Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 05-20-2021, 06:05 PM   #1
JohnMckroidJr

What are your biggest concerns while fishing offshore?

Capsizing?
Manowar's?
Eels?
Sting Rays?
Sharks?
Whales?
Seals?
Hypothermia?
Weather?
Bigger Boaters?
Piracy?

Telling about it will help others avoid the same. Share concerns or experiences on this thread.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 06:28 PM   #2
shawny

Could be all along the same lines but for me it's:

Unexpected bad weather -> Capsizing/catastrophic kayak failure -> Panicking and forgetting all the important safety protocol -> Hypothermia -> Shark attack

I went out to LJ this past Sunday morning and at least from my perspective, conditions were pretty rough. It's been a long awhile since I've gone out and I must've done 5+ hull checks to make sure water wasn't leaking in. Also I wore my 3/2mm wetsuit underneath all my clothes (that's my fear of hypothermia showing) - I regretted it halfway through when the sun came out through clouds, but retracted my regret once the rain and wind picked up...

I'm definitely on the more paranoid side when it comes to kayak fishing preparedness but better safe the sorry right?
Old 05-20-2021, 06:48 PM   #3
FISH11

Talking

My biggest fear when I go to La Jolla weekly is that it's going to be one of those days were the forecast said the surf height and wind was my desired top limit of surf 3' and wind no more than 11 mph or less and it turns into much higher wind while out and the surface gets really snotty. It just ruins the water conditions and it's no fun being out even drifting. Otherwise my only other fear is running out of beer.
Old 05-20-2021, 06:55 PM   #4
tak100
Recruit

The most persistent worry is wakes from larger boats.

The largest would be not being able to fight the wind/waves/weather to get back home.

The scariest day on the water I ever had was when a fog rolled in late morning. I could hear boats all around me and couldn't see any of them. Quite the pucker factor.
tak100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 07:30 PM   #5
YakDout
Brandon

What are your biggest concerns while fishing offshore?

Incorrect weather forecast. But I wouldn’t go offshore on a yak if it was bad from the get go. I have been caught off shore a few times when bad weather came out of no where.

One most notable was when I was about 3-4 miles out of Oceanside one summer and a freak tropical storm came in and I was surrounded by lightning and pouring rain. It was the same day about 6-7 people got struck by lightning on Venice beach.

A quick google search says that was July 27 2014.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 08:12 PM   #6
jruiz
Large Member

Having to pinch a loaf on the water and the aftermath of having mud butt for the rest of the day. Just typing about it gave me goosebumps
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 08:13 PM   #7
grey zone

Santa Ana wind. The forecast is no secret but it looks pleasantly nice in the morning so you go out. Then it happens and when you look towards the beach you notice the ocean surface turning very dark with a distinct line coming at you. When that dark ocean gets to you it's like the fan was put on high and from a direction that pushes you out to sea. Take them seriously.
grey zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 10:50 PM   #8
fishnfoool

Not catching any fish
fishnfoool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 06:40 AM   #9
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruiz View Post
Having to pinch a loaf on the water and the aftermath of having mud butt for the rest of the day. Just typing about it gave me goosebumps

That's why I always carry the Costco 30 packs of toilet paper

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 06:50 AM   #10
Pocoloco

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruiz View Post
catching brown trout
Pocoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 06:55 AM   #11
jorluivil

Capsizing?
Only when I'm sleeping

Manowar's?
Eels?
Sting Rays?
Nope
Nope
Nope

Sharks?
just the one time that I caught a 6-7' GWS a few hundred yards from the Hermosa Beach and the time I was out hooping and a hammerhead was circling us and bumping the kayaks

Whales?
just the one time that Tony and I were out hooping and a whale surfaced a few feet from us in the dark

Seals?
I welcome them with open arms

Hypothermia?
just the time that I decided to fish LJ in the wintertime and I forgot my seater and splash jacket in the car and damn near froze my ass off.

Weather?
just the time we were out hooping and there were a bunch lightning strikes happening near the launch, the same launch that we needed t get back to

Bigger Boaters?
just the time that I was out fishing alone in the dark and forgot my headlamp and almost got hit by a boat...........my fault of course

Piracy?
just the time that I fished the Red Sea but as soon as I told those Somali pirates what time it was they left me alone

Telling about it will help others avoid the same. Share concerns or experiences on this thread.[/QUOTE]

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 07:27 AM   #12
skrilla

Inshore: kooks

Offshore: not enough ice or killbag for 100lb+ bluefin

Bay: wondering if my cat is being stolen
Old 05-21-2021, 08:18 AM   #13
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawny View Post
Could be all along the same lines but for me it's:

Unexpected bad weather -> Capsizing/catastrophic kayak failure -> Panicking and forgetting all the important safety protocol -> Hypothermia -> Shark attack

I'm definitely on the more paranoid side when it comes to kayak fishing preparedness but better safe the sorry right?
Agree, always better to be over-prepared than under. If your budget can afford it you might even consider a position locator beacon.

https://www.amazon.com/personal-loca...locator+beacon
Old 05-21-2021, 08:18 AM   #14
SoCalEDC

Weather is my primary concern. wind flipping or intensifying and becoming a strong offshore breeze is always a concern when out a ways. I carry a PLB for that reason.

Fog/visibility is also something to consider. have a radio, a brightly colored pfd, and some kind of noise making device. If the fog rolls in its wise to have a magnetic compass on board. Last year me and a few other guys (a couple who post here) were out in very dense fog, we could hear boats and whales all around us but could only see them once they were within about 50 yards. We didn't anticipate the fog but it showed up anyways. there was a point where we broke off into two groups and group a had to text group b the coords to their location and it was probably only 1/4 mile away but we couldn't see or hear them at all. If one of us had gone into the drink and not been able to get back on the kayak there is no way the unlucky bastard would have been found.

Weekend warrior boaters are probably my second largest concern on the water behind shitty weather. Assholes don't pay any attention, cant see us, don't care, who knows, but they seem to be the most hazardous threat to kayakers on our area.

Not really concerned about jellies or rays, sharks are a bit troubling but I do my best to avoid hanging fish on a game clip or anything like that.

Whales do not concern me, I think they get curious and they can throw a wake if they breach, but for the most part I don't worry about them.

Not worried about pirates (should I be?)

Seals don't tend to bother me much, usually just curious as well. Did get spooked by one charging me from about 100' down, watched it on the sounder and didn't know what it was until it surfaced, Just saw the huge yellow blob screaming up from the depths right toward me (the trajectory looked like the opposite of what a jig looks like when it falls is that makes sense). he surfaced about 3 feet off my starboard side, not sure if he was being territorial or just curious as to what was going on, may have been looking for a fishy hand out too.
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 09:18 AM   #15
TheBentRod

Concerns

Wind and GWS. Pretty much if anything else happens, I am comfortable with my safety measures and plan. I hate wind over 12 knots.
TheBentRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 10:50 AM   #16
Salty

About the same for me as others have posted and any combination of them:

-Ignorant/Arrogant boaters
-Unexpected bad weather, especially fog+boaters
-Hull failure/sinking
-Landlord/Taxman/Grey Suits

Been in some very sketchy situations offshore in the boat, but the worst so far in a kayak was while at Dana Point, fishing solo about 5+ miles out chasing a massive cloud of diving birds. Payed more attention the the fishing than the weather changing around. Wind had shifted offshore with strong gusts. The swell and wind chop got huge and was coming from mixed directions like a washing machine. The part that made it really sink in was almost getting hit by a sailboat because the swell was so big, I was completely hidden in the trough, even with flag and rods up. Took almost 3 hours using the pedal drive and paddles together to get back to the harbor. Was exhausted, soaked, sunburnt and crusty as hell.

Another sketchy moment was when the rudder line on my Passport 12 broke outside the harbor wall at DP making me spin in portside circles as some significant swell pushed me closer to the rocks. That kayak does not have a retractable rudder control and I couldn't safely reach it from the topside. Fortunately I was able to get my friend on the radio to help pull the rudder up for me. Otherwise, I'd have had to get wet... I was very close to the rocks to begin with, so that could have gotten dangerous real quick.

Stay safe out there!
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 11:42 AM   #17
ctfphoto

Wind kills more kayakers than anything else.

Beware of the wind
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 12:26 PM   #18
SoCalEDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
using the pedal drive and paddles together
Lol. 4x4 yakkin
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 12:17 AM   #19
JohnMckroidJr

Derelict big boaters are the greatest danger to smaller vessels in my area. Some of them have their stereo blasting and are just not paying attention, others are going out of their way to steer straight at kayakers and leave them a big wake to deal with. When I see one headed my way, I always make it a point to turn on the GoPro camera for documentation. If the boater sees this, they often veer off. There have been a couple of close incidents that became viral videos and subsequently, the large vessel operators received some fall out that will make it less likely to occur again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
Thank you @qualifiedcaptain, right?? And it's true, my less ocean-oriented friends and family always ask me if I'm afraid of sharks when I'm so far offshore in just a small kayak. The threat of sharks rarely crosses my mind out there. But an idiot at the helm of a dual outboard center console is always terrifying...
Yes sir, USCG Lic. Master, Unlimited tonnage any ocean. I spent 3 decades navigating ships to avoid those pesky (15-150ft) smaller targets on or off the radar. Sometimes it's easier to make a big course change to go around a busy area. Other times(like in places like the yellow sea) it's a floating city of fishing boats. No going around it -- hand steering and standby engines the entire watch.

