISH11

La Jolla 2-9-2022 on the Solo Skiff (they are getting closer)

Went out yesterday (Wednesday) looking for Yellowtail and wanted to check a few areas I had not covered the last couple times. Bait was still hard to make or find sometimes. I did manage a few Spanish and Greenbacks and trolled the Nomad. No foamers and very little bird action, but did again see good marks on the FF and had my biggest Greenback crushed yet no visible marks or cuts. That's always been a good sign of Yellowtail in the area. As fisherman usually say " there's always next trip".
Old 02-10-2022, 11:50 AM   #2
JohnMckroidJr

Beautiful weather - good to see you out there again. That Solo sure covers the area fast compared to a kayak. Your video scenery is great, but having a hard time hearing your speech. It got loud briefly(wonder what you were doing differently?) Are you allowed to fish for bait at the pier? That uw Cal Wave Bouy could ruin a big boat day. Wonder what the fish that streaked away was in the UW footage. and all those bubbles made me think you cross paths with a diver? LaJolla had such a small break, but looked good sized up the coast? Look fwd to the next one -- thx.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 01:01 PM   #3
FISH11

Thanks John. Some times I took the camera mount and was holding the mast in front, so that would make it easier to hear me over the background noise. The bubbles UW at the CAL WAVE buoy was a sealion pup that was playing around. He swam by so fast, only the bubbles were visible. I keep meaning to try and use the Mod Microphone attachment, but while fishing and relaxing, thinking of all the things to do to improve the quality of the video, just get in the way. If I was trying to grow the channel, it would start to seem like a job. I do have to remember to shut off the outboard more often when not moving. The sun glare was a real issue because it was early and I will have to hold something above the camera, when the sun is low. It made it almost impossible to see the surfers waiting for a wave at Black's Beach. It's hard to get too close because some wave form bigger earlier and I was already in like 17' of water. It was cool to wave at the surfers and some waving back as I cruised by. That area has some of the larger surf and it's remoteness, make Black's Beach a popular surfing beach.
Old 02-10-2022, 06:58 PM   #4
FISH11

Thumbs up

So I googled the name on the submerged buoy abd found it is from a company called Cal Wave and they are running a pilot program studying producing power from wave energy. Cool , it like a turbine in dams using water force to generate power. Great to see new technology being invented locally.
Old 02-11-2022, 01:41 PM   #5
kayakfisherman

Thanks for the report Mark!!! Love the freaking thumbnail!!!
kayakfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 07:39 PM   #6
FISH11

Thanks Yanni, I also liked that shot, so I pulled a still from the video and tried to crop out a little of the sun glare. Today was a beautiful day at LJ, but no Yellowtail action. Can't wait for March 1 and rock fish season, cause I'm tired of having to descend and not keep whitefish and rock fish I keep catching while using the sabiki trying to get macs for bait. Hope to see you out at LJ soon.
Old 02-12-2022, 07:50 AM   #7
TJones

Fish Report

Good to see some action on the board and hear from familiar faces. Hope all are well and staying safe. Caught a few halibut last week. One released at 20" and another harvested at 25.5". Its good to be on the board so early in the season. . First hali in probably 5 plus years. Nowheres near my personal best, but hoping to change that this year. Tight lines everyone. Looking forward to more skiff videos. Thanks for sharing.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote