Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 04-23-2021, 08:27 AM   #1
daperrin
www.TheKayakLaunch

King Harbor - Looking for a fishing partner Sat 4/24

Hey anybody want to meet up tomorrow at King Harbor? Will be there around 5:30am. Not sure if the old kayak dock is back but figured I could launch at the boat hoist, worst case. Reply or PM me.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@thekayaklaunch
https://www.instagram.com/thekayaklaunch
daperrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 08:34 AM   #2
socal.beach.bum

I’ll be there tomorrow with a buddy, 6am
PA 360’s
socal.beach.bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 06:22 PM   #3
AlwaysFishing

David the hand launch dock is now open. They don't allow hand launch from the dock at the boat hoist anymore. You can use the hoist but it will cause you $18. The bait barge is also open as well. I saw boats getting bait there last week.
Me and a couple of guys are hitting the BreakWall tomorrow.

Good luck tomorrow gentlemen.

-Quang
AlwaysFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 05:52 AM   #4
Mahigeer

Thank you for the information.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 08:27 AM   #5
Saba Slayer

Bait

The new owners of the bait receiver and Redondo Sportfishing are very enthusiastic about making their new operation a success...They are running five boats out of the landing now and fishing Santa Barbara Island frequently since they're the closest landing to that Rock...
Mike from the old Inseine Bait Co. is still working the receiver and they are offering $10 kayak scoops of some beautiful Sardines......a $5 tip doesn't hurt at that rate and it helps to keep Mike happy...LOL
Newport, Dana, and SD all charge $20 for a kayaker......it's tough to tip em at that rate unless your splitting a scoop with a friend...

I wish we could get the old parking rate reinstated...perhaps Redondo Sportfishing at the Bait Receiver could give a validation with the purchase of bait...?

Here's a copy of an old petition I passed around and I'm thinking of starting again now that things are getting closer to normal and maybe the City Council and Harbormaster may have the time to listen...

"We the undersigned, respectfully request that the Redondo Beach Harbor Commission and the City Council reinstate the “hand launch” flat rate for the Marina Parking lot. The hand launch is the only safe location within miles to access the harbor and open ocean for SUPs and Kayaks. Marina Del Rey and San Pedro are the next safe coastal access locations without a dangerous surf launch. This launch is especially helpful for the young, old or the beginner. With the increase to $2 per hour for parking the city has made it more difficult for families and those on lower or set incomes to enjoy a lengthy stay in the harbor.
The flat rate will help to increase the number of people visiting your area and encourage them to spend their money on food, drinks, ice and gas rather than $2 per hour on parking. The on-street parking around the lot may also become more congested for local parking if we are forced to unload and then park for free on the city streets.
At this time there are two special rates already existing at the Marina parking lot; the Sport Fishing operation has a special rate for their customers as does the Boat Hoist.
In the past a simple visual inspection by the parking attendant would verify if the car leaving the lot had a SUP or a kayak and they would be eligible for the “hand launch” flat rate.
PLEASE REINSTATE THE “HAND LAUNCH’ FLAT RATE FOR PARKING IN THE REDONDO BEACH KING HARBOR MARINA LOT.
COASTAL ACCESS AND ESPECIALLY AFFORDABLE COASTAL ACCESS IS AN INTREGAL PART OF OUR BEAUTIFUL CALIFORNIA COASTLINE AND IT SHOULD BE AVAILABLE TO ALL YOUR LOCAL CONSTITUENTS...ESPECIALLY THE YOUNG, THE OLD AND THOSE ON A FIXED INCOME."

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 07:07 PM   #6
TJones

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba Slayer View Post
The new owners of the bait receiver and Redondo Sportfishing are very enthusiastic about making their new operation a success...They are running five boats out of the landing now and fishing Santa Barbara Island frequently since they're the closest landing to that Rock...
Mike from the old Inseine Bait Co. is still working the receiver and they are offering $10 kayak scoops of some beautiful Sardines......a $5 tip doesn't hurt at that rate and it helps to keep Mike happy...LOL
Newport, Dana, and SD all charge $20 for a kayaker......it's tough to tip em at that rate unless your splitting a scoop with a friend...

I wish we could get the old parking rate reinstated...perhaps Redondo Sportfishing at the Bait Receiver could give a validation with the purchase of bait...?

Here's a copy of an old petition I passed around and I'm thinking of starting again now that things are getting closer to normal and maybe the City Council and Harbormaster may have the time to listen...