Like your Non-salty friends, mine unfamiliar with the ocean think of sharks as the biggest fear.

Although I have had some aggressive shark encounters, and one very humbling visit by a Hammerhead with a girth much bigger than my kayak, Irresponsible boaters remain my biggest concern. According to google, about 600 deaths a year with the biggest contributing factors being
1.Improper lookout
2.Excessive speed
3.Operator inattention
4.Operator inexperience
5.Alcohol use

About 400 of those deaths are drownings, and 80 percent of those are because they were not wearing a lifejacket. A good reminder to always wear your lifejacket.
Old 05-22-2021, 07:36 AM   #20
Gflann

Capsizing?
-Kind of goes with weather. Everyone on here has probably spooked themselves once on being offshore and it getting unexpectedly snotty. On the way in I found semi slouching in my seat as I pedaled, right hand on the tiller and left hand grabbing the left side of my seat rail kept me as stable as possible navigating snotty, uneven swell. It’s a tense situation all the way until you touch dry land. I have some peace of mind all the way in knowing that if I capsize I have a PFD and the proper clothing. One thing I give myself crap for not having is a radio clipped to my PFD.

Manowar's?
-Nah
Eels?
-Nah
Sting Rays?
Very rare. Shuffle on the launch and try to ride all the way in on the landing. If not have polarized glasses to look down before hopping off.

I got stung this year. But only because on the launch both my seat clips broke, so I had to get out to rotate the seat to my other set of clips. Got back in and then my drive pod popped out (shame on me for not checking it the night before) and had to hop out again. Fixed it, hopped back in for it to pop again (needed a spacer), didnt have my paddle put together so quickly put it together but 90 degrees off. Had to hop out a third time. All this in the middle of a surf set. So I’m holding onto the kayak trying to troubleshoot. Third time getting out I step on a stingray.

Point to this long story...if I had properly checked my equipment and had my paddle put together and lashed to the side in case of pedal drive failure on the launch I wouldnt have had to hop out three times, each time increasing my risk of stingray injury. Irony to this story is the trip before this disaster, I caught my PB Yellowtail. I’m usually good at checking my equipment but just got lazy.

Painful, yes. But you recover quickly by soaking it in hot water. I was able to walk 18 holes at Balboa golf course the next day. Still swollen and sore for a week.

Sharks?
-In the back of my mind, but I’m also in a 12.5’ kayak. So not really swimming with them. But I dont fish with my feet off the side.

Whales?
-I’ve been in a big bait ball when they have shown up. I pull up all my gear and pedal away fast. If they accidentally hit me, I’m toast. And if there’s a calf you could be in for a bad day if mom thinks you’re threatening.

Seals?
-Good sign its a fishy spot.

Hypothermia?
-In the winter dont mess with this. I used to wear waders with booties always with a wader belt. Topped with a paddle jacket and PFD. My only critique on waders are if you dont wear the belt to keep it water tight and the challenge with pissing. I switched to paddle pants that have gaskets at the waist and ankles.

If you fall off, I’d guess it would take 5-7 min to get back in for myself if there’s a little swell. If its capsized, 10-15 min. Without proper gear hypothermia might have you shaking so bad you dont have the dexterity to haul yourself in.

Weather? See capsize.

Bigger Boaters?
-Keep your head on a swivel. Consider a small air horn in a pocket on your seat. If you watch a guy headed your way and he’s not at least looking in your direction that might help. ALWAYS watch the wake roll in even if it interrupts fishing. Position bow or stern into it. Grab onto the seat rail to help you stay steady in the kayak.

Piracy?
-Seals stealing my bait. But that’s a catch 22. Also means the area is fishy. So I’ve learned to embrace those sea dawgs.

1. Spend $ on equipment that will save your life.
2. Use said equipment properly
3. Be comfortable with righting a capsized kayak and getting back in
4. Always check the weather. Establish personal limits.
5. When you screw up 3 and 4, 1 and 2 will save your life.