Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 05-12-2010, 07:20 PM   #1
yellowtailslayer
Junior

dont know what to do

ok guys, i no u all have awesome rigs, big, spacious and lots of extras. i fish a lot in the bay and even more in the open ocean. i want to get out and fish la jolla in my yak, only thing is...i have a mini-x. idk if this would be to small for out there . i no i hvae the power to paddle there and back and i have the saftey equipment, just not sure about the yak. comments and concerns apreciated. thanks.
yellowtailslayer
Old 05-12-2010, 07:28 PM   #2
TCS

There are guys out there on small craft like that. I think you'd be fine if its glassy. If its choppy it'll be like a roller coaster on that thing. Take a look at the wind forecast before you go. Big surf could be tricky too, but mainly on the way out. I would think that's an easy boat to surf.

Wind
http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwher...orecast+Graphs

Waves, click on the wave height graph to see swell period and direction
http://www.surfermag.com/surf-report...egionID=8&rt=S. CA (San Diego)

If you get in trouble I'm sure one of the hobie drivers would pull you in for a nominal fee!
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:55 PM   #3
yellowtailslayer
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCS View Post
There are guys out there on small craft like that. I think you'd be fine if its glassy. If its choppy it'll be like a roller coaster on that thing. Take a look at the wind forecast before you go. Big surf could be tricky too, but mainly on the way out. I would think that's an easy boat to surf.

If you get in trouble I'm sure one of the hobie drivers would pull you in for a nominal fee!

hahaha thanks, ya ive been out a couple times efore and ive launched through 4' surf so i guessn ill be fine. thanks for those sites.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:11 PM   #4
467echo
Rookie of the Month Club

You should be fine. All of the kayak vendors for the tourists have them. I see people fishing on them regularly. Good luck!
Old 05-12-2010, 08:27 PM   #5
Rob929

Mini's are a pretty stable platform imo.. That's what I take friends out on to LJ when they are in town.. never had any probs. Not the fastest paddling boat, but solid. Only one way to find out how you like it...
Rob929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:59 AM   #6
lterrero
Leo

Smile

I have been fishing out of a Hobie sport for more than 3 years in all conditions & catched a lot of fish, that 's only a 9 footer, just make sure all your gear is tied down just in case, and if it is choppy you go on top of it not under.
lterrero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:13 AM   #7
dfroggy54
Rolly

You should be fine...Find a Guy name Leo. He fishes that greay mini x all the time. He catches threshers and yellows which IMO is amazing. Definetly look at the wave and wind forecast though.
dfroggy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 04:02 PM   #8
baitcasterboy20

just be careful and you'll be fine
baitcasterboy20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 04:56 PM   #9
jimbo

mini x

i've fished lj several times on a mini x. it's on the slower side and doesn't track as well as longer yaks, so you'll get more of a workout. otherwise, no problem. no problem thru surf. no problem in chop or any other seas. no problem getting towed by big fish. that yak is VERY stable and easy to fish. just watch for current and wind. if they both start rippin in same direction, you could have a long slow paddle.