Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 05-17-2022, 05:34 PM   #1
FISH11

La Jolla 5-14-2022

Went out in the best weather window of last week, searched for those surface Yellowtail and bird action. I was surprised that the red tide, that the week before was almost gone, was now really thick and covered much more then two weeks ago. The were a number of kayaks and boats, after all, it was Saturday. Almost everyone was inside with the heavy red tide, because there was bait and bird life. I did not see many great marks on the FF, so I decided to go out deeper and find some cleaner water. I found it, but the fishing was not any better. The fish just weren't hungry. I had a couple hits on the bait, that I believe were Calicos, but not hungry enough. Even dropping or casting several jigs in areas with good marks, did not produce. Glad it was a nice weather day, but the fishing is just frustrating. Can't beat a nice day on the water and enjoying nature. Thanks for watching. Tight Lines!

Old 05-17-2022, 06:20 PM   #2
Nobody

I was out there on a skiff, thought I saw you.

We ran into a thick red tide closer to the bank (calico bite was off the hook under it) but it cleared up into a nicer green edge as you mentioned towards the 10. Caught some nice 4lb reds towards the 32 since it was such a nice calm day. Had 3 good shots casting at tons of yellows (saw a school of about 30 all in the 25-40+lb range) both boiling on bait schools and working with the porpoise from about 12pm-3pm and then the bite shut off. Lost about a 20-25lb hali at the boat on a 6" spanish mack dropper loop.
Nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 07:20 PM   #3
FISH11

Thumbs up

Great to hear from someone else that was there. I saw areas in the red, like you said that had a lot off marks on the FF, that I though where Calicos. I didn't spend much time after throwing a couple jigs and not getting any hits. I decided to cruise a little looking for that cleaner water and those Yellows. I have been unlucky , not to find then more often, In the last couple months I have seen them, but either they were too far away, or they disappeared too fast to get a good shot. It's like I've been saying for a few years now. It's become, not so much, about the bait, where or when, "It's you were in the right place at the right time!". Thanks for the response. Tight Lines, see you out there.
Old 05-17-2022, 09:51 PM   #4
JohnMckroidJr

Another La Jolla outing enjoyed vicariously from the East Coast. Thanks Mark.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 05:49 AM   #5
FISH11

Thanks John, I only wish I could be sharing some fish photos. Hard to match the numbers or quality of fish, as compared to the fishery you get to enjoy in your back yard.
Old 05-20-2022, 05:01 AM   #6
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
Thanks John, I only wish I could be sharing some fish photos. Hard to match the numbers or quality of fish, as compared to the fishery you get to enjoy in your back yard.
Your fish photos are coming Mark. Florida is tough to beat when it comes to fishing opportunities, but California has many other virtues to offset any imbalance.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 05:37 PM   #7
h2ofishfo

Was out yesterday mark . There was really good signs . Had to call it early around 10 am due to wind . It’s gonna pick up soon
Old 05-21-2022, 08:19 PM   #8
FISH11

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info Gabe. It so happens I was checking the LJ Shores Hotel web cam yesterday morning and I see someone walking back to get their car carrying a dry bag and when they returned to the beach, I recognized your truck. Funny, I saw you and before I saw your truck, I figures you were coming back early because the wind had to be bad, especially on the outside. Planning on Monday and all week looks like low surf and lower wind till around noon (that's pretty normal). See you out there. They had some Yellows caught and some lost on the New Seaforth yesterday. Tight Lines!
Old 05-22-2022, 11:32 AM   #9
h2ofishfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
Thanks for the info Gabe. It so happens I was checking the LJ Shores Hotel web cam yesterday morning and I see someone walking back to get their car carrying a dry bag and when they returned to the beach, I recognized your truck. Funny, I saw you and before I saw your truck, I figures you were coming back early because the wind had to be bad, especially on the outside. Planning on Monday and all week looks like low surf and lower wind till around noon (that's pretty normal). See you out there. They had some Yellows caught and some lost on the New Seaforth yesterday. Tight Lines!
Yep new seathforth was working out deep when I was there . Big slugs have been hitting there deck . I have a feeling the biggest models are rolling in close on the afternoon bite on the tide change
Old 05-22-2022, 04:01 PM   #10
FISH11

Thumbs up

Got it. I saw they were the big model, not the usual day boat smallies around 8-10lbs.