"We the undersigned, respectfully request that the Redondo Beach Harbor Commission and the City Council reinstate the “hand launch” flat rate for the Marina Parking lot. The hand launch is the only safe location within miles to access the harbor and open ocean for SUPs and Kayaks. Marina Del Rey and San Pedro are the next safe coastal access locations without a dangerous surf launch. This launch is especially helpful for the young, old or the beginner. With the increase to $2 per hour for parking the city has made it more difficult for families and those on lower or set incomes to enjoy a lengthy stay in the harbor.
The flat rate will help to increase the number of people visiting your area and encourage them to spend their money on food, drinks, ice and gas rather than $2 per hour on parking. The on-street parking around the lot may also become more congested for local parking if we are forced to unload and then park for free on the city streets.
At this time there are two special rates already existing at the Marina parking lot; the Sport Fishing operation has a special rate for their customers as does the Boat Hoist.
In the past a simple visual inspection by the parking attendant would verify if the car leaving the lot had a SUP or a kayak and they would be eligible for the “hand launch” flat rate.
PLEASE REINSTATE THE “HAND LAUNCH’ FLAT RATE FOR PARKING IN THE REDONDO BEACH KING HARBOR MARINA LOT.
COASTAL ACCESS AND ESPECIALLY AFFORDABLE COASTAL ACCESS IS AN INTREGAL PART OF OUR BEAUTIFUL CALIFORNIA COASTLINE AND IT SHOULD BE AVAILABLE TO ALL YOUR LOCAL CONSTITUENTS...ESPECIALLY THE YOUNG, THE OLD AND THOSE ON A FIXED INCOME."
Thank you for your time and effort to help us out.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 07:01 AM   #7
AlwaysFishing

Jim, thank you for the information. $10 for a kayak scoop is a very fair price. I will definitely be buying bait now that I know the price is fair.
The boat hoist have a validate for all day parking for $4.

Quote:

Old 04-27-2021, 07:05 AM   #8
Saba Slayer

Hoist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysFishing View Post
Jim, thank you for the information. $10 for a kayak scoop is a very fair price. I will definitely be buying bait now that I know the price is fair.
The boat hoist have a validate for all day parking for $4.
Sooo...If I pay $18 bucks for the hoist I can park for $4...LOL

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 06:44 AM   #9
deptrai

Didn't realize the $4 parking rate no longer existed for kayaks. When did that go away?
deptrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 04:48 AM   #10
jorluivil

The $4 rate went away months ago but what the parking lot attendant told me a few weeks ago was that the clock for the hourly rate does not start until 10am, it used to start at 7am. I'm certain this will change as soon as this covid thing goes away.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 05:35 AM   #11
AlwaysFishing

I don't mind paying $24 for them to hoist my Solo Skiff in/out of the water with parking. I just load everything onto the Solo Skiff, drive up to the hoist, they pick it up, I go park my truck and jump in the Solo Skiff and off I go. No heavy lifting and my old back thanks me. It is a great option for me.
All of last year, I was using the hand launch with my Topwater and paid around $16-$18 anyway. Only a few dollars difference is a no brainer for me. It cost me $20 if I use the hoist on Monday-Thursday because parking is free.
The only negative is they don't opens until 7am on during the week. They opens at 6am on weekends.

Quote:
Sooo...If I pay $18 bucks for the hoist I can park for $4...LOL
Old 04-30-2021, 01:06 AM   #12
greenscales
greenscales

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysFishing View Post
I don't mind paying $24 for them to hoist my Solo Skiff in/out of the water with parking. I just load everything onto the Solo Skiff, drive up to the hoist, they pick it up, I go park my truck and jump in the Solo Skiff and off I go. No heavy lifting and my old back thanks me. It is a great option for me.
All of last year, I was using the hand launch with my Topwater and paid around $16-$18 anyway. Only a few dollars difference is a no brainer for me. It cost me $20 if I use the hoist on Monday-Thursday because parking is free.
The only negative is they don't opens until 7am on during the week. They opens at 6am on weekends.

My solution is to parking $ is launch mid-day and fish the evening bites and come back late. Not sure about the hours now, but usually free exit at 11PM. If I got loaded back up early would go over to Naja’s and milk a pint. Just have the right electronics and lights w/plenty of battery life. Also look/listen for boat traffic and make sure they see you. Specially the Ava Foss, she’s fast.

Usually a Great night bite w/current for Checkerboards and Grumpies at the various Artificial Reefs fishing structure with the meter. Hit rockfish or halibut spots first, keep an eye open for WSB activity around sunset. Of course Bones and Slime Sticks when the water warms. NB - I never use bait.

Only problem at night is the human one on shore. Seen a ton of cops chasing what they said was a poacher one night (I think smuggler or he just wasn’t wearing a mask). Also tried to get a hand from a guy to weigh a fish, he said ok but needed to use the restroom first. He jumps out of the outhouse in his underwear 10 minutes later high as a kite, singing and dancing - at least he forgot I asked for help.

I hope to be back out in a few months and will be looking for a buddy to join in a PM trip. Nursing a 2nd shoulder break and rebuild in 2 years, so not able to the launch alone and uncertain about handling big fish on the water. So if interested in learning night techniques, look for me to post a few days before a full or new moon in June.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greenscales is offline   Reply With Quote